Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid - When do you use Neutral

gavioliuk

I frequently read on American sites where posters have had problems running down their traction Battery because they have been in neutral for a period.  Only explanation I have read is that they were in a car wash.  This is explained in the online manual so I was aware of it.

But when is it appropriate you use neutral? 

The only time I put the car in neutral is when entering a car park with barriers and you have to reach out for a ticket.  My reason is that if my foot slips off the brake there is a danger of hitting the barrier if I am in drive.  It is easier to put in neutral than park.  It is usually only for about 30 seconds so is not a problem.

Your about right. Neutral has very little use except in a workshop situation where the traction Battery is disconnected from the motor/generators while the engine is ( potentially) still running or the wheels need to be turned by hand. Personally I prefer park in circumstances where my attention might be diverted. I do use the hold capability and the parking brake while still in drive but I am always slightly worried that an inadvertent touch of the accelerator pedal could be dangerous. As a left foot braker I will generally have the brake pedal covered even if not applied.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:49 AM, gavioliuk said:

The only time I put the car in neutral is when entering a car park with barriers and you have to reach out for a ticket.  My reason is that if my foot slips off the brake there is a danger of hitting the barrier if I am in drive.  It is easier to put in neutral than park.  It is usually only for about 30 seconds so is not a problem.

Assuming you have the latest Gen rav4 just use the "Hold" function, it holds the car when you come to a stop allowing you to remove your feet from the pedals and only releases after you press the throttle to pull away no need to move the gear shifter at all then.

• Like 2

I have the 4th generation which does not have hold.  Thank you.  I now understand where hold come in with the 5th generation.

Neutral as far as I know was meant for when the vehicle is being moved by pushing or being winched on to a recovery vehicle. Park is what should be used if your standing still for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never put my Corolla into neutral. It's been a while since I put any automatic into neutral.

I admittedly have to use neutral when entering a local pull along automated car wash as otherwise there would be damage caused. Given this only takes about 5 mins even on the most expensive wash I have never yet had an issue in either my RAV or Prius.

Out of interest on the 'Hold' button, can it be made to hold every time you start the without the need to press it every single start! 

8 hours ago, 182_blue said:

Out of interest on the 'Hold' button, can it be made to hold every time you start the without the need to press it every single start! 

'Fraid not.  It seems to be so that it doesn't get enabled until the driver door is shut and driver seat-belt on.

I really can't see why they couldn't have done it so that once enabled, it reactivates when the door is shut and belt is on, and deactivates if the door is opened or the belt unbuckled (the last bit does happen now).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links