Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car being pushed to side by cross winds..or it's just me...!

wren111

Hi All.

I have a old Toyota Avenis Y reg T3. 

I have to make regular forays across the awful M62 from Manchester to Leeds and the past few months (i didn't seem to have this issue when i first got it 5 years ago-or maybe i've got more paranoid!)  i have felt my car being pushed to the side forcefully by gusts of wind. It's always windy on that awful stretch ,especially near Huddersfield, there's large stretches of open moors and bridged valley's that are exposed.  When i'm going downhill above 50 mph it moves slightly from side to side and if i brake, the car moves side to side and doesn't feel like a solid stop. It FEELS like it's the car that's the problem, as i haven't had tracking done for a while due to shortage of finances, and the car pulls to the steering side. I use to have a Toyota Avenisis years ago and similar started happening, the mechanic told me it had badly rusted underneath and inside the doors as well as the steering rack being loose and this may have caused it to be pushed around by the wind ) However, last week i was trying to get back into the left lane after overtaking a HGV and a gust of wind made me feel like my car was going to go all the way left , into the hard shoulder! It was pretty scary and i had to brake. Are you supposed to steer the opposite direction in strong winds? . Ive also been having the experience where it's so windy on that stretch that it feels like my cars battling with the wind and it's standing still. Anyway, the whole thing has started to make me get panicked and i think i'm developing  a phobia (i suffer from anxiety sometimes ) about driving in the wind on high motorways. I'm confident enough on the M60 ring road for example around Manchester, which is pretty flat and low or the M25.. I think maybe i'm partly the problem as i can get anxiety easily in stormy weather when driving or it's the car or it's both of us lol Would tracking, balancing and tyres perhaps have this effect? Rust in the bodywork making it lighter?Steering that's loose?  Could it just be the design of the car??  Anyway, i'm now contemplating not driving on it or just trying to run the gauntlet via the A58 which swoops in and out of the calderdale valley's, it's at least not windy, although i don't like it at night in the rain! I'm very confident driving in complex city/ town centers e.g have no issues in Central London, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester etc.., Low flat Motorways and A/B roads and generally in suburbs. Cheers and be kind guys...I watch the lads racing confidently on the motorway in envy..this is kind of affecting me and getting me down 😞

What is the condition of the tyres ie tread depth, also tyre pressures, are they correct.

• Like 1

Doug, even though you show as a new member, I am sure you had another account under the same 'wren' name. Starting from the simple and basic checks - tyre condition and pressure. Make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure. Label is on the door pillar showing what the pressures should be. Check the tread depth and if the tyres have worn unevenly - less tread on the inner or outer area. This will confirm alignment and possible suspension wear. You could take it to a friendly garage to check the car over. When is the MOT? A tester should spot any issues during the test. 
Most of all, if the car is showing signs of defect, be safe and don't drive it until it's fixed!    

• Like 1

Doesn't this look familiar? 

I also found messages between us. 
Further to my other advice, look at the following:  https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/age-of-a-tyre
I never use a tyre too old, nor use secondhand/used tyres, even though you can get good examples. I have changed a tyre due to puncture, bulge after catch curb edge whilst parking, tyre sounded like wheel bearing, and cracking rubber.

I remember the first time a lorry passed my old T22 in the opposite direction. I was surprised by the amount of body roll from the wind. The previous car we had in the family was an old Ford Scorpio, which didn't have nearly the same amount of body roll in similar situations.

One thing that always bugged me with the T22 was how soft the suspension was. At motorway speeds, I could feel the car almost bounce, as if it was a boat. One time in particular, I quickly had to abort a lane change since the guy I had passed suddenly sped up. The squishy suspension didn't react nicely to the maneuver and bounced the car back into the lane I was trying to avoid. Luckily, I didn't crash into the other car.

See if you can find another T22 you can test drive for comparison. It might just be how the car is from the factory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xzirri said:

I remember the first time a lorry passed my old T22 in the opposite direction. I was surprised by the amount of body roll from the wind. The previous car we had in the family was an old Ford Scorpio, which didn't have nearly the same amount of body roll in similar situations.

One thing that always bugged me with the T22 was how soft the suspension was. At motorway speeds, I could feel the car almost bounce, as if it was a boat. One time in particular, I quickly had to abort a lane change since the guy I had passed suddenly sped up. The squishy suspension didn't react nicely to the maneuver and bounced the car back into the lane I was trying to avoid. Luckily, I didn't crash into the other car.

See if you can find another T22 you can test drive for comparison. It might just be how the car is from the factory.

The dampers on your car didn't seem to working well. I had a '98 Mk1 GLS and the dampers were comfortable, but not bouncy as you describe in yours. It did suffer a little of buffeting, but not to the extent you describe. On the subject of somebody speeding up as you overtake them. I know wheat you mean and very silly and to a point dangerous. I hope that when your car 'bounced' towards the other car, it scared the driver enough to not repeat that manoeuvre again! I sometimes wonder if the other driver thinks certain makes of car, shouldn't be faster than them! I do use dash cams to catch such bad driving.

Yeah, the dampers might have been a little past their prime, as the car was about 16 years old at the time of this incident. Got through MOT though. Also, we were 4 adults in the car plus some cargo, doesn't exactly make the suspension respond better, does it.

Maybe that is the reason for OPs issue with winds pushing the car. Is there an easy way to test for this?

27 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I sometimes wonder if the other driver thinks certain makes of car, shouldn't be faster than them!

You might be onto something! For some strange reason, most of the times I get into situations like these it is usually German cars in the premium segment.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, Konrad C said:

Doesn't this look familiar? 

I also found messages between us. 
Further to my other advice, look at the following:  https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/age-of-a-tyre
I never use a tyre too old, nor use secondhand/used tyres, even though you can get good examples. I have changed a tyre due to puncture, bulge after catch curb edge whilst parking, tyre sounded like wheel bearing, and cracking rubber.

Hi Konrad. Oh yes! That was my old Toyota. Maybe it's the  same issue. I have had the MOT done recently and they said it was fine. HOWEVER..i took it to the garage 2 days ago and he said the tyres at the front were wearing thin. So, i've had those replaced now. I need to get the tracking done too. I 'm taking it to the garage on weds to get it checked and make sure it's not the bearings. I thought it was me getting anxious again for no reason.

Thanks for the input guys.  I THINK it was the thread on the tyres. However, it's now making a rattling sound once i right turn full lock. The tyre guys said it's not anything to do with putting on the 2 front tyres, but it wasn't making any noise before that. I'm taking it to the mechanics on weds anyway, to find out what's going on

I do think part of  it is the M62 over the moors near Halifax/Hudd's too! Awful weather usually and full off lorries.. 

Doug, good call to get the car looked at. As I mentioned in our PM, something with the suspension (though I didn't mention steering) and tracking, must have changed to make the car behaviour differently now. Add recent storms to the mix. 
Hopefully the check will find the solution.   

I know what you mean - I sold my T22/03 on about 80K miles and running fine because of twitchyness in winds. Much as I like Toyotas I think they do not behave as well in wind as many other cars I have owned. Never dangerous but you do notice it. My current T25/08 is the same and my wifes Yaris.