Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Confusion - 2004 RAV4 Mk 2 Automatic

RAV4-2004

Hi Folks,

Looking for some help sorting out the alternator on my 2004 RAV4 automatic.

The screeching from the front drivers side of the car (which I had hoped was just a stone stuck in the brakes) seems to be coming from the alternator so tomorrow when Storm Francis has finished, I’ll take it off and check the bearings - I’m really looking forward to the rematch with the serpentine belt from hell! 😉

My alternator is the original Toyota Denso with serial number 27060-28110 which from the research I have done seems to be a 90 amp one.

Having looked at the options for a replacement (see link below), they start at around £100 for various brands I have not heard of (but with a 2 year warranty), including one with the same serial number but there are others some rated at 100 amps but with slightly different serial numbers.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/alternator-10450/toyota/rav-4/rav-4-ii-cla2-xa2-zca2-aca2/14907-2-0-vvti-4wd

There are two Denso alternators listed; one is a 100 amp one with serial number 27060-28150 for £152 and a 90 amp one with the same serial number as mine for £258. FWIW, the 100 amp one is listed as suitable for automatics (which my RAV is) and the 90 amp one for manuals.

I can justify £152 for a new alternator but not £258 so am wondering whether there is any reason (different connections etc) not to fit the 100 amp one and save £100 or whether any of the off brand alternators are worth a punt?

Many thanks for any help.

Jerry

Alternators don't usually screech, usually it is just a worn belt unless its shot a bearing

can you pm me your vin and i will look it up, it should be 100amp it looks like yours has been changed in the past

going off the specs given

2000 - 07/2003 automatic   -  27060-28090

07/2003 onwards automatic - 27060-28260

look closely at prices as some include a core surcharge and some don't, and others are an out right purchase

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Alternators don't usually screech, usually it is just a worn belt

can you pm me your vin and i will look it up, it should be 100amp it looks like yours has been changed it the past

Thanks will PM Vin.

Not really a screech more of a howl or whine like a very loud fan (no the fan is not on) and using a screw driver as a stethoscope, something is definitely not well with the alternator or something else very close to it. Shouldn’t be the belt as I did that a couple of years ago and still have the scars to prove it!

Would be surprised if alternator has been changed, I got the car at 12 months old from a Toyota dealer but who knows.

Many thanks.
J

Many thanks to flash22 for taking the time to steer me through the alternator maze! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

After all that, when I took the aux belt of, there was nothing wrong with the alternator, or the water pump, or the idler pulley, or the power steering pump which only left the one job that I didn’t fancy tackling myself - the a/c pump! Now fixed thanks to local indy workshop. 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links