Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Mk1 1.0 engine swap/upgrade

Hadhodrim

Hello fellow Toyota owners,

I have an old, but much loved Yaris from 2002 with 1.0 engine. Since I really don’t want to sell it, but want to wet my feet with engine upgrade (I have car mechanic friends who have solid experience in this area, but not familiar with this model) I thought I give it a try. 

First, I tried to google it, thats how I found this forum, but those topics are 10+ years old, and the upgrade kits they mentioned are kinda extinct now.

So I’d like to ask, does anyone from here own a modified Yaris Mk1? What are the experiences so far?

I’d be okay with a custom cylinder-head + ECU + exhaust system (something thats not loud as hell) + lightened flywheel (+truing) + air filters but not sure if it gave me enough power boost to justify the cost.

Or even swap the engine to a 1.8 VVT-I corolla or an Mk2 Suzuki GTI 1.3, or something else. (Looked for an 1.5 TS but there isn’t any available in my area).

What are your thoughts in the topic? 

The brakes, suspension and cooling system will not cope with a big increase in power. A 1.5 litre T sport will end up cheaper in the long run.

15 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

The brakes, suspension and cooling system will not cope with a big increase in power. A 1.5 litre T sport will end up cheaper in the long run.

Thanks! Forgot to mention that the suspension and the breaks are already fitted for the T sport engine, the last owner had a custom-built 1.5 in it but swapped the engine+exhaust system back to the original before he sold it to me. So all in all, the only reasonable way is to sell this no matter what and buy a T sport? 😞