Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedo overreading?

piperdave

Hi, i have a 2013 Aurus hybrid. I feel that the speedo is over reading. This is deduced by three things. 1) my driving experience of over 50 years. 2) matching it against my satnav ( non toyota) which was accurate in my old car. This shows that at an indicated 30 mph in the car, satnav shows 26 mph, and it feels like 26 mph. 3) i believe that these cars will only  work in EV up to 40 mph, but in mine it seems to show over 40  before the engine takes over. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix?

Dave

No fix unless you want to have the speedo recalibrated.

EU legislation requires that the indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h.

UK legislation from 1986 differs slightly in that for all actual speeds between 25mph and 70mph (or the vehicle's maximum speed if lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25mph. For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

Both require that speedometers should never under read - ie show less than the true speed

Manufacturers calibrate the speedometers to fall within the above tolerances, and the degree of 'over-reading' can vary from model to model.

Sat navs shown an average speed over a given number of points, so, although usually more accurate than speedometers, there is still a difference between the sat nav's average speed and the car's true speed.

Hi, my car is exactly the same. Always a lot less than the actual speed , but that’s ok . The higher the speed the larger difference becomes, I have  different wheels and tyres which may set off a bit the speedo but just a tiny bit and I have that huge difference even before the wheels change . 

Hi, I had the same issue with my 2012 Auris, sometime in about 2016 (I think) I contacted Toyota customer services and was told that the speedometer was within legal limits and the industry guidelines. In other words "Tough". I have lived with it now for over 8 years in total and it has not detracted from my enjoyment of the car much (I have ordered a Corolla for September delivery because I have liked the Auris). My issue is that if, for  example, it is reading 15% high, then where does it pick up the information (sensor)...ABS.? Does this mean that the odometer is also showing 15% more miles on the clock when selling the car, is the car being serviced 15% more times than necessary and calculating true MPG are my calculations 15% high as I replace used fuel and calculate using the odometer (also the issue of mileage restrictions for insurance purposes and lease agreements could enter into the equasion). In this day and age you would think that a GPS based system would be a better option but for some reason this is not available (maybe reliability issues close to high buildings..?). Almost all cars read over the actual speed but my Auris seems to be the worst one for that, however, having said all of this there are a lot of things that I like about the Auris and have enjoyed owning it for eight and a half years.

"They're all like that, sir!". Anecdotal evidence from the forum suggests the speedo over-reads in the 7-8% range which is more than my previous couple of cars from the VW Group.

Trip meter compared to a GPS unit with good signal seems accurate in my experience.

• Like 1

It’s just for the speed, and it’s not a big deal. There is even a positive side, while driving through speed cameras and you are slightly over the mark, with other cars may well get a ticket but with Toyota rarely, safety future.👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links