Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are daytime running lights covered under warranty?

Nigel Thomas

This is my first post🙄

I have a 2017 Toyota Yaris Hybrid and the passenger side daytime running lights are very dim, with the drivers side normal. 

The car is in warranty and I'm wondering if the led lights are covered. 

If not does anyone know the approximate cost of replacement? 

Thanks 

Would expect so. It's a fixed part of the car - not a consumable like a traditional incandescent bulb.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/20/2020 at 5:09 PM, Nigel Thomas said:

This is my first post🙄

I have a 2017 Toyota Yaris Hybrid and the passenger side daytime running lights are very dim, with the drivers side normal. 

The car is in warranty and I'm wondering if the led lights are covered. 

If not does anyone know the approximate cost of replacement? 

Thanks 

Hi Nigel, I have exactly the same problem with my 2017 Toyota Yaris Hybrid. Unfortunately my warranty ran out last month.

Did anyone reply with how much it would cost to replace the unit?

If the car was serviced in Toyota dealer last time you have another year relax warranty and likely these light should be covered. Best to check your books and eventually speak to your dealer. The unit itself won’t be cheap if bought from new, if you gonna pay yourself perhaps a used one from eBay , but you may need to remove bumper to swap them. Good luck 

47 minutes ago, Mags09 said:

I have exactly the same problem with my 2017 Toyota Yaris Hybrid. Unfortunately my warranty ran out last month.

Are you referring to the new car warranty or an extended warranty?

If a UK market car that came with the 5 year/100,000 miles new car warranty, on a 2017 car, the new car warranty would have expired in 2022.

Looking at the terms of the Relax warranty, lighting (e.g. drls) isn't covered.

Some of those are on 12V 21/5W bulbs, either way, won't be covered under warranty 

You could try a local auto electrician if you find the lights aren’t covered by the warranty…

My non hybrid has a single replaceable bulb under the headlight, is this your version?

Toyota High Beams and Headlights: Everything You Need to Know

Does the manufacturer warranty 3 years one cover the lights then? 

Not sure this answers the OP's question but just out of interest...

If the the DRL's are integrated into the headlight unit then on some of the more popular makes, they can be sent away and repaired. On others you have to replace the whole unit which if LED can be eyewateringly expensive  If the DRL is seperate it shouldn't be too much to replace.

Regarding warranty. Typically lights aren't covered but the more observant of you may notice that the majority of DRL failures you see on the road are Hyundai's. Despite Hyundai also having the same 'bulb' clause in their warranty, the actual failure isn't the bulbs, it's the electrics. If it were the bulb then only one LED would fail but it's the whole bank of LEDs that fail i.e. it's the whole unit that's failed. And that is covered under warranty. I'd expect the same rules applies to Toyota - it's treated as an electrical fault, not a bulb failure.

On A 2017 Yaris the 5 year/100k warranty would have covered the unserviceable LED DRL however the Service activated does not cover them as stated in the T&C's:

image.thumb.png.3c94004ef37c7077e3d56c293549c7f7.pngimage.thumb.png.aea88a3ff39487a70d303653dad328d8.png

New LED type headlamps for UK 

RH 81130-0DK20 £287.82 + vat

LH 81170-0DK20 £287.82 + vat

toyota-warranty-ts-and-cs-june-2022.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks, it good to confirm that difference between the two warranties!!

£320 is a lot less than I was expecting!

22 hours ago, RonYarisX said:

Not sure this answers the OP's question but just out of interest...

If the the DRL's are integrated into the headlight unit then on some of the more popular makes, they can be sent away and repaired. On others you have to replace the whole unit which if LED can be eyewateringly expensive  If the DRL is seperate it shouldn't be too much to replace.

Same with my input here.

Has anyone linked to this thread yet?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links