Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake fluid change

Excel777

My car is due for a brake fluid change.  I have read that a Toyota dealership in North London do it for £50.  This seems a bit cheap. Do they flush the fluid out or bleed it at each of the wheels before refilling? Or do they just use something like a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the reservoir before refilling?

I would imagine they bleed each wheel cylinder properly which also ensures the fluid in the whole system (ABS pump etc) is flushed out and fresh. Just emptying and refilling the visible reservoir does nothing useful at all. They may also use diagnostic/test equipment to run the ABS pump and ensure it is properly bled of air. 

Properly done procedure through each wheel will be an 1.5hrs at least labour, if they have some special tools that can suck all the fluid through the reservoir and refill with fresh then is another story but if only fluid changed is the one on the reservoir anyone can do it itself and will cost only the brake fluid and 100ml syringe plus 8mm tube, around 15-20£ all together. Best way to check if brake fluid is flushed through each wheel is to check the callipers for some small leaks around the breeder valves, there is always a tiny bit of fluid around these places after flushed. 👍 

33 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Properly done procedure through each wheel will be an 1.5hrs at least labour

Not necessarily - Brake fluid change is easily done under an hour at a garage. Put vehicle on ramp and use mechanical fluid change equipment (different brands are available) which connects to an air supply. The fluid is actually pushed through the lines with air pressure rather than 'sucked out' as mentioned above. Using a clear bottle connected by tube to the caliper bleed valve, you can see when the fluid runs clear. Do this for all 4 braking corners.

Procedure time less than an hour and an easy method. 

• Like 1

As HS78. I changed my own about two months ago. Used a pressure hand pump/reservoir screwed on to the  car's reservoir, pressurisd to 15psi/1bar and opened each bleed nipple in turn starting at the furthest from the master cylinder. Didn't have to raise the car at all. Took less than an hour. Observe the fluid level in the pump unit and maintain the pressure. Sucked out some of the car's reservoir first leaving enough so as not to introduce any air. Total cost - about £25 including the pump and Comma DOT4 fluid (Amazon Warehouse, damaged box!) which can be used again many times.

Brakes are working fine!

• Like 2

Thanks for answers... I don't think I am confident to change the brake fluid on my own... But it's good to know how things are supposed to be done.  I will check bleeder valves!

Hopefully the fuid has been changed at sometime during the car's seven years life?

If it has there shouldn't be any issues with the bleed nipples. They do sometimes seize if untouched for a length of time. That could turn into a widescreen epic if they are!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links