Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Carina II 1.6 Won't Start!

Jack Taylor

Afternoon All!

We have had a Carina II 1.6 in the family since brand new back in 1991 (1990 one or the other). Anyway, it's been all over the country, all around Ireland and has clocked up about 225k miles in it's life. Only ever breaking down once due to a starter motor failure!

Long story short, the car has been sat for a long time now. We are planning on restoring it, but we need to get it to run!

Currently, we can get it to fire up for a very brief period of time if we pour a little bit of fuel in the carburetor. Eventually that dries out and the engine dies. Throughout the attempt at getting it running we have done the following.

• Checked and cleaned spark plugs
  • New distributor cap
  • New rotor arm
  • Removed and cleaned out carburetor

The issue from what I can tell appears to be with either the float chamber, or the fuel pump / pressure regulator. We attempted to run it on fuel from a jar in the engine bay and put both the uptake and return fuel pipes into it (the ones that connect to the fuel pump). From what we could tell, as you attempt to start the car, it just pumps the fuel down the return and non appears to make it into the actual float bowl.

As said, if we pour some into the carb it'll start and run until that dries out.

Any ideas what this could be? I think possibly fuel pump or carb float now but I am not sure of any tests I can carry out? Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thanks!  :D 

Right, m8 🙂

All Is Good...... IF a Toyota engine will run/cough/die = it WILL run!

You Tube currently is awash with "MoPar sitting 15yr... Will it Run?" posts [easy to search....]

You will see (... the clued up ones) doing just what you have done. #hangingcolaplasticbottlepetrolfeed# 😉

You need a bottle/container... on the car roof/hanging off bonnet front edge/on step ladder... higher than the carb & feeds directly into the carb float bowl (for our carb you likely need a pipe to take overflow away from the carb/tank return).

Then with a steady = direct fuel flow you will eliminate any pump/lines/tank issues.

If it still won't go steadily then fuel inlet/carb float/jets next.

*you say you have cleaned the carb*

........ report back.

2sav

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have "attempted" to clean the carb. I took the top section off and blasted through the various crevices and holes with carb cleaner spray.

When you look at the carb from the top, I poured the fuel down the large bore closest to the front of the car. That seemed to work well, and it runs dead sweet once it has fuel in it.

I have also tried setting the "Float to carb housing" distance which the Haynes manual states is 7.2mm. I got it very close.

I will have another tinker with it tomorrow / next weekend. Are the Carbs on eBay even worth considering or do you think they'll be trash?

The best Toyota carburettor 'in the world' came out of the factory, on that car.... 😉

Plod on, m8

*that said = NZ corolla guys have extensive 'how to' fit Weber twin chokes, on various forri

https://youtu.be/rnpwDO0NAJY

2sav

• Like 1

....... further to that..... This shows where all the screws are/jets.

No English commentary

2sav

1 hour ago, tooSavvy said:

....... further to that..... This shows where all the screws are/jets.

No English commentary

Thanks mate. I will have a go again tomorrow and next weekend. I'm determined to make it work!

• Like 1

Am I being daft here? Is there a lift pump in the  fuel tank on these or do they rely entirely on the mechanical fuel pump that's on the engine? Is there any chance that is dead and can't provide any pressure to the carb do you reckon?

All pumping is done on the cylinderhead.....

Disconnect the INfeed (larger dia tube) and blow back to tank to check blockages... REturn pipe is thinner (blow that through too!)

If all clear.... Crank engine (plugs out is easier on the starter) with pump carb feed off and fuel should spurt out (err.. Into a catch container) 😉

2sav