Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2013 exhaust noise

roks

Been in touch with Mr.T customer service regarding this noise and quoted the tsb? for exhaust pipe noise - EG-0005T-0114 that I found on this forum. This is their reply:

I have checked our vehicle recall tracker and can confirm there are no outstanding recalls on this vehicle.

However, we are unable to comment on what issues you are having may be without a diagnosis at one of our Toyota dealerships. If you have any concerns about your vehicle, we would recommend you take it to your local Toyota dealership for diagnosis.

I then asked them to acknowledge that this article exists and valid, they replied:

Without a confirmed diagnosis from a Toyota technician we can't be sure if this issue is the same as you have seen online, we would recommend you gets booked in at your local Toyota Centre for diagnosis to take place.

I've now asked them will they cover the cost of the diagnosis....waiting for a reply.

In the meantime, I have spoken to my local dealer, the service admin lady says she knew what the problem was, "the cat has been stolen" 🙂.  I then explain a bit more in detail, then she spoke to manager and technician, and the technician confirmed there was issues with the petrol etc.

The diagnostic was £162, then after talking to the lady she though it was too much in case Mr.T doesn't cover, so she suggested I "book in for a free visual check" and they'd listen to the exhaust and confirm if that's the same problem as in the article.

Booked it for 2nd October, should I be aware of anything?

Any tips on dealing with Mr.T customer service people regarding the replacement?

Thanks

As regards diagnostic fees, it is common for dealers, regardless of marque, to charge a diagnostic fee in case the issue isn't covered by the manufacturer or warranty company. If the issue is covered under warranty or similar, and they get their costs reimbursed by the manufacturer or warranty company, no fee is charged to the customer.

This way, if the issue isn't covered under warranty, the dealer gets some recompense for the time spent looking at the vehicle.

As regards your issue, Toyota won't be able to determine whether the fault is covered under a Toyota Service Bulletin until it has been looked at by a dealer and the fault diagnosed.

Thanks Frosty, hopefully they will be able to confirm the issue during the visual check.....as thats what the dealer suggested to avoid the cost.

This guys is beginning to sound like parrot, all I wanted to find out if the dealer confirms it is the same issue as per the TSB, will they cover the cost of the diagnosis and fix the issue.

Without the vehicle being looked at by a Toyota centre we cannot confirm or advise if the issues you are having with your vehicle are in any way related to the tsb you have found.

A Toyota centre would be best placed to advise if there is an issue with the car currently, along with what, if any, work needs doing to repair any potential issue. They will also be best placed to inform you of the cost price of any work or diagnosis.

Am I doing something or that normal behavior from Mr.T customer service?

Thank you for your email.

The centre will be aware of any service bulletins relating to the your vehicle and will be able to advise, if, faults are found, along with if there will be a charge for these.

This guy is just going round in a circle, not answering my question...feeling like replying with some words.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to drop off my car, Jemca Toyota Edgware, to get the free visual safety check and also to confirm the exhaust issue. Well, it was a complete waste of time.

Guy first tried to fob off by saying there's no recalls those tsb are just for information not for replacing parts etc. I told him the issue and that one of his engineers confirmed the issue when I booked it in and to check his system for details. So he went away and came tack after several minutes, now he says oh yes there is a bulletin but its only valid during the warranty period or if you have an extended warranty.

I just asked him to return my keys and walked away, fortunately the lady that arranged all this was not in today, wanted to ask her wtf 🤬 she couldn't inform me that I needed an extended warranty to get that fixed.

• 7 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 11:02 PM, Devon Aygo said:

The exhaust sounds normal for a 1.6 Auris, back in when the 1.6 was newer Toyota acknowledged the exhaust was a bit throaty for some and and only based on a customer complaint offered a quieter option.

I am now seriously considering changing the exhaust box as I am getting more conscious of the noise during theses wet days.

I would like to be sure that changing the back box (a whole long piece to the cat) will cure the noise issue or do I need to change the CAT too?

I found a back box from a 2016 1.2 Petrol, part number 17430-0Y130, punched it into toyodiy.com I get the following

image.thumb.png.c54bf336cc60b8e4cd62b10bc1084553.png

With my vin number, I get 17430-0T220 or 230

image.thumb.png.372068d8224e2a2b096423fb042fc021.png

Called jemca toyota, they gave me 17430-0T221, they wont confirm if 17430-0Y130 will fit my car although it looks identical on the diagram, just said "its  a different part number".

image.thumb.png.891b30b9daedce08ddba34fa51732a25.png

171348667_AurisExhaustCompare0313-0515.thumb.jpg.bb00976ac7229c2a423b964196fe2621.jpg

If anyone can confirm these will fit please.

Thanks

4 hours ago, roks said:

I am now seriously considering changing the exhaust box as I am getting more conscious of the noise during theses wet days.

I would like to be sure that changing the back box (a whole long piece to the cat) will cure the noise issue or do I need to change the CAT too?

I found a back box from a 2016 1.2 Petrol, part number 17430-0Y130, punched it into toyodiy.com I get the following

image.thumb.png.c54bf336cc60b8e4cd62b10bc1084553.png

With my vin number, I get 17430-0T220 or 230

image.thumb.png.372068d8224e2a2b096423fb042fc021.png

Called jemca toyota, they gave me 17430-0T221, they wont confirm if 17430-0Y130 will fit my car although it looks identical on the diagram, just said "its  a different part number".

image.thumb.png.891b30b9daedce08ddba34fa51732a25.png

171348667_AurisExhaustCompare0313-0515.thumb.jpg.bb00976ac7229c2a423b964196fe2621.jpg

If anyone can confirm these will fit please.

Thanks

Hi, if they are same part number then means they are the same parts , if different numbers means they are different parts and very likely the difference to be in the diameter of the pipe, 1.2 to have smaller pipe since it’s smaller displacement engine. I think they will not be interchangeable, better buy specifically for your car. 

So looks like the only option I have is to buy from MrT?

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, if they are same part number then means they are the same parts , if different numbers means they are different parts and very likely the difference to be in the diameter of the pipe, 1.2 to have smaller pipe since it’s smaller displacement engine. I think they will not be interchangeable, better buy specifically for your car. 

Hi Roks. Just caught with this post. Don't worry about the diameter of the exhaust, because the 1.2 being turbo charged, has more torque than the naturally aspirated 1.6 Valvematic, and even the 1.8 version! So there is no restriction. I don't think I mentioned this before, but last year, I thought my exhaust had a blow. I took it to my local friendly garage and put it on the lift. The exhaust was and still is fine. It was because my car was parked on my drive close to the house, and the reverberation at idle, made it sound like it was blowing. Whilst under my car, I had a good look at everything. The car has since passed it's MOT. 
The problem with exhaust for Toyotas, is there are less demand for later model replacement, so less third party choice. Then there is the quality of the replacement, that tend to sound noisier than the original.
The hard bit is getting the correct exhaust and parting with the cash. For me the fun bit is the actual replacing.  

You just posted as I was typing this reply. It's hard to compare with another Auris, since most are hybrids.

6 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

because the 1.2 being turbo charged

I was thinking along the same line 🤔.

So the guy has offered me to go have a look, see if it fits, £99 0r 134 delivered. Its almost new (still got stickers on it, one has 04/2019 and a Toyota one has 11/2019) but the car is a 2016 so it was replaced recently.

14 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

my drive close to the house, and the reverberation at idle

Mine does it all the time, everywhere, it only goes bit quieter after it has a long drive. Passed MOT no issues.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

I provide you a video maybe it well help you.

• Thanks 1

Do I need put in a new donut gasket? The service guide says they are not re-usable but in practice?

21 minutes ago, roks said:

Do I need put in a new donut gasket? The service guide says they are not re-usable but in practice?

Best to stick with manual recommendation, if you can’t for some reason you may want to use some gasket seal for exhaust if there are any leaks. 👍

• Thanks 1

Well, its arrived, £110 delivered, £23 for the donut gasket. Hoping for a dry weekend to find out if the gamble paid off. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the gasket today, looks like it sustained some damage in the post, see attached picture.

Do I need to get replacement or will be ok?

20210527_175419.thumb.jpg.7bf76d19bfc6be1126e35aa246f23045.jpg

Update:

Fitted the exhaust today, omg what a difference, silence is a bliss. 🙂

I was feeling bit lazy so tried to use the old gasket, it looked to be in good condition so tried it but then took it off as there was a bit weeping of water.

I then took off the old gasket, got rid of the debris and cleaned surface with mini wire brush, inserted the new gasket as per the service guide, torqued bolts to 43Nm. Also, measured springs, 39.2mm (service guide says min 38.5mm), but forgot to measure the gap between the flanges but it looks even.

Now there is more weeping of water than the old gasket, video attache.I am hoping this will seal up once its had a chance to heat up properly....

• Like 2

Just realized the video I uploaded seems ok on my mobile but I cant view on the laptop.

2 hours ago, roks said:

Just realized the video I uploaded seems ok on my mobile but I cant view on the laptop.

Video ok on my iPad.

22 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Video ok on my iPad.

thanks for confirming @Catlover ,must be my laptop getting old 🙂

15 hours ago, roks said:

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

Video ok on my iPad.

Sounds a lot better. The video played fine on my laptop - 2012 Samsung with Nvidia graphics and i7 16GB SSD and 1TB, running latest Windows 10, sorry for the tech nerd. 🤓 
Great work and I wouldn't worry too much about the condensation. Keep an eye on it. So long as the bolts are done tight, I think everything is all good. 👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Sounds a lot better.

That was me revving to catch the water drips on the video, you should hear at idle.....well you wont hear much now...just the engine now.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs, suggestions and encouragements, I'm glad I finally done it.  🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hey @roks

I have the same issue with my 2013 Auris. I am based in London would you be able to send me a link to the parts you replaced? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links