Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can the Milage be fiddled with like they used to?

roks

I've not seen the ad at all, but it doesn't sound like the best example that, based on the mileage (low) and not worth paying a dealer premium on it on that basis.

I use my car daily and quite a bit and only do about 3k a year which is still about 60 miles per week mostly urban driving, I don't know how they come up with the average mileage of 12k per year, my usage which I deem to be quite significant and not low or non-usage would take 30 odd years to get to 100k.

But I'm sure your cars mileage is genuine based on its fdsh tho they could be created.

But also coupled with the apparent period of non usage wouldn't necessarily do the car any good too either potentially and could be worse than more miles.

Not too put you off just my thoughts

Analysis done by the RAC Foundation showed that in 2018 the UK average annual mileage for cars up to 3 years old was estimated to be 10,377, and the annual mileage for all cars was estimated to be 7,600. 

Yeah thanks interesting info that frostyb so by inference then average annual mileage of a personal/household non company fleet car is a fair bit less than 7600 which does sound a more likely comparable usage figure.

The reduction in average annual mileage seems to be attributed partly to higher fuel costs and there being a substantial increase in families having two or more cars since 2002.

When I bought mine I went to Evans Halshaw in Wolverhampton to see one 3 years old with supposedly15,000 miles on the clock. Drivers door sill had the paint worn off, all the tyres were mismatched and it looked like it had done 75,000 not 15,000.

I would think Auris Tourers are particularly prone to this sort of scam with the numbers of them being used for private hire vehicles

On 8/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, gezhenry said:

But I'm sure your cars mileage is genuine based on its fdsh tho they could be created.

Not that easy, you might be able to fiddle a service book and re-create some history, but with dealer service history online at My T it is easy to view at a glance. A car only having history in a book and nothing online would be a concern 

Like anything digital, there are probably people out there that can fiddle the mileage on the clock, however, the penalties for doing that are severe, any main dealer goes to great lengths to ensure the mileage is correct with HPI/History checks, so very unlikely a car with fiddled mileage would be sold from a main dealer these days 

OK, suppose I do 10k per year, just before the service/MOT I get a dodgy fella to wind back 5k, then every year I do the same before the MOT.

How will the dealer know let alone joe public? Is there a safety mechanism in place where the dealer can suss out?

13 hours ago, roks said:

OK, suppose I do 10k per year, just before the service/MOT I get a dodgy fella to wind back 5k, then every year I do the same before the MOT.

How will the dealer know let alone joe public? Is there a safety mechanism in place where the dealer can suss out?

I wouldn't think so other than them sussing wear and tear doesn't match the mileage.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:22 AM, Gerg said:

If you were lucky enough to have the Toyota Techstream package, then a separate mileage total exists in the engine ECU (in Kilometres, actually) and can be viewed using that diagnostic tool.  In other makes of cars, and probably Toyota, I understand that this value can not be altered.

I looked into my assertion a bit further.  It would appear that there is no commercially available software package to change this distance record in the Toyota engine ECU.  That doesn't mean it can't be hacked somehow, but generally, this is a value that can't be changed, or doesn't get changed, because nobody is looking at it.

But I wouldn't think that this is designed as a "safety mechanism".

Having said that, I haven't used Techstream for ages, so I should check that this value is available to see when using Techstream!

I had a quick look with Techstream, and yes I can confirm there is a mileage in km and its greyed out.

So wear and tear is your best friend...

Thanks guys all your input