Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.4 D4D whining noise

domaagoj

Hi,

i maybe have a problem with 2013 Auris 1.4 d4d 6 speed gearbox 150000km. Over 60 kmph a whistling noise occurs and it gets more high pitched the faster i go, no change on engine rpm, noise is the same int 4th, 5th and 6th gear. Sounds like some bearing spining, not very loud but i hear it. The noise only occurs when I am accelerating or maintaining speed. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator pedal it stops. Over 100-110 kph it blends into the background and i cant hear it any more.
My mechanic thinks its gearbox bearing, he had few similar cases but all on Corolla and older generation Auris with 1.4 d4d, but not on this "newer" Auris.
Anyone with something similar?

Thank you, bye

While at speed, try to depress the clutch, until rpm's drop to 1000, and see if the noise stays there.

Could be just wind noise.

For example, i put new aerial antenna, and it kept whistling hard  at 50 kmh, and sounded like there's problem between the door gaps, not on the roof.

14 hours ago, furtula said:

While at speed, try to depress the clutch, until rpm's drop to 1000, and see if the noise stays there.

Could be just wind noise.

For example, i put new aerial antenna, and it kept whistling hard  at 50 kmh, and sounded like there's problem between the door gaps, not on the roof.

Hi, sound disappears when i move my foot from gas pedal, its not related to engine rpm, only speed and only in gear and when i hold accelerator pedal

So you want to say, as soon as you stop pressing the gas pedal, the sound just disappears?

While going downhill, and the sound is present, if you take your foot off the gas pedal, is the sound still there?

1 minute ago, furtula said:

So you want to say, as soon as you stop pressing the gas pedal, the sound just disappears?

yes

1 minute ago, furtula said:

While going downhill, and the sound is present, if you take your foot off the gas pedal, is the sound still there?

no, dont know how to explain it better but sound is there only when drivetrain is under load like when im accelerating or maintaining speed

and one more thing, friend has exactly the same car from same year with 20000km less and there is no sound on his car, everything else is the same

• 1 year later...

I'm driving a friend's 2016 1.4D with 40k km, having the exact same problem described by @domaagoj

I'm also trying to find out what the problem is. Will probably visit a garage on next week but not feeling very confident that they will know where the sound comes from without tearing the car apart, lol. 

Could be the noise is caused by wind. Few years ago i replaced aerial antenna, and a whistling noise, would always start at exactly the same speed, some 32 mph.

That's why i mentioned that at speed, you should try disengaging the clutch, let the rpm's drop, and see if the sound is still there.

Could also be a crooked exhaust shield, or something like that, that one happens often.

Transmission bearings, differential bearings and wheel bearings should be the first things to be checked along with transmission oil, transmission bearings get loaded when car accelerates and if they had lost some of they hardness they start to whine especially when loaded. Worn gears or bad tyres can produce very similar whine and sometimes is difficult to find out what exactly is the real problem. 👍

On 9/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, TonyHSD said:

Transmission bearings, differential bearings and wheel bearings should be the first things to be checked along with transmission oil, transmission bearings get loaded when car accelerates and if they had lost some of they hardness they start to whine especially when loaded. Worn gears or bad tyres can produce very similar whine and sometimes is difficult to find out what exactly is the real problem. 👍

That is a very good point. 

I'd like to add the fact that the clutch feels very worn out. Also, the sound starts to be noticeable at lower speeds, even while driving around a noisy town. Can't hear the sound while revving stationary, tho. 

Booked a service check for Thursday morning. Wondering what the verdict will be, and assuming that the warranty doesn't cover, let's say, a clutch bearing(clutch kit) at 40k km. 

• Thanks 1

Been to a small auto garage: the whining sound comes from the gearbox, probably, and the repair should be covered by warranty, probably. Still a mistery, this is. 

• Thanks 1

Probably, could mean that it's not the gearbox, but something else, or something easily fixable. They are just guessing, like you and me.

Try to find a garage that does Toyota's only.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links