Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 corrolla start up issues

Agray88

Hi, been having issues at random when  starting in the morning, Usually it will unlock but the clock will be wrong and i get an error message saying parking assist is not available, both sort themselves out once I'm driving.

However this morning the car wouldn't unlock and when I used the key, the alarm went off. Anyone know what could be going on?

When did you last drive it? The 12 volt Battery is very small. Don't use the radio without the car started. Ie it will start the engine when needed.

I would phone Toyota assist when it happens again. get them to sort it out under warranty. 

19 minutes ago, Auris James said:

When did you last drive it? The 12 volt battery is very small. Don't use the radio without the car started. Ie it will start the engine when needed.

I would phone Toyota assist when it happens again. get them to sort it out under warranty. 

I drive it mostly every day, thanks,that was my plan but was just checking if there was a quick fix 

You say you drive it mostly every day. So how far is this?  Have you had the car long?

You could try the Toyota recommended process one day when you have time, ie put the car in "Ready" for an hour and let the car start and stop as it wants to to ensure the batteries are charged. Then see if you have problems the following mornings. If  that fixes it for a while, it may indicate you have not travelled far enough / used the car enough to recharge the 12 v Battery

If it doesn't fix it, check with your dealer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigblock said:

You say you drive it mostly every day. So how far is this?  Have you had the car long?

About 30-45 minutes a day as I live near Gatwick airport so the roads are quiet atm, has the car for 6 months now.

• Like 1

I have had the parking assist not available warning on mine, it is going in today for investigation, I will report back 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Agray88 said:

About 30-45 minutes a day as I live near Gatwick airport so the roads are quiet atm, has the car for 6 months now.

If this is the total for there and back meaning around 20 mins each way then it may be having an effect on the 12v Battery not quite getting enough charge over a period of time possibly. Have a word with your dealer if this is what you have been doing. The car probably needs a good 1 hour of constant driving or parked up in 'Ready mode' for an hour. I am no expert but experience has taut me alot about these hybrids over the years.

Also see Toyota's guidance on Battery maintenance published during lockdown:

Half an hour a day use should be ok for the 12v Battery unless it’s already in discharged condition and requires charging extra time, keep the car in ready mode for over an hour and see how it’s going, and best to get measurements of the Battery and charging voltage going to the Battery

Well it's a mystery. No codes stored, fault has gone away, strange as it as there for several days. Will report back if it comes on again. 

22 hours ago, Agray88 said:

that was my plan but was just checking if there was a quick fix 

Whilst you wait for other suggestions, it might be worth checking that the 12v Battery has a good, secure, connection to its terminal posts.  On such a new car I can't see why these would have been interfered with, on its journey from the factory to buyer.  But as it's so easy to do....

Good practice for this would be to remove first the negative terminal connection.  Then remove, replace and tighten the positive.  Then reconnect the negative.  That way if your spanner touches some metalwork whilst dealing with the positive terminal there will not be a short.  No need to do these nuts very tight, though!

Your radio will lose all its stations, and your trip meters and fuel economy readings will probably be erased.

Or get the dealer to check this - they probably already have!

The alarm going off when you open the car with the 'mechanical' key lock is normal, isn't it?

13 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Well it's a mystery. No codes stored, fault has gone away, strange as it as there for several days. Will report back if it comes on again. 

Did it happen in the rain? One of mine always goes funny in heavy rain or spray conditions. Needs a clean so spray with a power wash or even a spray water bottle and you should be ok. 

Funny you should say that, yes, the first time it happened, the NSF proximity sensor went off at a roundabout with nothing around me, then the "Parking assist not available" whilst travelling forwards about 30 MPH. The proximity warning changes from NSF to OSF at times, but has not done it for a few days. The last time the parking assist was not available was a red hot day, and not in the slightest bit wet. I shall continue to monitor and report back if it happens again 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, Parts-King said:

Funny you should say that, yes, the first time it happened, the NSF proximity sensor went off at a roundabout with nothing around me, then the "Parking assist not available" whilst travelling forwards about 30 MPH. The proximity warning changes from NSF to OSF at times, but has not done it for a few days. The last time the parking assist was not available was a red hot day, and not in the slightest bit wet. I shall continue to monitor and report back if it happens again 

Mine is always the NSF sensor me t to the reg plate. If you spray it the warning goes away .. strange, but I’ve not had a car with these sensors on before so might be normal! 

41 minutes ago, shufman said:

Mine is always the NSF sensor me t to the reg plate. If you spray it the warning goes away

Obviously, your car is under warranty, so this can be investigated by the dealer (and you work in a car-related role, no? so you have an 'insider's view').  But, over the years, I have had fairly good success on aftermarket sensors that have suffered similar 'false alarms' by a quick spray of WD40 onto the sensor face, particularly on to the recessed rubber/foam ring that surrounds the central section.

I would hate to invalidate your warranty, and I am not WD40's biggest fan, but this has worked for me in the past.

I have sawn a couple of these sensors up (one OEM, one aftermarket), just to see what's inside.  The electronics module is safely potted in silicone rubber, for what it's worth.

My suggestion doesn't tie in with your spraying water on the sensor face fixing the problem, but I thought I'd chuck this in anyway.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How long have people left their Corolla Hybrid unused and the car still starts afterwards (2/3/4 weeks?). I'm going away for 3 weeks at Xmas and worried my 12V will die?

7 hours ago, HybridLover said:

How long have people left their Corolla Hybrid unused and the car still starts afterwards (2/3/4 weeks?). I'm going away for 3 weeks at Xmas and worried my 12V will die?

I would definetly be worried if i went away for that long, solutions such as a small solar panels you stick on the windshield doesn't seem to do anything. If you have neighbours that you trust and are friends with you can give them the keys to have the car in ready mode for 30 minutes once or twice a week, at least that's what i would do.  

Toyota seem to think it is ok to leave for a "few weeks" at a time

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-toyota-hybrid-car-maintenance

Hi Reduan,

Thanks for getting in touch. We’re sorry to hear you’re unhappy with your car.

The 12 volt Battery in our hybrids are smaller than most as they are only needed to run small systems in the car. One of these systems, is turning on the relays/switches that allow the hybrid system to turn on. Once the hybrid system is on (as indicated by the READY light), the 12 volt Battery will be charged by the high voltage hybrid Battery, which in turn is powered by the engine.

In some cases, infrequent usage and short journeys can mean that the 12 volt battery doesn’t fully charge – which could be the case in your current situation. If you were to make more frequent, longer journeys this shouldn’t be an issue. Alternatively, following the above advice would help too.

Regarding airports, on your drive to the airport the READY light will have been on and carrying out the necessary charging process on the way, this combined with regular maintenance by following your service schedule should mean your car will be okay to leave for a few weeks at a time. However, if you are concerned about leaving it unattended for a longer period of time you could consider using a solar powered intelligent charger.

If you would like any more specific advice regarding your vehicle we would recommend re-contacting your nearest dealer.

Once again, we’re sorry you’re unhappy about this and if you would like to discuss your situation further, we would recommend contacting our customer relations team here: https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/email-us

We hope this helps.

Thanks.

The article on Toyota UK Blog was released in April during lockdown when a few owners had issues - 

If your 12v is fully charged and there are no problems with it, it must be ok to leave in ideal conditions for 3/4 weeks unused, surely?

It should be OK for a few weeks, however people were leaving their cars on the drive for months on end without even starting it. The 12V on a Hybrid has less cranking power than most batteries, it only has to power up the ECU etc, so it is vital that the charge is maintained and not left to sit for long periods

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links