Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight ticking noise coming from the engine

mitcHELLspawn

Hi there! I am brand new 'round these parts, so first off let me say hello to everyone! Seems like a very cool community.

So, let's get into it... I just bought my first ever Toyota last week! I picked up a 2020 black RAV4 XLE w/ convenience package (actually also added on the gunmetal rims as well and am going to use the alloy rims for my winter/studded tires) and let me just say I am absolutely in love. This truck is so incredible. It's freaking fully loaded and gorgeous. I am so glad I chose it as I did come very close to picking up a Mazda cx-30 GT, and while the Mazda would definitely had a few more bells and whistles, I much prefer the look and the bigger engine in the Rav.

Anyhow, enough gushing! So I picked the car up on Tuesday and it had 40km on it (has about 250 now) and on the second day my father and wife happened to notice a small tick tick tick tick tick that just continuously happens while you idle. It's not very loud but audible enough to definitely easily hear it just standing near the truck.

So I dropped by the dealership and waved down one of the guys from the service dept. He was kind of busy but he came over and I told him about it... He said that it's just the high pressure fuel pump I'm hearing and it's totally normal. He said that he gets that question alot especially from Tacoma owners who had an older model and move on to a new one because it is only in new models...

I just want to get some opinions from anyone who might know these trucks well and if any owners can attest to this sound?

Should I get a second opinion?

Also, the USB port in the front of the vehicle used for apple/android auto is not working great either.. I've tried with multiple cables and what you have to do to get it to work properly is to slightly unplug the cable from being fully inserted into the port.. it's as if when you plug it in fully as normal no connection gets made, but once you back it off a bit it works fine... The only problem with that is when you're driving in rough conditions the music and Android auto cuts out... And even if you move your phone around or anything..

I just hope I didn't get a lemon!! Lol. 

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Firstly, fuel pimps can tick a bit, but how loud is something difficult to measure on a forum, hopefully somebody with a similar model will come along and answer your question.

Regarding the USB port. Are you using genuine USB cables supplied with your devices, or third party products?. Some sockets are very fussy about what you plug into them. If you are, I would definitely get it looked at under warranty.

Welcome to the forum :-)

I guess you are in the USA and your RAV is not a Hybrid?

Chances are, that the ticking noise comes from the vacuum pump.

Modern Toyota VVT-i petrol engines have their air inlet valve always fully open, hence there is no vacuum in the manifold.

The car needs a vacuum source for the power brakes to work, so there is an additional vacuum pump that produces that light ticking.

My previous Toyota Avensis did that from new and the clicking didn't get louder in ~10 years thereafter.

Enjoy your new car!

Hey there, so I am in Canada and you are correct it's not a hybrid just AWD XLE gas engine.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it!

I am bringing the truck in to get my new rims on sometime this week so I am going to get them to look at the USB port and check the ticking at the same time. Will report back any findings 🙂