Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre-Collision Warning System

BigR1ch

Afternoon everyone.

After a bit of guidance. I have a ICON model and I don't believe that the Pre-Collision Warning System is functioning. 
The reason I say this is that on the demo vehicle I had, also an icon,  when coming up behind a Cyclist I got a warning message on the dash. I've come up behind several Cyclists recently and no warning was displayed.
I've checked the manual and it should be on by default everytime the car is started.
Is there anything I shoud check, or is there a way to Safely test the system is working?

thanks in advance

14 hours ago, BigR1ch said:

Afternoon everyone.

After a bit of guidance. I have a ICON model and I don't believe that the Pre-Collision Warning System is functioning. 
The reason I say this is that on the demo vehicle I had, also an icon,  when coming up behind a Cyclist I got a warning message on the dash. I've come up behind several Cyclists recently and no warning was displayed.
I've checked the manual and it should be on by default everytime the car is started.
Is there anything I shoud check, or is there a way to Safely test the system is working?

thanks in advance

I can't say I have seen this it all on my wife's car that we have had for about 4 months now ( I will check with her later if she has seen it) , she has a dynamic, I have an excell and I can't say I have seen it either (not cyclist related) albeit I have only had mine about two weeks.

Surely it would only activate if the cyclist was too far away form the edge of the road etc though?, I. E about to cause a collision? 

To be honest I'm a little uncertain as to how the system reacts, the manual doesn't really explain it very clearly. (page 346 onwards)

Is there a simple safe way to test that the system is working?

image.thumb.png.80320fe737bceffb6c1b17d58f4957fb.png
image.thumb.png.cf37c8a7a1d600ea2f030efd51ecad5e.png

image.thumb.png.5520d133be64aacdba95eb183485750c.png

47 minutes ago, BigR1ch said:

To be honest I'm a little uncertain as to how the system reacts, the manual doesn't really explain it very clearly. (page 346 onwards)

Is there a simple safe way to test that the system is working?

image.thumb.png.80320fe737bceffb6c1b17d58f4957fb.png
image.thumb.png.cf37c8a7a1d600ea2f030efd51ecad5e.png

image.thumb.png.5520d133be64aacdba95eb183485750c.png

Oh so its not specific to bikes you mean then ?, TBH I have had a similar system in my last few VWs and TBH unless you or someone else is doing something silly then it won't go off, I probably had it go off three times in my VW and then was usually when overtaking and the system getting slightly confused why I was going so fast whilst approaching a car etc.

Funnily enough I had the 3 beeps and BRAKE warning come up yesterday when I stayed in lane with a parked vehicle in front of me and moved right late to miss on oncoming car.  The car didn't need to apply the brakes, but was getting ready and warning me I needed to do something.

My previous Prius did apply the brakes (at low speed) a few times when intentionally reversing into long grass on the edge of a car park.

These are among the very few times the AEB system has made it's presence felt in the 50,000 or so miles I've driven in cars equipped with the feature.

I'm sure a lot of effort went into making sure these systems only activate when really necessary, as it would be a shame if a safety system actually caused accidents!  Also, if it regularly gave spurious warnings, it would be ignored when the driver needed to take action.

Update on this, I have had some beeping happen over the weekend, but no displays on the dash. I'm guessing that is the PCS beeping and I'm reacting in a way that doesn't require the dash warning to kick in.

I cannot say the word brake came up but get 3 bleeps and the car stop onnit nose when in slow moving tge mannin front braked sharply the csrvwss quicker than me

1 hour ago, BigR1ch said:

Update on this, I have had some beeping happen over the weekend, but no displays on the dash. I'm guessing that is the PCS beeping and I'm reacting in a way that doesn't require the dash warning to kick in.

Certainly if you brake yourself, or steer or accelerate it will override the AEB system.

Another reason I miss the modern instrument layout and Head Up Display of my last Prius.  The brake warning (along with others like "you're about to drive off the side of the road" [paraphrased!]) would appear in big black letters in a large red box in the HUD, and also in the instrument cluster which was way ahead just under the bottom of the windscreen - much easier to see both when looking straight ahead.

On a training day, I tested the PCS system, on a car park, accelerated to about 25 MPH and tried to drive into the back end of a bus! :eek: When I say bus, it was a cardboard cut out but still it was weird heading for the back end of it. The car braked on it's own and avoided hitting said cardboard cut out and stopped itself, such a weird feeling, I don't recommend that you try it, its very weird  

6 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

... The car braked on it's own and avoided hitting said cardboard cut out and stopped itself, such a weird feeling, I don't recommend that you try it, its very weird  

I remember the first time I experienced Adaptive Cruise Control putting the brakes on some 11 or 12 years ago - my foot was hovering  right over the brake pedal (I'd been lent a £100k Lexus LS Hybrid Long Wheel Base complete with an £8k 'relaxation' upgrade on the rear seating).  Surprising how quickly one gets used to this sort of thing though.

You can see the AEB in action on the video of Euro NCAP testing here (should start at beginning of AEB tests):

Dont forget that the pre collision system has three settings. If you have the car on the lowest sensitivity, it wont intervene until it thinks a crash is very likely.  The highest sensitivity will warn you to brake much earlier. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 6:58 PM, duncerduncs said:

Dont forget that the pre collision system has three settings. If you have the car on the lowest sensitivity, it wont intervene until it thinks a crash is very likely.  The highest sensitivity will warn you to brake much earlier. 

Where are said settings. I have the PCS on and Off option but cannot find sensitivity option.

image.thumb.png.e41f778424795d471b423081410c0200.png

Sorry, maybe I was unclear. You can change the sensitivity of the warning rather than the system itself (page 347).

The PCS will always do its best to avoid a collision within the limits of the system.

Mine beeps/flashes Red every day on a narrow curve with parked cars where you have to swerve a bit, reassuring to test its working daily.

I am usually very mindful of leaving gaps, its the way I have been trained and is the major factor in reducing accidents. But not that long after having the Rav I was following a minicab through a set of lights and the driver panicked and went from accelerating to emergency stop. I will never know if I would have stopped in time but I didn't get the chance to find out. The Rav 'saw' his emergency rate deceleration and stopped me automatically before my foot had even made it to the brake pedal. 

The cash-for-crash criminals must hate these systems as its must be much harder to force rear-end accidents against cars with it, its really fast reacting when needed and doesn't 'feel' surprised like we could!

On 9/9/2020 at 9:38 PM, duncerduncs said:

Sorry, maybe I was unclear. You can change the sensitivity of the warning rather than the system itself (page 347).

The PCS will always do its best to avoid a collision within the limits of the system.

Yes undestand that trouble is I don't have the PCS sesitivity setting as per the manual. so not sure if Icon has that option or not. its not clear

thanks for your help with this

When PCS is selected,  hold the ok button down for three seconds and then the sensitivity settings will appear 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:00 PM, BigR1ch said:

Where are said settings. I have the PCS on and Off option but cannot find sensitivity option.

image.thumb.png.e41f778424795d471b423081410c0200.png

On 9/6/2020 at 3:15 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Honestly no, they released in response to faults found and

• Thanks 1