Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full size spare for the 1.8 corolla

Korgrocker

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Did you reply by pm to Devon Aygo's post of 5/9/19.?

I did.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not just about fuel saving - emissions are also a factor.

Are they not linked?

My dealer gave me the option during the sale to have a TRK or a spare wheel.  It was also made clear i would loose boot space if i went for a spare wheel so my decision to go for a spare wheel was well informed.

In hindsight i think i would have preferred the boot space however if a tyre gets damaged in a way that a TRK wouldn't help then overall i'd rather just have the spare wheel!

On 9/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not just about fuel saving - emissions are also a factor.

Probably not much I'd have thought. Weight is generally only a factor when accelerating. There will also be a slight increase in rolling resistance. But compared to the weight of a car and its occupants it seems unlikely it would have much impact at any time. We're talking about another - perhaps - 20kg? So that's ~1.4% of the vehicle weight. So is presumably responsible for an additional 1.4% of emissions or fuel consumption, at most.

The idea that removing the spare wheel saves fuel or reduces emissions has never made much sense to me. I think it's more about reducing the manufacturing costs. Penny pinching basically. It's just that my personal experience means that I don't care much either way. In fact it's better because now I only have to maintain four tyres instead of having to muck about emptying my boot to check a fifth that I never use.

23 hours ago, chicken_george said:

It would help if the Toyota website facts are correct. Two sources told me I would get a space saver as standard. I didn't. 

Thanks for the chassis number, double checked today and your car was ordered as and is considered as having a spare wheel however when i look at your car on the parts catalogue it says no spare, what has your dealer said have you spoken to Toyota?

Capture.PNG

I’ve set my dealer a challenge (well 2 actually). First was to get a tow bar fitted to my Excel HB, as Toyota don’t list one for it (only the ST apparently). The local fitter they use said no problem - in my case it’s only for a cycle carrier. 

Second, and relevant to this thread, is to see if they can fit a space-saver in place of the trk. I test drove a 2.0l Design, and that had one, so although it’s not officially available for the Excel I’m hoping they’ll sort it for me. We shall see. 

ETA: Just had a call from them - yes, it can be done - for £640!!  That’s the cost of remodelling the boot to remove the trk and allow the wheel to fit. Hmmm, well it’ll be eBay or the like for a suitable space saver, and have a look see myself at what mods might be required. And if it’s too complicated I’ll just keep the spare in the boot!

Edited by rafletcher

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 10:43 AM, rafletcher said:

I’ve set my dealer a challenge (well 2 actually). First was to get a tow bar fitted to my Excel HB, as Toyota don’t list one for it (only the ST apparently). The local fitter they use said no problem - in my case it’s only for a cycle carrier. 

Second, and relevant to this thread, is to see if they can fit a space-saver in place of the trk. I test drove a 2.0l Design, and that had one, so although it’s not officially available for the Excel I’m hoping they’ll sort it for me. We shall see. 

ETA: Just had a call from them - yes, it can be done - for £640!!  That’s the cost of remodelling the boot to remove the trk and allow the wheel to fit. Hmmm, well it’ll be eBay or the like for a suitable space saver, and have a look see myself at what mods might be required. And if it’s too complicated I’ll just keep the spare in the boot!

Let us know how you get on, maybe post a picture? It is mad that there is no spare wheel. I had a puncture not to long before I got my new Excel, last car was a SAAB. AA man was really pleased that I had a spare wheel, and said the number of cars now with a trk is increasing. No good unless you notice a nail in your tyre on your driveway before you set off, then you stand a chance of a temporary repair using the trk..

For piece of mind, £640 may just be worth it, depending on your view.

58 minutes ago, Timmon said:

and said the number of cars now with a trk is increasing.

9 out of 10 new apparently

3 hours ago, Timmon said:

Let us know how you get on, maybe post a picture? It is mad that there is no spare wheel. I had a puncture not to long before I got my new Excel, last car was a SAAB. AA man was really pleased that I had a spare wheel, and said the number of cars now with a trk is increasing. No good unless you notice a nail in your tyre on your driveway before you set off, then you stand a chance of a temporary repair using the trk..

For piece of mind, £640 may just be worth it, depending on your view.

I've decided to wait and see - but I have in parallel purchased an aftermarket space-saver kit, so I do have a spare, albeit one with limited range, and that can go in the boot / back seat if I'm straying any distance from home. I'll re-assess (given that the workshop work can be done any time at the local dealer if I do eventually get the work done) once I've seen the  car in the flesh and decided whether or not I can make the necessary mods neatly. 

One other reason (apart from the fact it ruins the tyre) for not using the TRK is that it can also damage the TPMS sensor.  And the TRK need regular replacement.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone managed to fit a full size spare wheel for the corolla? I saw a thread for fitting a spare wheel but not a full size one, personally i'd feel much more confident in having a full size spare just in case something happens while im on a journey. Looking at the hole for the spare wheel it seems it could barely fit one?

Hi you can only fit a space saver wheel in the Corolla which is still  better than the tyre repair kit. Plus don't forget you will need a jack and wheel brace as well a spare 

Hi.Like many drivers of the New Corolla 2.0 Hatchback Hybid I suspect. I would prefer the option of a spare wheel to give a little added confidence on a long trip.

Instead of the tyre inflation kit. Is this a feasable option. I heard that if requested when  ordering your new car, this is a  possability

Although this was not mentioned in my case, when I  placed my ordered  In 2019. has anybody any thoughts or success with this problem.

Al

The parts department of your Toyota dealer will sell you the entire kit, including spacesaver wheel/tyre, jack, wheelbrace, and modified boot floor if necessary. Not sure what it would cost for the Corolla but I recently bought the complete spare wheel kit for our C-HR and the dealer charged £293. (There was also some joker selling the exact same thing on eBay for nearly £400!)

Alternatively there are online suppliers who sell a suitable sized generic spare wheel and jack for about £150, but that will not come with any modified boot floor trim etc (if that is necessary on the Corolla?)

Cheers. Thanks for that information.

I will look into it, and see what they come up with. Having a spare fitted as standard would be the ideal. Even if only a space saver.

I mentioned the 1.8 hybrid on the title since the 2.0 has the Battery in the boot so i don't know if a spare will fit there. Obviously a spare is much better than the tyre repair kit but i would feel even more comfortable if i had a full size one.

Hi i have a 2.0 hybrid hatchback with a spare wheel kit which fits no problem. 

10 hours ago, Top Drive said:

Cheers. Thanks for that information.

I will look into it, and see what they come up with. Having a spare fitted as standard would be the ideal. Even if only a space saver.

Fitting a Spare in to a 2.0 is simple you need:

Parts required for a 2.0 HB install:

Retaining bolt ( for space saver ) 51931-02320

Floor foam 64778-02050

RH "Tool" foam 64995-02120

Space saver wheel 42611-0F091

Tyre 125/70D17

jack 09111-F4010

jack handle 09113-F4010

Wrench 09150-F4010

LH Floor support 64744-02070-C1

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:08 PM, King Crimson said:

Has anyone managed to fit a full size spare wheel for the corolla? I saw a thread for fitting a spare wheel but not a full size one, personally i'd feel much more confident in having a full size spare just in case something happens while im on a journey. Looking at the hole for the spare wheel it seems it could barely fit one?

1.8 Touring sport is simple to add a Spare wheel the Hatchback is another storey, Toyota initially made a kit available but it has been withdrawn as it was not fitting correctly, further investigation found way more parts than initially thought would be required, Total parts count is 27 items and the retail price is over £2k and some parts are not easily available, so considering the price and parts availability Toyota are investigating alternative options.

• Like 1

Can anyone post a picture of a 1.8 Corolla Hybrid HB with spare wheel fitted from the factory, as that is what I have ordered. Thanks

Thank you Adrian just the very information I needed. Next month I shall have delivery of a Corolla Excel so I asked this very question TWICE to Totota Customer Support (via their own website). They did not even bother to acknowledge the communication. Currently I have an Auris 2012 with an unused spare space saver and jack etc. so when it goes to the trade you can guess what I shall be keeping (I am sure the retailer can source one at trade price)... I understand the reasons (economy figures and cost) but I really dislike this trend of supplying a TRK (that may or may not work) rather than a something that will at the very least get me out of trouble. Thanks again.!

Hi has anyone managed to find a suitable space saver wheel/ tyre for a 2019 Corolla icon hatchback 1.8 hybrid? Have been trying to source one myself but am not sure which one to order. Any help much appreciated as don't want to be dependant on tyre repair kit. Has anyone used the RoadHero space saver for Corolla 2012 onwards?

Edited by Scarylibrarian
Put in more detail

9 hours ago, Scarylibrarian said:

Hi has anyone managed to find a suitable space saver wheel/ tyre for a 2019 Corolla icon hatchback 1.8 hybrid? Have been trying to source one myself but am not sure which one to order. Any help much appreciated as don't want to be dependant on tyre repair kit. Has anyone used the RoadHero space saver for Corolla 2012 onwards?

The wheel ins't the issue and can be purchased from Toyota:

Space saver wheel 42611-0F091

Tyre 125/70D17

however in a 1.8 Hatch back there is no where for the wheel to go, the car needs a full kit of parts ( under development ) to install a raised floor to allow fitment of the wheel.

Thank you Devon Argo. Will contact my dealer to order this wheel/tyre. Don't carry much in the boot so will get my husband to devise a way of safely carrying it. Best wishes Jan

I have fitted a 16" wheel in the place of the spare saver. In a few days I'll buy an iron wheel with second hand tyre. No problem in fitting but I have the sport tourer model.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 16" iron wheel with a used tire and fitted to my Sport Tourer (1,8L). It fits perfectly leaving space for extra things.

The first photo is before cleaning the wheel. The next one is after a lot of sweat, spray for cleaning breaks, 2 buckets of water and soap!

The correct dimensions for the centre are 5X114,3mm. I also tried a 16" wheel from a previous Prius model but it didn't fit. I paid 60€ for it.

Keep in mind that its the Sport Tourer model, in a few days my brothers 2020 Corolla will arrive so I will test if it fits the hutcback model.

IMG_20200915_142902.jpg

IMG_20200916_115219.jpg

IMG_20200916_115404.jpg

When we removed the front wheel to test fit the spare, I saw this rust in the center hub. I don't know if its normal for a 8 months old car. The technician in the Tyre shop told me that it is normal.

IMG_20200915_140708.jpg