Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What to look for in a hybrid

Jonburns

So i've decided to go with a used yaris hybrid towards the end of September when hopefully there is a bit more choice. Are there any do's or don't and things to look out for and ask about. This will be my first hybrid so want to get it right.

Cheers in advance.

J

2 hours ago, Jonburns said:

So i've decided to go with a used yaris hybrid towards the end of September when hopefully there is a bit more choice. Are there any do's or don't and things to look out for and ask about. This will be my first hybrid so want to get it right.

Cheers in advance.

J

Jon conduct all the usual checks that you normally would carry out on any car before you buy it. An extra check in regards to the Hybrid batteries to see if they have the annual health check with a certified Toyota dealership would be prudent.

In the UK I don't think one can now have the car serviced outside the Toyota dealer network, and get the hybrid health check done by a Toyota service centre. The hybrid health check has been incorporated into the hybrid electric service - which is Toyota's term for a service on a hybrid.

Hi Frostyballs  I thought that you could pay for the Hybrid health check on its own have they changed this

Am i right in thinking that the hybrid health check extends the Battery warranty.

Yes.

Any (major or minor) Toyota dealer service will have hybrid health check as an integral part of it.  (It used to be available as a £45 standalone test at any time, if you requested this.)

It's worth noting that after the 'normal' Battery warranty has expired, this service needs to be done (exactly!) annually. 

The check involves testing the hybrid system (obviously), but if 365 days, or more, has elapsed since the last check, and a fault is found (stored, historic error messages are checked on this too), then rectification will be at your expense, not Toyota's, if you choose to go ahead with the repair.  This is unlikely, but possible!

This service was recently extended from 10 years to 15 years, and covers more than just the Battery itself (i.e. the inverter).

In the rest of Europe, there still is a 10 year limit for this warranty, curiously.

I don't remember seeing any faults reported that relate to the hybrid system of the Yaris.  But, it is a (relatively) newer hybrid model, and doesn't get used for taxi duties, as some other models do.

The hybrid health test is basically a stall test that loads the motor and pack to see the degradation of the cells with a piece of proprietary Toyota software

ah found it again

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/tmu/uploads/23cb50e1f9f34a13851444ab775180d1/New HHC test- quick start guide_revised.pdf

I think you'll find most Yaris Hybrids will have been privately owned and well cared for due to the demographic to which it appeals.

Bodywork knocks and dings are much more likely to be present than serious mechanical issues.

I had mine from 2014-2018 and it was 100% reliable, the only issue was surface corrosion on the rear brake discs as they don't get much use due to the way regenerative braking works.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:32 AM, ian rooke said:

Hi Frostyballs  I thought that you could pay for the Hybrid health check on its own have they changed this

As I said, Toyota seem to have incorporated the Hybrid Health Check into the Hybrid Electric Service. There is now no mention of the Hybrid Health Check on the Toyota GB website.

Furthermore the website states:

"A Hybrid Electric Service costs no more than a normal service and specifically checks your hybrid Battery to ensure optimum performance. Every hybrid model comes with a 15 year hybrid Battery extended cover if you have a yearly Toyota Hybrid Electric Service."

Hi Frostyballs thanks for clearing that up

In addition to the Hybrid system check, I would suggest having an eye on the condition of the brakes. A Toyota Hybrid uses regenerative braking as a default when you touch the brake pedal. All those dozens of light braking maneuvers you do on every trip just to become slower or adjust your speed, all these maneuvers do not require action from the brake calipers in a Hybrid car. The good news are that this saves brake pads and discs, which wear out far less than in conventional cars. The bad news are that brake pads can go bad when they are not used frequently. You should also have an eye on the hand brake. The Yaris hybrid has a conventional automatic gear selector (PRND) which keeps the car from rolling away when set to P. So many Hybrid drivers rarely ever use the hand brake, so it may have become rusty or inoperable.

If you have such a car, it is wise to brake quite hard at least once per month in order to keep the brake pads alive.

Best regards from Bavaria

Frank

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links