Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso vvti 2003 1.6 ZZE . Knocking when light braking

Steveieb

Firstly may I thank everyone on the Corolla Club especially Blade for helping me identify the correct drive shafts.Im amazed by the quality of the ones that you suggested from J and R on eBay.

But unfortunately replacing the shafts hasn’t fixed the knock from the brakes on light braking.

My INDI thought this was the problem but checked the pads movement in the callipers and said the shims were in place.

So this knock still persists and is so annoying.

Other owners have suggested that after market pads are to blame.

But any other ideas please ?

Heard it could be the pads rattling in the callipers but these have been checked.

It happens once the car has done a few stops ie it has warmed up. The Toyota grease is only available in large drums for workshop use at £40 so I can’t try that.

Do you think I am on the right track ?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

If it is brake pad rattle , try Ceratec from Mintex, it worked for me, use in place of copper grease.

Its about £3  and more than enough for a couple of cars in a tube.

https://mintex.com/copper-slip-vs-ceratec/?lang=en-gbr

What about the caliper slider bolts, have you checked /cleaned them, lubricate with silicone grease or red grease, again quiet cheap.

Have you checked the caliper bracket mounting bolts are tight ?

Could be any of the suspension bushes .and linkages as well, have they been checked ?  the Antiroll bar bushes also a common wear point for causing such knocks according to my mot tester.

Thanks old codger.

My mechanic took some time diagnosing the noise and recommended changing the driveshafts.

But what I can’t understand is that it doesn’t happen straight away . Only after driving the car for about ten operations of the brake pedal.

Does this ring any bells or point to the pads ?

Hi,

Pad rattle as I have experienced it is when going at lower speeds over bumps you hear a rattle/knock sound.

Go over the same bump again, but brake lightly and the sound is not there, so means the pads are rattling when no pressure is applied.

You are saying it rattles/knocks when lightly appying the brakes,  but is it from the fronts or rears ?  - cannot find any post of yours being any more specific about the sound.

Is it several small knocks, more a rattle or just a single louder knock ?

If you brake harder and sudden does it knock ?

Are you doing the check and work yourself or leaving it to the garage /mechanic ?

Surely they can test drive it and expereince the fault ?

Have any of the check point I mentioned in my last post been done ?

What about the brake discs are they new-ish , has the problem just started since you put new pads in ?

Many thanks for your help old codger.

The noise appears to come from the brake pedal area. ie transferred through the pedal. It’s a single knock.

My mechanic diagnosed the drive shafts which were changed but also checked the pads. Discs were changed at last MOT with the discs by the previous owner.

it’s a single knock Which doesn’t appear until after the first ten operation of the brake. This is probably why my mechanic didn’t notice it on his short test drive after he had fitted the driveshafts.

Overall I’d say it comes from the front of the car. But the thread I have placed on Honest John Technical describes other owners attempts to sort the problem.

If you have time can you take a look please ?

cheers,

Steve

Hi,

Yes have looked at the HJ thread, seems a few folk have had it, though not a regular problem I have read about in this forum.

Cannot give any specific answer, doing maintenance myself I would just work though things one by one.

The first step would be to remove, clean and lubricate the pads, shims, pad carriers and slider bolts with Ceratec and the sliders with Silicone Grease or the Proslip range (£13 a set) on all four wheels and see what effect that has.  Also checking on pad wear and eveness between the two pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOpqga1mUX8

Is it something you can do  ?    

Expect Toyota will only use their own  lubricants ( liabilities etc) though perhap a local garage will use your own lubricants.

Why only after 10 braking applications,  could be temperature or pressure related , eg try driving for longer before applying  any brakes to see if distance rather than braking actions is the real cause.

Thanks again Old Codger.

Since the car had new driveshafts the brakes only knock on light application of the brake after they have been operated several times.

Its light braking that causes the knock/tap.

Cheers

As you can see it could be so many things causing the knock, you are just going to get  just about every part of the car suggested !

You say your INDI, not a term I know of relating to cars,  assume you mean an independent mechanic/ garage or just a friend who does  cars ?

Did he suggest the drivesahfts ?  usually they either literally break in half  or the cv joints start clicking etc.

Either way seems you need to go over everything one part at a time, cleaning, inspecting , lubricating if needed, better than just guessing and replacing parts.

Is your MOT due, a good way to have many suspension parts checked out,

• 1 month later...

Progress so far .

New pins fitted which improved things for a while then the pads started squealing.

So I can only assume the pads are poor quality.

Can you recommend a good quality OE pad to fir to a 2003 Corolla Verso zzE

Many thanks

And can anyone explain why the noise went away for a week after the anti rattle pads were fitted then returning as usual ?

On 11/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, Steveieb said:

Progress so far .

New pins fitted which improved things for a while then the pads started squealing.

So I can only assume the pads are poor quality.

Can you recommend a good quality OE pad to fir to a 2003 Corolla Verso zzE

What brand / type of pads were fitted ?

6 hours ago, Steveieb said:

And can anyone explain why the noise went away for a week after the anti rattle pads were fitted then returning as usual ?

Are these "anti Rattle " pads some newer ones or the same as the ones mentioned above  ?

Not really sure what differences there are with Anti Rattle pads, other than they may have a  rubber type of material layer on the back of the pads.

Are you doing any of the work yourself ? 

Would suggest you try a tube of that Certec mentioned earlier, you want to coat the backs of both pads with it and also the end locating lugs that fit into the carriers.

If you have anti rattle shim fitted,  coat both sides of them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links