Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can the Milage be fiddled with like they used to?

roks

Hi All,

I was looking at some Auris 1.6 Excel 13 plate with really low milage.

I remember in the past you had to watch out for these mileage fiddlers, where they wind back the mileage.

Does this still happen?

Regards

roks

Yes. Digital odometers can be changed using some OBD scanners, etc.

MOT history websites an give an indication that mileage has been altered eg. https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

• Like 1

I guess they can do it just before the mot and that would look genuine.

• Like 1

Yes, but the MOT history websites provide details of a vehicle's previous MOT's including mileage recorded at each MOT, and MOT failures and advisories. So by looking back at previous tests, one may be able to see discrepancies.

• Like 1

Thanks Frostyballs, its actually a 14 reg Excel with 2 owners and claiming to be 15,500miles....I am just suspicious.🧐

I believe that some people who have lease cars, have the "mileage adjusted" just before they go off lease 😉

Also, you can't really rely on the M.O.T. history as anybody who is putting say 50,000/yr on a vehicle surely wouldn't grudge the price of having the mileage adjusted just before it's due.

There's a lot of dodgy characters about you know.

• Like 1

Agreed the MOT history isn't infallible, which is why I said it can provide an indication of discrepancies.

12 minutes ago, roks said:

Thanks Frostyballs, its actually a 14 reg Excel with 2 owners and claiming to be 15,500miles....I am just suspicious.🧐

Back in March we part exchanged a 2015 Hyundai i20 (full main dealer service history) with similar mileage for a new one. So although it is wise to be suspicious, some cars are genuine.

42 minutes ago, roks said:

Service history, plus the last 3 MOTs should help verify the mileage.

It's plausible - I was putting 2500 miles a year on my last car as I don't commute to work in it.

Is it still the case with newer cars, the clutch replacement at around 100,000 miles +/- a few?

Or if I change to auto, other than being slower and less mpg, do they have clutch problems or something equivelant?

Thanks.

If you go Hybrid, there's no clutch at all. 😉

• Like 1

With the cats being stolen like hot cakes, I am put off....and now wont know if they have aftermarket cat fitted due to original being stolen.

Me being nosy found the car that matches what you describe - white hatchback with full main dealer history. Have a look at the tyres to see if they are all the same and the date stamp on them. If original and show something like 35/14, they would show some wear, but more likely the rubber will age.

Being the standard Valvematic engine, it's hopeful that not being a hybrid would deter the 'cat' thieves. One poster on the forum has de-badge his car, in the hope to make his car less of a target. Toyota Avensis also use the same Valvematic engine, and I have never heard of one being a target to date! Trouble is some thieves may not be bother check the model of car, unles they do look for the badges.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roks said:

you had to watch out for these mileage fiddlers, where they wind back the mileage

If you were lucky enough to have the Toyota Techstream package, then a separate mileage total exists in the engine ECU (in Kilometres, actually) and can be viewed using that diagnostic tool.  In other makes of cars, and probably Toyota, I understand that this value can not be altered.

22 minutes ago, roks said:

and now wont know if they have aftermarket cat fitted due to original being stolen

The genuine Toyota exhausts are quite distinctive on the Auris hybrid.  Once you've seen a genuine one (even with the car sat on its wheels), an aftermarket one wouldn't be too hard to spot.  But your other point still stands.

Mileage adjustment on cars under three years old can be a problem, due to PCP and lease finance with mileage limits. I find a careful check of the tyre condition and age is a good indicator of mileage and driving style on low mileage cars. If a car is on its original tyres and wear is excessive beware!

• Like 1

Wasn't too hard to find the car. First MOT at just under 12k in August 2017, 14k a year later in August 2018. Then apparently off the road a year, probably more given the mileage. Freshly MOT'd a month ago at 15500.

Suspect there's a story behind that. Unlikely it's been clocked.

The seller is not too far from me - about 11 miles. If I was going to see a close friend nearby by, I could be extra nosy and have a look, but no current plans. 
The clutch on a car with that mileage should be fine, unless the previous owners abused the clutch by riding the pedal, using the clutch to hold the car on incline or using a lot of revs at slow manoeuvres. The clutch should be good for at least 80,000 miles! 

Some models are arguably more likely to be clocked than others too. Someone looking to cover huge mileages in an Auris would probably have gone for either an 1.8 hybrid or a diesel, rather than a conventional 1.6 petrol. It seems quite common to see petrol Auris's with low mileage as I think many were bought either by retired people or as a second car.

Just now, yossarian247 said:

It seems quite common to see petrol Auris's with low mileage as I think many were bought either by retired people or as a second car.

I suspect the former in this case. Hence it sitting around for a while un-MOT'd. Probably worth checking it for giffer dints! 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

I suspect the former in this case. Hence it sitting around for a while un-MOT'd. Probably worth checking it for giffer dints! 🤣

Yes I bought my previous 2009 Auris at 5 years old with 30k on the clock, one previous elderly owner. It looked immaculate in the rain when polished and waxed. However when I'd owned it for a while and took a closer look it appeared the original owner had parked by touch and polished it religiously with a Brillo pad!

Mine came from a parent of advancing age. Despite parking sensors and a rear camera it's got a couple stuffs on the corners and a mystery dint in the bootlid! Replaced a smashed indicator in the passenger mirror that lost an argument with the garage. I'll get it fixed up at some point I suspect. Luckily no brillo pad paint!

• Like 1

Good posts here everyone, all true. The mileage really can’t be 100% tracked as sometimes there are cars well looked after and with high miles, if owner was interested to clock it and did so may be impossible to find out. Even dealers sometimes struggle to tell. All necessary checks as mentioned and just how you feel the car when inspecting. If auto needed best is the hybrid one. 

Thanks all, lots of info.

So if i find a car with high milage say over 100k, is it likely that a new cluth has been fitted?

3 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The clutch on a car with that mileage should be fine

Konrad, my bad I meant on a high mileage cars, say above 60k.

My current corolla, I changed the clutch at 90k, though after removing it there was still a bit left, could have easily done another 10k or more.

I dont think I have the nack for another clutch change, these engine bays look cramped compared to my corolla and I am a lot older now 🙂

As for the Hybrid, what to lookout for on the high milages ones, more recent ones are out of my budget.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stivino said:

I believe that some people who have lease cars, have the "mileage adjusted" just before they go off lease 😉

Also, you can't really rely on the M.O.T. history as anybody who is putting say 50,000/yr on a vehicle surely wouldn't grudge the price of having the mileage adjusted just before it's due.

There's a lot of dodgy characters about you know.

I don't think I'd care tbh, 50,000 miles/year is ideal operating conditions for a car. The engine will be in great shape if it's been doing that.

2 hours ago, roks said:

As for the Hybrid, what to lookout for on the high milages ones, more recent ones are out of my budget.

If its a Toyota and had annual service at a Toyota dealer it should have had the free Battery health check every service (£45 if you dont have the service at Toyota dealer). Having Battery health check annually gives an extra 12 months Battery warranty.       The hybrid engineering seems to be very sound.

AS for rest of the car, just normal things any car would have problems with, but especially look at rear brake discs as rear brakes get little use and can rust badly.

Dont foget, a Toyota hybrid does not have a starter motor, clutch, nor alternator.

3 hours ago, m4rkw said:

I don't think I'd care tbh, 50,000 miles/year is ideal operating conditions for a car. The engine will be in great shape if it's been doing that.

It is certainly what is often said and tbh I would have always agreed with that... but there is always the exception to the rule. My fathers old 2003 Corolla has only done around 37k from new, it stands outside on the drive in all weathers and yet the engines smoothness and seamless power delivery is better than my Auris. Front discs and pads were replaced in 2013 and the rears replaced around 2016/7. Battery lasted until 2013 and was still OK power wise but there was suspicion of leakage. Exhaust is original. Some years it only did 500 miles in the year. It would sometimes stand for two weeks in the depth of winter before doing a 1.5 mile shopping run followed by another similar period of 'rest'. No issues with Battery going flat (owners of modern Toyotas take note). This last year has seen me put a few thousand miles on it. It pulls like a train and is quieter on the motorway (it is a saloon though) than the Auris despite it only having a 5 speed box. It has failed one MOT on a bulb that I hadn't spotted was out.     

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links