Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 avensis engine hesitation

highbeam

I know there might be a discussion about this done before and I have 2009 1.8 fuel engine where ecu has been updated but still the issue remains the same. Under 3500rpm there is hesitation. At Toyota service they say that it is caused by engine not measuring the amount of ethanol in Finnish fuel. To cut to the chase what is the sensor measuring that from fuel? I get best performance if i unplug the Battery and ecu loses the learned timing. It works well for few days after that.

I have the same car and as far as I know, there is no sensor that checks the ethanol in the fuel. There is the sensors that inform the ECU of the air going to the cylinders (MAF), knock sensor and lambda sensors measuring what coming out of the exhaust ports. UK fuel E5 but is changing to E10 next year.

Have a look at the following - https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/19-09-30_faq_zr-engine_eng.htm

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 8:45 PM, highbeam said:

I know there might be a discussion about this done before and I have 2009 1.8 fuel engine where ecu has been updated but still the issue remains the same. Under 3500rpm there is hesitation. At Toyota service they say that it is caused by engine not measuring the amount of ethanol in Finnish fuel. To cut to the chase what is the sensor measuring that from fuel? I get best performance if i unplug the battery and ecu loses the learned timing. It works well for few days after that.

Hi, we did spoke before 1,5 year ago in another topic. You did the ecu update to a facelift model right?

But you still have the same problems again; power loss in low revs & gears and especially after cruise control? 

I did not do the ecu update after all. I noticed much better performance when using 98 fuel (but unfortunately more expensive).

I do notice that when I use 95 E10 now the problems are worse than before.

Maybe I need to try the ecu (battery) reset. 

Did you manage to solve the problems aready?

We are about to switch to E10 later this year in the UK, so I cannot say how my car will be affected yet. The fuel grade in the UK is E5 95 RON. There are super grade of 97/98 octane, and I think 99. Also it is said that E10 fuel is less efficient!
At least the engine is compatible unlike the AZ direct injection engines, and similar engines from Ford, Mitsubishi/Volvo and VAG, which are totally incompatible! 

When we start using E10, I will report back.    

The E10 (10% Ethanol I think) is said to be less efficient.  However Honest John swears by the Shell premium petrol which I think is the E10 at around 20p/litre more expensive.  In terms of pence per mile it is certainly less efficient on my wallet.  AS HJ swears by it we have lots of people agreeing and saying how much their consumption has improved.  

Is it the Shell fuel (E5 or E10) that is better compared with a supermarket basic fuel or is it a placebo effect?  We are told it's better so I must be getting better consumption?

Hi Niko! Are You using 98 or 95 petrol? I live in Finland too, and with 98 i have no problems at all (i havent try 95 in my car).

Both unleaded 995 RON) and super unleaded petrol (97/98 RON) are E5 currently in the UK.

Unleaded is due to switch over to E10 from September 2021, and super unleaded will remain E5 until further notice. This way vehicles that cannot use E10, will still be able to run using super unleaded.

• Thanks 1

Here in Finland we have at 95E10, 98E5 and in Shell 99E5 (V-Power) at gas stations.. So 98 and 99 have little less amount of ethanol than 95. I use 98 and havent got any issues in my 1.8i T27.

I am sure I have seen Shell pumps labelled E5 and E10 and that E10 is available already.  I refuelled today at a Coop, they had only 2 pumps, diesel and E5.  It will be interesting how they do the change over.

E10 is already legal for use in the UK, and some companies may already offer it. Not all fuel outlets will be able to offer E10 unleaded and E5 super unleaded.

In the Netherlands 95 E10 with ethanol is mandatory. Most 98 premium fuels, like v-power at Shell, doesn’t have ethanol added (yet).