Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full size spare for the 1.8 corolla

Korgrocker

44 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

Interesting! I've always assumed that whilst being a lot narrower space savers had the same rolling diameter as the standard tyres. I hope I never have to rely on this tip! 

You are right , on paper it is indeed or it’s likely to be, however in reality is very different. I had that bad experience hitting a massive pothole on the motorway and after fitting the oem space saver to get home the car was immediately whining, and was bad, to the point that I had to stop and put it on the rear axle and the whining gone straightaway. 👌

👍yes I did think it says something about only fitting to rear but who wants to change 2 in the rain or dark/ Roadside!!!.

Re rolling measurements, I didn't check but standing it side by side, looks good for emergency. 

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

And one more thing about Space savers, mount only on rear axle, if you have a puncture on the front tyres lift up the car more so you have both front and rear wheels off the ground and swap the tyres so drive axle always has same size tyres, otherwise you are putting a huge stress and heat on transmission, particularly differential bearings and gears. , this can be felt immediately after driving off like whining noises, and do not exceed the max speed allowed 50mph. 👍

👍cheers bud

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I fitted a Full size spare wheel to my T27 Avensis 2010 2.0 D4D Tourer,  Has anyone done the same with the Corolla Touring Sports, It looks like the 1.8 model wheel well may have room for a full size spare.

Not tried but you are right, it does  look as if the punctured alloy wheel would fit. 

Topics merged.

When I bought my T27 Avensis 2010 2.0 D4D Tourer, I immediatly bought a wheel and tyre exactly the same size as the other 4 wheels on the car, I opened the boot and exchanged the space saver for the new full size wheel, and it fitted in the wheel well without protuding upwards into the boot space, there was no loss of boot space,

I have read all 6 pages on this thread, and cannot find the answer. has anyone successfully fitted a full size spare to a Corolla Touring Sports 1.8 the same as my Avensis.

6 hours ago, Micken said:

I fitted a Full size spare wheel to my T27 Avensis 2010 2.0 D4D Tourer,  Has anyone done the same with the Corolla Touring Sports, It looks like the 1.8 model wheel well may have room for a full size spare.

I have fitted a 225/50/16 to a steel winter rim as my spare. Rim, jack, retaining nut and brace all purchased from Toyota Online Parts. It fits fine under the 1.8 TS floor in it's raised (level with the rear lip) position - which is where I normally have the floor anyway. This size tyre has almost the same rolling diameter as the 225/45/17 and therefore causes no transmission problems - and also no range or speed issues (as long as you realise you have different tyre compounds on the same axle..). I adapted the polystyerene spare wheel inner from my old Avensis to fit the new jack etc. Very pleased I did this mod as within a few months I hit a very large pothole that tore the sidewall - rendering the factory fitted TRK useless. 

Edited by Chris Nutt
replace hyperlink
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chris Nutt said:

I have fitted a 225/50/16 to a steel winter rim as my spare. Rim, jack, retaining nut and brace all purchased from  . It fits fine under the 1.8 TS floor in it's raised (level with the rear lip) position - which is where I normally have the floor anyway. This size tyre has almost the same rolling diameter as the 225/45/17 and therefore causes no transmission problems - and also no range or speed issues (as long as you realise you have different tyre compounds on the same axle..). I adapted the polystyerene spare wheel inner from my old Avensis to fit the new jack etc. Very pleased I did this mod as within a few months I hit a very large pothole that tore the sidewall - rendering the factory fitted TRK useless. 

Did the 225/45/17 original wheel fit ok in the wheel well.

1 hour ago, Micken said:

Did the 225/45/17 original wheel fit ok in the wheel well.

Yes, no problem. 

1 hour ago, Chris Nutt said:

Yes, no problem. 

Thats good news, for when I change my Avensis, it is getting harder to find any size car which has room for a full size spare, the space saver is just not practical when a wheel change is needed with a smaller wheel well.

Yes, in the bottom of the well you will see a slightly raised "dimple". Cut a small hole on this and you will find the retaining thread in the boot floor.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, Korgrocker said:

I've just taken delivery of a 2019 Corolla Design 1.8 Hybrid TRK. TRK indeed! The dealer suggested that if I couldn't use the useless tyre repair kit, I instead use the breakdown cover if I have a puncture but in rural Scotland that could be a very long wait for a repair. I was quoted silly money from the dealer for a space saver steel wheel so I found the wheel geometry somewhere and it's the same as an Auris Space saver. So I purchased the Auris one and it fits both the wheel studs and under the boot floor. I placed the order on Friday at 4pm and delivered via DHL the following Tuesday.

Purchased from The Wheel Shop. https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/toyota-auris-space-saver-spare-wheel-17-and-tool-kit.html

Don't forget you'll need the retaining bolt.

IMG_1410.jpeg

Looking at 1.8 TS Design. Have you test drove the Auris 17" space saver spare wheel and it is 100% safe? Seems like good savings compared to shelling out at the dealers.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, soonhouse19 said:

Looking at 1.8 TS Design. Have you test drove the Auris 17" space saver spare wheel and it is 100% safe? Seems like good savings compared to shelling out at the dealers.

Hi I have 1.8 TS  and fitted a 17in Auris space saver, it will fit fine, as I had a tyre blow out and had to drive on the space saver to a tyre shop.( I had test fitted it when I purchased it.) 

Without one, I hate to think how long we would have been waiting for the AA. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the TS Corolla 16" wheel with no spare wheel would the Auris 16" spare wheel do the job perfectly?

Like https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/toyota-auris-20007-present-day-space-saver-spare-wheel-16-tool-kit/

Edit: Just noticed there is section for +2019 Corolla https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/16-space-saver-spare-wheel-tool-kit-compatible-with-toyota-corolla-2019-present-day-copy/