Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare wheel compatibility

scar

I don't know if theres a search function that I could use to get this info but if there is I couldn't find it.

So here's my question, is the space saver spare wheel off the MK4 ( XA40 ) compatible with the MK5 ( XA50 ).

Ive done a bit searching and it seems the full size wheels on the MK4 have a 45mm offset and the MK5 have a 35mm offset. This offset difference may have absolutely nothing to do with a space saver. 

So can you use a MK4 space saver on a MK5 ?

Steve

You could try it on the car and make sure the rolling diameter is the same as the other wheels. If it sticks out slightly more than the other wheels it doesn’t really matter as it will be only used for emergencies and for short periods.

The offset isn't going to be particularly relevant since the space saver is a far narrower wheel in the first place.

The standard wheels on my RAV 4.4 are 235/55 R18s - these have an effective diameter of 716 mm.

The OEM space saver space in the boot is 165/80 D17 - this has an effective diameter of 696 mm ... so 2.8% smaller that the standard wheel and deemed OK by Toyota.

As I understand the standard wheels on a 4.5 are 225/60 R18s - which would have an effective diameter of 727 mm. This means that the 4.4 space saver spare that I have would be 4.3% smaller than the standard wheel. I don't know what is deemed a reasonable tolerance for use over a short journey at modest speed ...

What you need is someone with a 4.5, with a space saver spare in the boot, to tell you what size it is ... 😉

Thanks for the replies, still sitting on the fence between getting a full size alloy and a space saver. 

Worth Googling for scrap dealers that have a written off RAV4.5 Excel with an undamaged road wheel or space saver?

Hi

Tried scrap dealers all over the country via google.

One response and the guy didn’t have a clue when I rang to confirm that it was the correct wheel.

He said something like its a 16 inch but it should be ok!!!!!!!!!!! ( for a 2020 rav 4 ??? )
waste of time.

I think Oponeo is the way to go. You can end up with a full size spare for about £200 depending on tyre you purchase.

As long as you arn’t fussy about having an identical design spare. Bare in mind that the skinny spare isn’t the same design so does it matter for a short period of time.

regards Terry

Thanks to those that have replied. Been really busy so haven't got around to sorting a spare yet. Will up date the forum when I get sorted. 

Hi

Don't see any point in opening a new thread for this topic

my question is, Does anyone know the part number for the polystyrene holder for the jack on the 2019/2020 Rav 4 ??
managed to get everything else together and just need that shaped piece that the jack sits in.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

regards Terry

Terry,

Thats the bit I'm struggling with. I don't want to cut the one that's presently fitted. Asked the Toyota parts guy at the dealers I use. "its not available" either he cannot be bothered to look or its truly not available which I find hard to believe. 

Hi

I have decided to make one as I have spent hours trying to find out the part number.

As you can see I have asked the question here but no response.

I reckon 2 pieces of Celotex 18inch x18 inch of 3 inch thick.

It cuts and sands very easily to shape and a £2.99 can of black spray paint will be job done.

At the end of the day it is to sit within the spare wheel and hold the jack ect in place under the floor and not rattle around.

Terry

Hi all,

As you can see I have a Rav 2012 without a spare at all.  What would be the lightest and smallest space saver wheel I could get to put in my boot space please ?  How much are they ?  Is it possible to retro fit a space saver wheel to carry underneath a MK 3 ?  My standard wheels are 235/55 R18.

Cheers

Hi

I personally have not got a clue as I am a new member here and new to Toyota.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can answer that for you.
This appears to be a really helpful club and has a lot of knowledge stored away.

Definitely worth you putting Your question into the search function.

Regards Terry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links