Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid battery - low charge?

Hugo Nebula

I've a question about my new Corolla 2.0 GR Sport. It's my first time with a hybrid, so I don't know if I have a problem or not.

The hybrid’s Battery never seems to get above 50% (four bars) on the display meter. Even after a 60 mile motorway drive with the engine running, it still didn’t rise above this.

It does seem to charge when coasting and braking, and the hybrid kicks in and out as I would expect it to. It's early days yet; The car's only done 500 miles, the app is saying my average EV time is 58%, and I'm getting about 52 mpg (which I think is good without hypermiling).

Should my battery's charge be higher to allow me to use EV mode in town? And if so, how do I charge it, except by a long drive?

Doesn't sound right. My 1.8 keeps the Battery between 2 bars remaining and 2 bars of full.

51 minutes ago, Hugo Nebula said:

I've a question about my new Corolla 2.0 GR Sport. It's my first time with a hybrid, so I don't know if I have a problem or not.

The hybrid’s battery never seems to get above 50% (four bars) on the display meter. Even after a 60 mile motorway drive with the engine running, it still didn’t rise above this.

It does seem to charge when coasting and braking, and the hybrid kicks in and out as I would expect it to. It's early days yet; The car's only done 500 miles, the app is saying my average EV time is 58%, and I'm getting about 52 mpg (which I think is good without hypermiling).

Should my battery's charge be higher to allow me to use EV mode in town? And if so, how do I charge it, except by a long drive?

What driving mode are you in? Eco seems to keep the batteries top up more, Normal and Sport less so.

43 minutes ago, chicken_george said:

What driving mode are you in? Eco seems to keep the batteries top up more, Normal and Sport less so.

About 50/50 between Eco & Normal. I'm still feeling out which is best for me.

1 hour ago, Hugo Nebula said:

About 50/50 between Eco & Normal. I'm still feeling out which is best for me.

Use Eco in very slow traffic or around town 30 mph areas only. Normal mode ONLY, for the open road, or your mpg will plummet. Personally, the charge level hovers around 50% mark, often below.  We have a down hill stretch of duel carriageway near me, and I can accelerate up to 70, then coast to the lights at the bottom and get it to 2 bars below full. The only time I can get it to full is when I am travelling down hill for an extended period, usually in Devon, but very rarely around where I live. If you are getting 52 mpg, I would say the system is working OK, but it is difficult as best mpg depends on your local road conditions, types of journey and traffic conditions, your driving style, night time or not, outside temperature etc.

Definitely use Normal mode, unless you are in slow traffic and in town.

With self charge Hybrid, it is not about having a full charge, to have this too often may shorten the Hybrid batteries life, so the system manages itself to your demands and to look after the Battery for you.

• Like 1

Hi Hugo, I’ve got the same car and it’s done about 800 miles, I do about 60 miles a day 3/4 motorway 1/4 B roads and my Battery is doing what your Battery is doing so I think it’s normal mate. I only drive in normal mode and my Battery never goes below 3 bars and never above 5.

• Like 1

It's becourse of the motorway, that the Battery doesn't change very much. The higher speed on the motorway uses more of the petrol engine avaliable performance. Fuel consumption is higher due to the higher speed. If the car should charge the Battery AND drive with high speed, the charging it self will drain even more fuel.

A full Battery at motorway speed will drain pretty quick, but takes pretty long to recharge, and with higher fuel consumption in that period of time, it's not worth it. 

Driving on normal roads with 55 mph only requires a minimum of engine power, so it's easy to find a little extra power to charge the battery, without suffering from low mpg's in the process. 

Always used eco mode and get 67.8 mpg but mine is 1.8 

• Like 2

Thanks for your advice.

I have been on a drive into the Peak District and, on the long downhill stretch between Buxton & Macclesfield, it got to 100% charge.

So, it looks like it's OK. 

• Like 1

I raised a similar question a few weeks ago - you may find some additional information there.

It sounds exactly the same as my Battery. I did wonder as I have had no experience of hybrid before. So puts my mind at rest as well.