Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking of buying a 2012 Aygo for Daughter

007fair

Hi All !

I would appreciate responses to the below and understand i am looking for free advice from experienced Aygo people! 

My daughter is (hopefully) just aboutto pass her test and is looking for a small first car.   I encouraged her to up her budget from 700 and she agreed to 2k - 3k.   A 2012 Aygo fire 5 door, 1 owner, FSH, 41,000 miles, just MOT'd is being sold locally for 3250.    I see the Aygo are Chain drives and the clutch probably won't be needing replaced at that mileage (Owner is not an elderly person).

So - reasonable buy?    Anything specifically I should watch out for for this age of Aygo?

Many thanks!

Robert

Generally a very reliable car, especially when regularly serviced, no chain issues. Clutches can be weak, check the height of the clutch bite on the pedal. They also suffered a few water leaks. Check carpets in the rear, and seats for water stains, also in the wheel well for signs of sitting water, modified light seals, high level brake light and tailgate bump stops usually cured the leaks. I am sure you could negotiate that price down a bit :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The prices seem so high on these cars. We paid 1500 last year for an 08 platinum with about 70k and a poor service history. My daughter has had hers as a first car and she did struggle with the clutch initially so tell her to practice somewhere quiet before going on the road which scared my daughter as she kept stalling. The gear change also needs a bit of practice as it wont be like her pristine learner car, Fixing them is very simple. Water leaks can be major in the back so check the boot carpets and footwell carpets plus wheel well. Relatively easy to fix but I would want it bone dry for 3k. The 1.0 engine pulls well and I think is surprisingly quick. I also like the driving position and great visibility. Its a bit of a rattle box and only 3 cyliners so not the smoothest but good city car and ive taken it on motorway at 70mph and is safe. If you can get AC its good. Ours is icy cold and although it saps a bit of power its nice to have.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SimonIG10 said:

The prices seem so high on these cars. We paid 1500 last year for an 08 platinum with about 70k and a poor service history. My daughter has had hers as a first car and she did struggle with the clutch initially so tell her to practice somewhere quiet before going on the road which scared my daughter as she kept stalling. The gear change also needs a bit of practice as it wont be like her pristine learner car, Fixing them is very simple. Water leaks can be major in the back so check the boot carpets and footwell carpets plus wheel well. Relatively easy to fix but I would want it bone dry for 3k. The 1.0 engine pulls well and I think is surprisingly quick. I also like the driving position and great visibility. Its a bit of a rattle box and only 3 cyliners so not the smoothest but good city car and ive taken it on motorway at 70mph and is safe. If you can get AC its good. Ours is icy cold and although it saps a bit of power its nice to have.

Thank you for your reply ! 

6 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Generally a very reliable car, especially when regularly serviced, no chain issues. Clutches can be weak, check the height of the clutch bite on the pedal. They also suffered a few water leaks. Check carpets in the rear, and seats for water stains, also in the wheel well for signs of sitting water, modified light seals, high level brake light and tailgate bump stops usually cured the leaks. I am sure you could negotiate that price down a bit :thumbsup:

Many thanks - thats helpful !

My daughter has a 2012 Aygo fire. Bought new and has around 60,000 on the clock. Apart from the first 3 years I have done all the servicing. Its real easy. I replaced the front disc's and pads around 40,000 miles. She is rather heavy on the brakes. As for the clutch no issues. Lots of videos on you tube to assist you in servicing.

She did have a minor issue with dampness due to a small leak from the high level brake light. Some silicon sealant sorted that. 

Bad points, not the ideal car for motorways . It has no AC and its not missed. The 2012 is pretty basic, for example the interior light only comes on when the drivers door is opened. 5 speed gearbox, doesn't need 6 engine not powerful enough.

Good points, zero road fund licence, cheap insurance, 55mpg on a bad day 60 on a good day. Tyres good for 30 to 35,000 miles. As its my daughter I put quality tyres on at replacement time. Ideal town car, small size good for those smaller parking spots. Put the rear seats down and you can get a mountain bike in the back. 

Check the spare wheel and jack are in the car. Overall a good car that should provide years of hassle free motoring.

PS replaced the Battery at 55,000 miles it would have been ok awhile but my daughter was off to live in Manchester so I put a new one in. 

• Like 1

Hi Robert and welcome. :thumbsup:

OK, here goes.....I have an Aygo, it's a 2012 "Fire" with 41,000 miles on the clock...sound familiar? :wink:

Ours is a three door and that's the only difference so be aware of the recall on the 5 door for the rear windows as they can come detached from the hinges. It's a free recall so if it hasn't been done, contact your local Toyota dealer.

Apart from that, it is a fantastic car for your daughter.....Cheap as chips to run, zero tax, reliable and loads of fun.  I normally change my car after about 3 years but ours is eight now and it's not going anywhere!.....To be honest, our little fella is the best car I've ever owned and has become part of the family.....I even talk to him! :blushing:

I drive around town and also on the motorway, it's easy to park and can pick up it's heels on the M6.....70mph is effortless and we have done Cromer, Oban, Swindon, Aberystwyth and loads of other places from the Lancs/Yorks border with ease.

I am 6'4" and my Wife is 5'8" and we fit in with ease.....I have to admit that I have changed the seats to the mark 2 versions as they were my only niggle....You sit ON an mark 1 seat, you sit IN a mark 2 version but it is a straight and very easy swap.

I have never had the damp problems caused by the rear, high level brake light but I do wash and wax my little guy regularly, so the build up of Auto Glym might have helped.  I did change the Battery to a Bosch one, last Christmas and I did change the Brake discs, shoes, pads, pistons and fluid at the last service (April) but that was my choice, as a precaution as they were all original.....HONESTLY!!!!

Our little fella owes us nothing, as I say, it's been the best car that I have ever had and we still love it 

If you want a safe, reliable, fun car for your daughter, look no further and......Just buy it......Who knows?...Your Lass could be a new member on here.....She would be more than welcome!

All the best! :driving:

expect it to leak...can be fixed in a few hours with a tube of sealer 

id make sure it has a/c , make it much better place to be on those hot days and helps with demisting in winter

We have a Peugeot 107, which is basically the same car, owned from new for 12 years and it been a great little car, reliable, cheap to run and maintain. Actually seeing all those Toyota stickers on the mechanical/engine bits was reassuring when buying and have not been disappointed. As said, the main mechanical gremlins in early cars were fixed by 2012, but although I believe they attempted to sort some of the water leaks, they still affect all cars mainly the rear end, so check the boot and rear wheel well. As Orange mentioned if you go 5 door make sure the pop out rear windows/hinges have been looked at, which could detach from the glass, it was covered by a recall, ours is a 3 door so not an issue. 

Some peeps comment on the clutch biting point and tricky to get used to, personally I not had a problem, so maybe worth getting your daughter to try it on test drive, to see how she feels, but my sister has Peugeot 108 with Toyota engine, which she struggled with initially, but drives it better than me now! As you can see we liked our 107 so much we got a 108 but wanted the toyota engine, had that 3 years now and it also been great little car. 

For what it is ours has been a great all rounder, great round town, but can hold its own on the motorway and a fun drive as well. Depends what you want, but I love their simplicity cos there is less to go wrong. 

• Like 1

if you look around, maybe consider an Aygo with MMT auto gearbox? She can get out on the roads, and gain experience, then occasionally practice in a slightly better manual car, so she doesn't lose the manual driving skill. 

3 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

expect it to leak...can be fixed in a few hours with a tube of sealer 

id make sure it has a/c , make it much better place to be on those hot days and helps with demisting in winter

Regarding the AC. When my daughter bought hers I think the AC was around £500 extra. So she did without. 

I use the AC more in winter for demisting in my car. My daughter only once complained about the lack of AC and that was stuck in a traffic jam for the Glastonbury festival.

Note if you do without the AC the cabin doesn't have an air filter. How do I know, bought one when I serviced the car and confused me me thinking it was well hidden.

If you get AC make sure it works or use it as a bargaining point.

The 5 door in my view is the best option. Good luck

I've got a 2012 Aygo Fire 3-door with just 35k miles and had the left rear light cluster off at the weekend to apply some sealant to stop the leak coming in there. It passed the first rain test today so fingers crossed that's sorted.

Last year I had the rear exhaust section replaced as the metal 'finger' that sits in the rubber hanger had rusted off. I think this happens fairly commonly as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links