Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 corolla steering sensitivity

superclarkey

Is there anyway to change the lightness of the steering wheel? 

its way too light and twitchy on the motorway, feel like its a nervous drive imho.

checked tracking and tyre pressures.

Anything can be done without physically change cars setup etc.

thanks

• Like 1

Sport mode stiffens up the steering. I doubt you'd feel the difference on the motorway though.

Haha not about to drive it in “sports” mode all the time 😂 

wonder if it can be coded to not be like twitchy mess 🙂

Its a shame as it ruins the drive for me.

3 hours ago, superclarkey said:

wonder if it can be coded to not be like twitchy mess

You're obviously comparing it to your previous vehicle. I don't find it an issue, I wasn't sure about the CVT at first, I'm use to it now.

• Like 2

Yea i'd like the steering to be a bit stiffer just like in sport mode but obviously in sport mode the gas engine is on all of the time so mpg is going to be horrible. After searching on the infontainment system there was no option to stiffen steering feel 😕

15 minutes ago, chicken_george said:

You're obviously comparing it to your previous vehicle. I don't find it an issue, I wasn't sure about the CVT at first, I'm use to it now.

Well, its not the first car I’ve driven so I guess only way to come to a statement that it is too light is to have gained experience in other vehicles to form an opinion 🙂 😉

yes you can get used to anything however if you know its not right its nice to see if you can get a solution.

As the PAS is controlled by ecu and had been programmed there may be a way to map it or have it modified to give less assistance at higher speeds as its not a nice experience.

find myself often putting in too much steering input and having to back off a little, feels unsettling and not intuitive to drive.

I’m not going to be using the car for nordschleife touristenfahrten days lol 😂 

28 minutes ago, King Crimson said:

Yea i'd like the steering to be a bit stiffer just like in sport mode but obviously in sport mode the gas engine is on all of the time so mpg is going to be horrible. After searching on the infontainment system there was no option to stiffen steering feel 😕

I will do a bit of research and let you guys know if I find a solution, even aftermarket.  

It might also be the lack of castor and camber on the front as its very neutral set up designed to cause least rolling resistance possible.

going to fit some H&R springs to to soon to loose the arch gap and see if that helps at all.

when my wife even says its twitchy as Mod edit and too light you know its not just you haha

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Attempt to bypass the profanity filter.

My 2019 TS steering is fine, though the "lane keeping" does give a very slight nudge if I stray  a little. 

4 minutes ago, Jiff said:

My 2019 TS steering is fine, though the "lane keeping" does give a very slight nudge if I stray  a little. 

I've reduced the lane assist sensitivity down a notch. The highest setting was too aggressive for me. Although I barely use it.

3 hours ago, chicken_george said:

I've reduced the lane assist sensitivity down a notch. The highest setting was too aggressive for me. Although I barely use it.

Whilst the Corolla steering is on the light side I don't experience any twitchiness when on the move.   I switched off lane assist in the settings during the handover.  I'm not a fan of the system, my previous car had it and it was at the opposite end of the assistance spectrum compared to the Corolla.  

• Like 2

The lane assist is horrible, it zig-zags from left and right constantly (very slow oscillation), drives me insane, makes you look drunk at the wheel. 

find myself fighting it constantly to keep it straight, tried it a few times at different settings and found it not to be very useful. 

• Like 2

Can't say I've noticed anything untoward about it. It's unpleasant when using the steering assist but without that it seems fine. Not significantly different to any other vehicle. Never had any issues with under- or over- steering.

I tried some bigger wheels on it today from another car 18x9.5J ET38 with 255/35R18 and I have to say what a difference, zero rubbing too.

time to order a set of rims for it and tyres.

1 hour ago, superclarkey said:

I tried some bigger wheels on it today from another car 18x9.5J ET38 with 255/35R18 and I have to say what a difference, zero rubbing too.

time to order a set of rims for it and tyres.

Keep us posted, i'm interested in getting bigger wheels in the future as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links