Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota’s own car insurance?

Scottydog007

How do people feel about Toyota’s own car insurance? Has anyone had to make a claim? 
Now I have this insurance which is due to run out next week. I have checked others for quotes and get over £280 less with RAC, LV and others. That is massive. I just phoned Toyota and they reduced this by £40.

First annoyance I have is the customer services phone number at the top of the renewal notice is an unobtainable number, I had to google to find the correct number.

I would imagine it is not strictly Toyotas own insurance, rather Some other existing company is at the back of it and allowing Toyotas name at the front for the die hard Toyota totally loyal customers to remain loyal. I got a quote once, but now been with LV for 7-8 years. Had to claim late last year and all went through very smoothly.

Toyota Car insurance is provided by Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance UK Limited - Asia's largest insurer.

Car manufacturers don't underwrite their own insurance schemes - all contract with an insurer or broker to provide insurance under the car manufacturer's brand. For example Ford Insure is provided by a subsidiary of Admiral,

Hi.

Did you try ourselves for insurance at all?

Regards,

Dan.

So I put used Go Compare and they came back with £500 for LV, RAC and some others. Toyota was coming out at £783 and when I phoned them went down to £730.

Now in the past I used LV and 6 years ago had an accident in my Landrover. LV were generally fantastic to deal with but the one negative side was they sent me to an unknown garage not a Landrover place and the work was atrocious. It had to come back and be redone. Plus I got a !Removed! hate car. Toyota at least state they will send you to a Toyota garage and have Toyota parts put on. 

Now I have been with RAC and had nice service from them, they send a document immediately when I left showing my no claims bonus. But when I went on line directly with RAC and added minor additional information the quote went from £500 to £730. So how do Go Compare get it so cheap?

I have yet still to phone RAC directly.

The majority of insurers will use their own network of 'approved repairers' as it keeps their costs down. Of course you do have the option of choosing your own repairer, but some insurers now charge an additional excess if you go outside their network.

Suppose one could ask for a manufacturer (ie Toyota) approved repairer.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I made the mistake of going with Toyota insurance as I was so happy with our dealer and the extended warranty. Big mistake as they hiked the premium 25% for having the rear windows tinted. I would avoid in future and definitely go with one of your cheaper quotes. I found Direct Line excellent for many years.

Routinely have to wait upwards of 20 minutes to get through to anyone at Toyota too.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Yea Toyota Insurance are extremely hostile to any kind of modification - Not even worth trying them if your car deviates from spec even a bit (IIRC they were the only insurer to raise the quote for my 15"s, and they were already the highest quote to begin with!!)

I find they are an insurer you have for 1-2 years when you catch them on a cheap rate, but quickly jump ship as the premium suddenly skyrockets the next year for no discernable reason.

It feels like they have a quota of clients and if you get in under that you get a cheap rate, but when they go over they just give silly high quotes... I've had some years where I went with them because they undercut everyone else by a couple hundred quid (!!) but, then they go back to normal and the price ends up being a couple hundred quid over the average :laugh: 

It's so funny, as most insurers seem to be on similar hymn sheets - One goes up they all go up, one goes down they all go down, but Toyota Insurance just seem to do their own thing :laugh:

• Like 1

I remember a while ago, a previous member who was an existing customer of Toyota Insurance, wanted to have winter tyres on smaller 15 inch wheels (down from 17 inch wheels) on their Auris Hybrid. They refused the modification.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I used one of the comparison sites.   Lowest suitable price was from RCIB a broker.   I renewed with them -  £200 cheaper than my Aviva renewal. 

When I got the documents it was from LV. 

Changing from 2 Yr old Corolla to new Yaris Cross,  no change just £35 Admin fee.   What's not to like. 

Incidentally my dealer never mentioned insurance. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 11:53 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The majority of insurers will use their own network of 'approved repairers' as it keeps their costs down. Of course you do have the option of choosing your own repairer, but some insurers now charge an additional excess if you go outside their network.

Suppose one could ask for a manufacturer (ie Toyota) approved repairer.

Trouble is that the network of approved dealers normally means the insurance companies have agreements with the repairers that are not always in the customers best interest as the aim is to provide the cheapest repair.  This can mean that some repair shops can cut corners and, having worked in a branch of one national repair company, I know some of those corners can be very sharp.  I have seen third party panels used and even panel and parts fitted that have come off of vehicles that have been written off.   Although the insurers often promised a courtesy car in many cases it can the responsibility of the repair shop to provide it leaving the customer playing piggy in the middle when the courtesy car is not available.

I am currently paying Aviva £217 on my 2021 Aygo with protected no claims, car hire, legal aid and it also includes and additional charge so that I can chose a repair body shop of my choice.  Needless to say the car would not be going nowhere near the body shop I worked for it is needed to be repaired.

• Like 2

Approved repairers often say they do "Green" repairs, in reality that means non genuine and second hand parts from the likes of co part. Your car can be picked up and taken anywhere for the repair. 

• Like 1

I said my dealer had not mentioned insurance,  swelp me,  email from Toyota insurance today 😄

No mention of GAP  either. 

In both cases,  too late she cried 😂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links