Do Not Sell My Personal Information

test drive 2020 Yaris Hybrid

scar

Today Friday 14th August I had a test drive of the new Yaris Hybrid. It was the design spec and it had 100 miles on the clock. We had the previous shape Yaris 1.33 petrol manual excel trim for 12 months. In most respects I would call the outgoing model average but say the petrol engine was a under performer.

The new model is much improved. Nicer dash layout, I liked the digital speedo, easy to read, Ride was good and road holding felt better. The icon and design run on 16" wheels, the higher models get 17". With regard to cabin space i thought the rear space was actually a bit less. I'm 6ft and with the drivers seat set my knees were pushing into the the back of the drivers seat when i sat in the rear. The boot space seemed larger but my comments on space may mean nothing as its awhile since we owned the previous version.

I had a solo test drive covered 15 miles and averaged 85mpg indicated. All town driving with an outside temp of 17c. The car was at operating temp when i started my drive. That bodes well for good mpg in the real world. The performance of the Hybrid unit was better than I expected. Quick off the mark from stand still and plenty power for overtakes on dual carriageways.

I am considering changing my wife's car and this looks promising. I was impressed with the new Yaris and would recommend a test drive to see how Toyota have improved it from the previous model,

My car is a 2020 Rav4 excel and I would be happy to have the Yaris as my only car if I didn't need the carrying space. It was that good.

• Like 2

Did you notice if the Design spec includes climate control or standard air con ?
Yesterday I read a very brief test of a LH drive Dynamic spec version in Auto Express, which inferred you need the higher spec to get it.

Initial research on the configurator etc. makes me question pricing.

The Yaris appears to be significantly more expensive, grade for grade, versus the new Honda Jazz hybrid.

Quick calc appeared to indicate that to match the Jazz SR spec would need a Yaris Dynamic spec car and the difference in price is about £2000.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

Sorry cannot remember about the air con. I do remember it was on and I turned it off. 

The official term is auto air conditioning on the design, excel has dual zone air con. Thats from the Toyota info I have.

Regarding the Honda jazz ( latest model ) that would be my preferred vehicle to buy. But my wife simply doesn't like it. I even liked the old jazz apart from the engine. I would think the jazz hybrid is a good choice. 

I bought a new RAV4 about 6 weeks ago, I wanted light leather trim and a sunroof. The Honda CR-V meant I had go for the EX trim. I bought the RAV with sunroof, light leather and 2WD. It was about £4500 cheaper. Both great cars to drive and would have been happy to have either on my drive but £4500 is a big gap. The CR-V had a few extras I would have liked but could do without.

Yes the Jazz would be a good choice. The sunroof is not an option at any trim level so that would rule it out for me.

If you spec both models and the Honda is the cheaper I wold go that route. I was really happy with my previous car a CR-V, dealership were genuinely better than the Toyota one I use now.

Good luck with you selection.

Thanks for replying.

Selection, when it comes, will not be for some time yet, by then there ought to be more information about how both drive in comparison.  Also maybe some 2nd hand examples to reduce prices.

i was, some years ago, a Jazz driver, only moving when they dropped the i-shift for a cvt.

I also got the impression that Honda dealers had a somewhat inflated opinion about their ‘brand’.

dual zone I can live without, auto will be perfectly okay.

6 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Did you notice if the Design spec includes climate control or standard air con ?
Yesterday I read a very brief test of a LH drive Dynamic spec version in Auto Express, which inferred you need the higher spec to get it.

Initial research on the configurator etc. makes me question pricing.

The Yaris appears to be significantly more expensive, grade for grade, versus the new Honda Jazz hybrid.

Quick calc appeared to indicate that to match the Jazz SR spec would need a Yaris Dynamic spec car and the difference in price is about £2000.

Uk Spec Yaris Icon & Design have Climate control, Dynamic, Excel & Launch Edition have Dual Zone Climate Control 

My wife has gone for a new Yaris. She had the previous shape model with the 1.33 engine in excel trim. She found it so underpowered and disliked it because of that. I think the gearing went too much for economy. Well thats changed on this new model,. The hybrid engine has plenty go and is super smooth. 

So we have ordered a Yaris, excel spec, solid white with Pan roof. Given a delivery date around 15th Sept.

My daughter still has her Aygo and we both love driving it. My wife said her ideal second car would be an Aygo hybrid, thats not going to happen according to Toyota. So Yaris it is. 

Dual control is missing on design but still auto 

Also has no hand brake but it’s auto