Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Using factory fitted Auris rear camera to Pioneer DA230DAB

fawadsabir@outlook.com

Hello,

I have purchased a pioneer da230dab unit with CarPlay.. everything works fine and im loving it.. DAB, steering wheel controls etc all work fine.

I am struggling to get the factory fitted rear camera working.. i have connected a 16 pin connector with an RCA socket to the back of the pioneer but struggling a bit to understand where the ground or accessory power go..

Also there is a mention of having to drop the voltage down from 12v to 6v -  i have read around that this is a requirement for a subaru, but not sure on the Auris.. anyone know the answer?

You will need a camera retention adapter

Mk1 or mk2 auris

CAM-1TY-RT 16 PIN

CAM-2TY-RT 24 PIN

sounds like you have one already or made one, power and ground tap the stereo wiring the adapter has a built in voltage reg to drop the power to 6v (5-7v tolerance)

Thanks for this... 

Yes I have this (images attached) - it all seems self explanatory to be fair.  I guess i chop the yellow and feed that to the power and the black goes to the ground.. see attached photos.

But where im a bit dubious is the need to drop the voltage - i cant find any details about what voltage the auris camera is.  I know the pioneer will give 12volt, so there will be a need to drop i assume..

But can someone clarify, and also any idea how i can drop the voltage?

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

You will need a camera retention adapter

Mk1 or mk2 auris

CAM-1TY-RT 16 PIN

CAM-2TY-RT 24 PIN

sounds like you have one already or made one, power and ground tap the stereo wiring the adapter has a built in voltage reg to drop the power to 6v (5-7v tolerance)

Hi Mate..

Thanks for your response - i have ordered the adapter and also the voltage dropping thingy.. i suspected that all i needed was the cable i got, but it never so had to order that too:

ttps://incartec.co.uk/product/12V-to-6V-voltage-converter-for-reverse-cameras

At £30 each it wasnt cheap.. wish i had gone down the route of adding a third party one.. but hey ho.

thanks - ive ordered the alternative cable.

Many thanks.

if you have already wired up and tried the camera you may of blown it with putting double the voltage through it.

Nope.. not connected it so fingers crossed all should be good.

Hello..

Me again - this is started to frustrate me.  I have received the retention cable and connected everything as expected however im a bit confused.

Ground cable is connected to the ground cable.

Reverse switch cable from the back of the pioneer is connected to the head unit and not to the retention cable.  This works as expected and when i put the car in reverse the screen changes over but no video shows.

Any idea where im going wrong.  Im not sure if im supposed to just leave the reverse switch cable disconnected from the retention cable.

I have put in the old toyota unit to check if ive not blown the camera and it works perfectly on there.. 

Any ideas?  Ive attached some photos

pic1.png

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

So after spending alll morning messing around with the setup this morning i have now got it working.  I had to use a mixture of a incartech retention cable along with a 12v - 6v transformer from the connects2 cable and it works.  I think the pin outs on the connects2 doesnt have the correct pin outs or was faulty.. but yes it works perfectly... 

👍👍👍👍

• 11 months later...

Hi Fawad,

I have the same problem with my 2010 hybrid (but different head unit) - all seems to work but just no video!

Could you share what you did to resolve the problem please?

What adapter have you used, what model was the factory head unit ? As above, the factory camera uses 6V (5-7v)

Early cars use the 20 pin for the camera later cars use the 16 pin and some have an unusual pinout

Socket view or wire side of the plug

492733917_20pinrevcamtns510.thumb.jpg.3c9ef26ea8efbedbafdc62233c296fd3.jpg

1. 6v

11. Ground

2. Video +

12 Video Ground

• 7 months later...

I have a Auris Excel with reversing camera and have been installing a Sony Head unit.

The connects2 main kit CTKTY08 worked okay (no drilling or cutting required, discard head unit DIN cage) but does not provide the dab aerial connector or support the use of the factory fitted USB socket.

Also of course no cable for the rear camera and having the 16pin socket got the CAM-1TY-RT

However, on trying it the head unit Sony XAV-AX3250 switched okay to the reverse camera but reported no video signal

Thus I checked the voltage at the regulator for the camera supply. 12v in and nothing out. I then noted it was getting very hot!

On further investigation on a page called "Subaru & Toyota OEM Head Unit 16-pin Rear Camera Input How It Works" it seemed to me that the output polarity was wrong feeding the rear camera.

Thus I swapped the wires around hoping the reverse voltage had not damaged the camera and yes it actually worked 🙂

I may have just had a one off unit wired wrong or perhaps they all ship this way.

I have a 28pin (male to female) cable on order to hopefully add parking break support (needed for Android Auto setup) and cables for the USB and DAB. I will report back when they arrive and if they work (coming from the USA and China).

20220327_104524.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just came across this thread after I posted one about how to wire a reverse camera retention adapter.  I had to buy a CAM-2TY-RT 24 PIN adapter for my Auris

May I ask which wires from the retention adapter you actually spliced into, please?  Do I need to splice the cables from the retention adapter to the factory harness, Pioneer adapter Loom, or the Connects2 Loom?  I'm just a bit confused about where they should splice into.

Thank you.

pick up the 12v reverse signal to power the retention adapter, it should be on pin 2 on the 28 pin

44499465_tt228pin.thumb.jpg.20cc3a93c0d10e279116cccb135ba064.jpg

This is the socket view or cable side of the plug

Pin 2 - either red or brown

if it's not fitted, you can find the reverse signal at the Instrument panel junction box behind the glove box or use a can bus adapter

https://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CAM-TY2-RT.pdf

Ignore the reverse wire on the Connects2 CAM-TY2-RT it's not used in this application

I don't seem to have anything on pin 2 on the 28 pin connector.

Could I just match from the retention adapter, red to red, black to black on the Pioneer loom and then attach the brown wire to the pioneer reverse wire coming out of the unit?

Pin 2 should indeed have the reverse signal. Are you counting the pins from the correct end / row, some images seem to cause confusion.

That then feeds the CAM-1TY-RT and the camera (from what I recall).

New op has his own thread, up to mid 14 had the touch system what has the reverse wire on pin 2, after mid 2014 the radios changed to the touch2 that uses a can bus reverse signal

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links