Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel consumption

Adrian5

Hi guys. I want to get an advice regarding my Toyota auris 1.6 vvti 132bhp 2013/86k miles.  All that I can get driving in the city  is around 29 mpg (normal driving, not sporty). I live in Milton Keynes  and the traffic it's not bad at all and also there aren't too many traffic lights. Is this normal? What should I do?

I just got 2013 1.6 petrol, it was 32mpg on the dash, since I got it I've driving local and its counting down...31.6 at the moment...I'm still getting used it.

• Like 1

Firstly how are you calculating the consumption? Is it from the car's read out or is it a brim to brim figure calculation?

Note that the Honest John Real MPG page consumption varies for the 1.6 from 30mpg upwards.

• Thanks 1

About normal mate u got a 2008 1.6 with 57k all town driving between 29 and 32 mpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Real

Hi Frostyballs. Yeah, it’s brim figure calculation. Many thanks

I get much the same in my mk1 1.6 (24k) Just make sure you keep your tyres inflated right, never carry unneeded weight and try to avoid using aircon to get the most mpg you can.

• Thanks 1

I have a 1.6 petrol 2013 model. I get around 29mpg in winter and 37mpg in summer. I live in an area where there is not much traffic.

• Like 1

It’s normal, also Milton Keynes is very tricky place to drive, there are many dual carriage ways with speed limits 70mph and many roundabouts at very short distance between. Keeping up with traffic that each and everyone believes that 70mph is minimal speed not max allowed would put you in very unfortunate situation that your car will see worse fuel consumption. Drive more relaxed and keep around 40mph average speed on those roads, try to avoid hard acceleration and braking, or “keeping up”, let the iDiots fly pass  and you will see 5-8mpg plus immediately. Driving these days on uk roads  is more like a race but not travel. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MrZardoz said:

I get much the same in my mk1 1.6 (24k) Just make sure you keep your tyres inflated right, never carry unneeded weight and try to avoid using aircon to get the most mpg you can.

And as for all vehicles (even hybrids), minimise your use of the brakes. Learn to read the road ahead and anticipate what other drivers are doing. Don't rush up to a busy junction then brake to a halt. Roll up with your foot off the accelerator - do it right and most of the time you won't even need to stop. I know MK quite well and with all the roundabouts it's possible to make good progress and hardly ever use your brakes by timing your arrival carefully.

Every time you use your brakes you are wasting fuel. Even a hybrid or EV only reclaims some of the energy. My old driving instructor told me "Brakes are for stopping and correcting your mistakes" and it's advice I've followed for over 30 years.

I'm currently getting well over 60mpg from my Corolla and rarely got less than 50 from my Honda Jazz. Don't think I've ever owned a car that got less than 45 (A number that is convenient when buying in litres and thinking in mpg).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also 1.6, live in area with not much traffic where you are still, i do quite a lot of very short trips, to the store , foot sometimes heavy on the accelerator, and i rev up to 4.5k rpm at times.

Currently 42 mpg. In winter i presume it will be quite worse due to short trips, but i will also be finished with house renovation by then, so i will cut down my short trips substantially.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links