Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android Auto wireless coming - but not for Corolla

Luke717

There's been some previous discussion here about using Android Auto wirelessly, connecting to the car via a wifi connection not via USB cable. It has been possible to do it if you have the right combination of kit - a specific-model Samsung or Google phone, the latest AA software, and your car's head unit supporting a wireless connection - although that doesn't guarantee you can do it.

I have two of the required elements - a late-model Samsung phone (S20 5G) and the latest AA version. But Toyota doesn't support it with the Corolla: I need to connect the phone via a USB cable.

An article yesterday in 9to5Google reports that when Android version 11 appears in a few months, AA will be able to connect to your car wirelessly with any type of phone that runs Android 11, not just Samsung or Google phones https://9to5google.com/2020/08/19/android-11-wireless-auto/

But it still requires your car's manufacturer to support this functionality with the head unit in your car. The article links to an updated Android Auto support page that has the details, and which links to another page that lists every car maker whose cars support wirelessly-connecting AA. Here's what the entry for Toyota says:

Android Auto is compatible with the following vehicles.

• 4Runner 2020-
  • Aygo 2018-
  • Sequoia 2020-
  • Tacoma 2020-
  • Tundra 2020-
  • Yaris (Europe only) 2019-

All US models. Corolla is conspicuous by its absence. I see no info about this model on the Toyota websites, US or UK.

Maybe it will come one day...

• Like 1

Don't hold your breath!

For some reason car manufacturers seem to be hell bent on crippling systems on cars for the UK market.

• Like 1

The part that you have quoted is from when the corolla was first released, i had first read it when it came out. Hopefully they will allow for this feature to be available when android auto comes out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Could this be a good solution for Corolla owners who want to connect Android Auto on their phone wirelessly to the head unit in their Corolla?

AAWireless is a simple Plug & Play device which allows your Android Auto compatible unit to use a WiFi connection instead of connecting the phone with a USB cable.

Mod edit - link removed

Maybe coincidental but in the video, the guy using the product looks like he's in a Toyota (perhaps a CH-R) as the head unit looks just like the one in my Corolla.

I don't expect to see Toyota supporting wireless connectivity in current Corolla models, per the support page I mentioned in a previous post, so this could be a good option. I have no personal connection with this third-party product or its creators, but it looks like a good bet to me.

The website in question is a crowdfunding site, which is basically advertising for funds, and falls foul of the forum rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The website in question is a crowdfunding site, which is basically advertising for funds, and falls foul of the forum rules.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't consider that. You're right, it is a crowdfunding site. Thanks for removing the link from my post. Can we add a link to a report on the product on Sept 5 by XDA Developers? https://www.xda-developers.com/aawireless-dongle-enable-wireless-android-auto-wired-head-units/

Yes, that's fine.

• Like 1

Shouldn't wireless android auto work with the corolla? I'm not sure how it works as i haven't really bothered to search about it but the corolla has a wifi feature? Isn't that what you need from your car for it to be compatible? Only thing you need is a 5g phone with android 11.

8 hours ago, King Crimson said:

Shouldn't wireless android auto work with the corolla? I'm not sure how it works as i haven't really bothered to search about it but the corolla has a wifi feature? Isn't that what you need from your car for it to be compatible? Only thing you need is a 5g phone with android 11.

You'd think so. But as I understand it, for AA on your phone to connect wirelessly to a car's head unit, it requires the car manufacturer to enable specific support for this functionality in the head unit, in addition to supporting AA itself via a wired USB connection. So, for example, 2019 Corollas that don't have AA support wouldn't work at all for that reason.

According to Android support on what models Toyota support:

Android Auto is compatible with the following vehicles.

• 4Runner 2020-
  • Aygo 2018-
  • Sequoia 2020-
  • Tacoma 2020-
  • Tundra 2020-
  • Yaris (Europe only) 2019-

https://www.android.com/auto/compatibility/

This is obviously a US focus judging by most of the model names and the page is undated. But it must be sometime this year given the model years mentioned.

No Corolla! (Indeed, no C-HR either so I wonder what model the guy in the video I mentioned earlier is driving.)

I can find no mention of anything re Android Auto wireless on any Toyota website in the US or the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an issue using the cable to use android auto, my issue is that when I do that, the bluetooth becomes disabled as a source for music, so I can't play music from the phone at the same time. Is there a way round that?

• 5 months later...

I have Corolla Hybrid 2020 and AIMP player for Android as music source and it works flawlessly on AA using USB cable.

Wireless AA, however, is not working with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ (Android 10) and looks like there will be no upgrade to Android 11 for my phone.

I'll try to borrow a phone with Android 11 and check if it works wirelessly.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:15 PM, Mack Softich said:

I have Corolla Hybrid 2020 and AIMP player for Android as music source and it works flawlessly on AA using USB cable.

Wireless AA, however, is not working with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ (Android 10) and looks like there will be no upgrade to Android 11 for my phone.

I'll try to borrow a phone with Android 11 and check if it works wirelessly.

Google actually says AA wireless is supported on any smartphone with Android 11.0 and 5GHz wifi. Details: https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348019#zippy=%2Candroid-auto-on-your-car-display-wireless

However, it requires the car's head unit to support a 5GHz wireless connection in addition to supporting AA. The supported cars list for Toyota on Android.com still doesn't include Corolla https://www.android.com/auto/compatibility/#compatibility-vehicles

Unless the 2021 Corolla has the functionality, it looks like a third-party solution such as I mentioned at the start of this thread is the only current option for wireless AA in a Corolla.

No current Toyota/Lexus supports Wireless Android auto nor Carplay, nor will they, on release of the software allowing early Corolla/Rav4 to get AA/CP they issued a Q & A to dealers in this they stated current MM17 / MM19 head units cannot support wireless AA/CP nor will they be able to receive software updates to do so as the hardware is not capable. A new multimedia setup is in development ( MM21 ) which will support wireless AA/CP and this will be rolled out in to new/facelifted models in time.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello. 

Any news about AA wireless connection in corolla 2020? I have P30 pro and works fine with usb cable but it will be much better with wireless connection. 

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Dejca said:

Any news about AA wireless connection in corolla 2020? I have P30 pro and works fine with usb cable but it will be much better with wireless connection. 

Devon Aygo's post of 24th February within this topic answers your question. 

Some movement on this and whilst as mentioned above existing models will not be able to have wireless AA/CP Toyota have just announced the specs for the new Yaris Cross and Excel & Dynamic ( optional on lower spec ) models now feature a new Smart connect head unit featuring:

• 9" HD screen
  • East 2 step activation
  • Cloud based navigation
  • Over the air updates for software & services
  • Wireless smart phone connectivity incl AA/CP
  • Tested with European clients
  • New intuitive interface
  • further integration with MyT services

So it will not be long before the head unit becomes available in other model in fact the example pictures given are of he head unit in a Corolla.

• Like 1

Great to see wireless support coming for forthcoming models. For current models you can't get this. However, I can speak from experience in saying that if you have a 2020 Corolla as I do, you can connect your phone wirelessly to Android Auto via a third-party device called AA Wireless. This is the product of a start-up that I backed last year on Indiegogo, and that I wrote about in this thread last year. The product started shipping in mid March and I got mine a month ago. I've been using it since then and it works every time.

I don't want to run foul of forum rules so I'm not linking to the product website or the Indiegogo page. I am linking to a review I wrote a few weeks ago and published on my blog - https://www.nevillehobson.com/2021/04/12/review-aawireless-gives-you-wireless-android-auto-in-your-car/.