Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

ABS not working + other error codes - '04 Corolla E120

04E12Corolla

Hello,

I had my car serviced a few months ago (2004 Toyota Corolla e120). Changed shock absorbers, brake lines, brake fluid, a front wheel bearing and many more small parts.

Everything works fine. Today I had to brake harder and I noticed that my ABS is not working. I have no error codes when I start or drive the car. I used a universal OBD tester and no errors were reported.

Then I remembered from a few years ago that I can check for errors by shorting the TC and CG pins. I did that and I got some errors. I made a video and uploaded it on youtube

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR4oxwaCplY

From what I see in the video I have a code 14 for the airbag system, codes 41, 44 and 52 for the power steering and the ABS light is flashing.

I tried searching for a list of the codes but i could not find one.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what those codes mean and what the ABS flashing light means. I would like to figure this out before going back to the mechanic. I suspect that various connectors and plugs were disconnected and reconnected and maybe some contacts were oxidized and now the connections are not OK.

I should mention that the car runs fine and I get these lights only when I short the 2 pins. The brakes work OK except for the ABS part. If I brake hard the brakes lock and that never happened until now. I do get the vibration in the brake pedal but the wheels lock. 

Also I remember that there is a procedure to delete all codes. It involved connecting and disconnecting the TC and CG pins a certain number of times in a time interval but I do not remember the procedure. I used it successfully 4 years ago and I forgot the steps.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi,

Those codes could be from years ago ?  so best to wipe them and see what new ones come up.

Not sure how you know which codes refer to the ABS or PS or Abag ?  on the video for code 1 4 both the PS and ABS light flashing away ?

Only know of disconnecting the Battery to clear the old codes  or to remove the EFI fuse for a minute.

This ABS pdf from a US model might give you some clues, should be very similar to the UK model.

_diagnostics - ABS.pdf

18 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Those codes could be from years ago ?  so best to wipe them and see what new ones come up.

Not sure how you know which codes refer to the ABS or PS or Abag ?  on the video for code 1 4 both the PS and ABS light flashing away ?

Only know of disconnecting the battery to clear the old codes  or to remove the EFI fuse for a minute.

This ABS pdf from a US model might give you some clues, should be very similar to the UK model.

_diagnostics - ABS.pdf 721.15 kB · 0 downloads

Hello,

Thank you for the reply and PDF file. Last time I checked the codes and cleared them was in 2016 but those were other codes. The ABS and power steering had no faults. I tend to have a hard braking moment 4-5 times a year and the ABS has worked perfectly until now. 

Each dash light flashes the codes. The P/S light flashers 4 times, than pauses than flashes once than pauses a bit longer. That's 41. After that it flashes 4 times, pauses and flashes another 4 times. That's 44. After that it flashes 5 times, pauses and flashes once. That's 52.

The Airbag light flashes once, pauses and flashes 4 times. That's 14.

To see the codes, play the video once and focus on counting a single dash light (like the Airbag). After that pay it again and focus on the P/S and count the flashes. 

I don't know what the ABS continuous and rapid flashing means. 

In 2016 I found a method of clearing the codes that involved quickly disconnecting and connecting the TC and CG pins a few times but I forgot the procedure. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links