Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding parking sensors and BSM

DorinA

If anyone could help me with this particular problem.. I need to know if it would be possible to add new features to a car; the features were designed by the manufacturer, but the particular model I have doesn't contain them. More specific: I bought a Toyota Yaris 2020 Hybrid which, in my country, doesn't come with Parking sensors and BSM (blind spot monitor), even on the highest packages.

Since the same car in other countries has these systems, I was wondering if I would order the original ECUs and other parts, do the wiring will these work?

Have any of you been through such scenario? I am not sure how the parking ECU will show the graphics on the car display and if the car display will automatically show the configuration menu for BSM and Parking assist (just like a PC when you put in a new hardware component).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DorinA said:

If anyone could help me with this particular problem.. I need to know if it would be possible to add new features to a car; the features were designed by the manufacturer, but the particular model I have doesn't contain them. More specific: I bought a Toyota Yaris 2020 Hybrid which, in my country, doesn't come with Parking sensors and BSM (blind spot monitor), even on the highest packages.

Since the same car in other countries has these systems, I was wondering if I would order the original ECUs and other parts, do the wiring will these work?

Have any of you been through such scenario? I am not sure how the parking ECU will show the graphics on the car display and if the car display will automatically show the configuration menu for BSM and Parking assist (just like a PC when you put in a new hardware component).

The simple answer would be NO, the cost alone would be prohibitive. 

Split into new topic and moved to the Yaris club.

As above, With the newer cars these systems are fully integrated it's not a case of plugging a module in, its more complex than that

I have 20+ years in an electronics background i understand data buses and protocols, without knowledge of the exact equipment or technical information it's a no-go, the automotive industry and there oem keep these things very confidential

Understood, yet if it's so confidential, can you tell me how the Chinese managed to build a small ECU for RAV and Corolla Hybrid that is able to read the tire pressure sensors and display the values on the car's display using even a pictogram and the measured values. It comes with harness to be connected to the original harness and it works alongside the original TPWS ECU. 

Which country are you in?

if it wasn't for the cost, I would give it a go; the issue is if it doesn't work I am stuck with the parts and also the money waste....

Parts-King, who answered your query earlier, works for Toyota dealer and would have an idea of the cost of parts for what you're asking, and if he says the cost would be prohibitive I would take his word as accurate.

Whether or not the Chinese have produced third party accessories to work on other models, and how well they work, is by the by.

In the UK Toyota dealers can fit rear parking sensors which just give audible warnings when an object is within range of the sensors. I would have thought similar systems would be available from Toyota dealers in Romania, and would be far more cost effective than what you're asking. I've had similar systems on our cars since 2006 (8 new cars between 2006 and 2020 from Mazda, Toyota and Hyundai), and not had an issue with their effectiveness.

• 11 months later...

Hello All,

I am sorry I am replying so late to this topic I had started, but I wanted to share with you what I was able to do with my Yaris. 

The car should have arrived in October 2020, but it was pushed to November..., before it arrived, I constructed the missing cabling in order to add BSM, RCTA, Parking Assist and PKSB to my Yaris. I went to the dealer and saw a similar (almost) grade and took a look at the cables I could see and also had the VIN and searched through the parts catalogue to understand what harness I needed to add.

So, I constructed the missing harness, bought original connectors for the two BSM radars and the Clearance Sonar ECU and Chinese weather sealed pins.

I also went and ordered the two BSM radars, the mounting plates and the side mirror glasses.

The car arrived mid November, and as soon as I got home, I started to work on it. I've changed the mirror glasses, and connected the radars to the harness. Once I hit Power, the Combination Meter showed the error: BSM system malfunction, please visit your dealer. It was success, as this was the indicator it would work.

Then I mounted the radars and the plates, I put in the wiring so it would follow the existing wires and calibrated the radars. I also had to add wiring for the mirrors and internal ambient blue light. After calibration, BSM was active and working.

Then, I ordered the Clearance Sonar ECU, parking sensors and mounting brackets. After the ECU arrived, I needed to ask the dealer to register the ECU Security Key and, immediately, the RCTA function was activated.

Unfortunately, I had to wait until February 2021 in order to get the front bumper parking sensor cable (yes, it took them so long to provide it; I didn't construct the front and rear parking sensors cables, because I could easily buy them from Toyota and the assembly process is very easy; I just added the other internal cables needed for parking assist), so during this period, I was stuck with the error on the display: Parking Assist Malfunction, please visit your dealer. This was because the ECU wasn't able to communicate with the front sensors. After the cable arrived, I calibrated the sensors and PKSB and Parking assist were functional.

All components I put in are original, except the pins in the connectors, I strictly followed the manufacturer's service manuals and wiring diagrams in order to get things done. As a disclaimer, I don't recommend doing such things on the car, unless you do it and are solely responsible. I know I risked a lot, but I am an enthusiast and car lover....

The car works fine since then, I had no issues with it, except the recall by Toyota (Skid Control ECU update) :).

P.S. Please don't ask me about the cost 🙂

20201126_111325.jpg

20201204_104723.jpg

20201204_121209.jpg

20201204_121217.jpg

20201217_150921.jpg

20210201_102754.jpg

20210201_111539.jpg

20210201_122557.jpg

20210201_140934.jpg

20210201_140950.jpg20201211_152029.thumb.jpg.4869bdca4c8544db62ab845998253c3a.jpg20201211_152006.thumb.jpg.d9ac23a8ecc3263303191afbae22a83c.jpg20201120_095038.thumb.jpg.c77090487367136a39909e9d3f990b42.jpg

20201120_095740.jpg

20201217_150834.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DorinA said:

I know I risked a lot, but I am an enthusiast and car lover....

And somewhat insane 😁

But huge kudos for attempting this and getting it to work. 👍

2 hours ago, DorinA said:

What did it cost? You really can't leave that hanging ...

The one thing that will be affected will be the new car warranty. The new sensors, installation work, etc won't be covered.

Holy carp that's amazing!

Massive props for even attempting that, nevermind succeeding!

Just goes to show, where there's a will, there's a way!

Great work!!

Impressive!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, DorinA said:

Hello All,

I am sorry I am replying so late to this topic I had started, but I wanted to share with you what I was able to do with my Yaris. 

The car should have arrived in October 2020, but it was pushed to November..., before it arrived, I constructed the missing cabling in order to add BSM, RCTA, Parking Assist and PKSB to my Yaris. I went to the dealer and saw a similar (almost) grade and took a look at the cables I could see and also had the VIN and searched through the parts catalogue to understand what harness I needed to add.

So, I constructed the missing harness, bought original connectors for the two BSM radars and the Clearance Sonar ECU and Chinese weather sealed pins.

I also went and ordered the two BSM radars, the mounting plates and the side mirror glasses.

The car arrived mid November, and as soon as I got home, I started to work on it. I've changed the mirror glasses, and connected the radars to the harness. Once I hit Power, the Combination Meter showed the error: BSM system malfunction, please visit your dealer. It was success, as this was the indicator it would work.

Then I mounted the radars and the plates, I put in the wiring so it would follow the existing wires and calibrated the radars. I also had to add wiring for the mirrors and internal ambient blue light. After calibration, BSM was active and working.

Then, I ordered the Clearance Sonar ECU, parking sensors and mounting brackets. After the ECU arrived, I needed to ask the dealer to register the ECU Security Key and, immediately, the RCTA function was activated.

Unfortunately, I had to wait until February 2021 in order to get the front bumper parking sensor cable (yes, it took them so long to provide it; I didn't construct the front and rear parking sensors cables, because I could easily buy them from Toyota and the assembly process is very easy; I just added the other internal cables needed for parking assist), so during this period, I was stuck with the error on the display: Parking Assist Malfunction, please visit your dealer. This was because the ECU wasn't able to communicate with the front sensors. After the cable arrived, I calibrated the sensors and PKSB and Parking assist were functional.

All components I put in are original, except the pins in the connectors, I strictly followed the manufacturer's service manuals and wiring diagrams in order to get things done. As a disclaimer, I don't recommend doing such things on the car, unless you do it and are solely responsible. I know I risked a lot, but I am an enthusiast and car lover....

The car works fine since then, I had no issues with it, except the recall by Toyota (Skid Control ECU update) :).

20201126_111325.jpg

20201204_104723.jpg

20201204_121209.jpg

20201204_121217.jpg

20201217_150921.jpg

20210201_102754.jpg

20210201_111539.jpg

20210201_122557.jpg

20210201_140934.jpg

20210201_140950.jpg20201211_152029.thumb.jpg.4869bdca4c8544db62ab845998253c3a.jpg20201211_152006.thumb.jpg.d9ac23a8ecc3263303191afbae22a83c.jpg20201120_095038.thumb.jpg.c77090487367136a39909e9d3f990b42.jpg

20201120_095740.jpg

20201217_150834.jpg

hello, I need your help and I'm impress with what you've done here. I want to fit original parking sensors to  my japanese import toyota estima 2016. My car sensors will have to be imported. The parts list is at the following link:

https://yoshiparts.com/parts/car/toyota/diagrams/estima_hybrid/ahr20-ahr20w_gfxzb-jp-2azfxe-aepg-07s-cbu?one=[["engine"%2C"2AZFXE"]%2C["year_list"%2C"2016"]%2C["frame"%2C"AHR20"]]&two=[["grade"%2C"AEPG"]%2C["seating_capacity"%2C"07S"]]&chapter=4

i can identify the sensors and sonar I need, but I can't identify the wiring/cable loom that I require? Are you able to identify it?  Also, do you feel it is possible to do this job, or is it going to be too complicated?

Thanks.