Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ethanol free gas or topTier E10 gas for RAVPrime?

YRB49

I've been told to use ethanol free gas for RAV4 prime (and the hybrids).  Apparently the idea is that since the gas sits in the gas tank for longer periods of time (with a Prime if you charge it regularly and your trips are short, you may not have to fill gas for many months if at all) it will go bad and gas with ethanol supposedly does not last as long as ethanol free gas).    Unfortunately, the only ethanol free gas available here is not top tier that has all of the detergent additives which help prevent carbon buildup  in the engine.    Thus, I am not sure which would be best the ethanol free gas or a top tier E10 gas.

Does modern fuel go bad?  As you're not using the fuel very often, it might be worth the extra expense of a 99 RON fuel (sometimes called super unleaded)?

From the OP's use of the word "gas" for gasoline, I assume he is in North America.  If so, I believe the quality of fuel there is lower than UK/Europe, and it may be that it does go bad there.  One would hope that the best source of advice would be Toyota USA.

Alternatively, I understand that fuel additives are popular in the USA, because of the quality issue.  Amazon seems to offer a good choice here.

Unless Toyota themselves ( not an ill informed dealer ) recommend this I would take it with a very big pinch of salt. I suspect that selling fuel additives is big business in the US.

Filling your fuel tank with an higher octane fuel than the engine requires, is as useful as burning £5 notes and filling the tank with the resultant ash, it wastes money. 

Higher RON fuel, which many users run on, will probable give little noticeable difference in a modern low mileage low oil burning engine unless a high compression ratio makes it susceptible to detonation.

High mileage engines burning some oil are prone to the buildup of carbon on the valves which can result in a gradual tail off in performance with major fuel manufactures use a variety of additives to keep the insides clean, and these,  together with the refinery blending of the main fractions to give the higher RON (less knock prone) are what they charge for.