Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car cameras

JohnD2

Hi. I'd be interested in members opinions re:-

1.    One camera having front and rear lenses versus having two cameras (windscreen & rear window)

2.    The benefit of the cameras having polarising filters.

3.    Suction cup versus adhesive pad mounting.

4.    Does the 'magic box' in front of the Yaris rear view mirror make it awkward to mount the front facing camera?

37 minutes ago, JohnD2 said:

Hi. I'd be interested in members opinions re:-

1.    One camera having front and rear lenses versus having two cameras (windscreen & rear window)

2.    The benefit of the cameras having polarising filters.

3.    Suction cup versus adhesive pad mounting.

4.    Does the 'magic box' in front of the Yaris rear view mirror make it awkward to mount the front facing camera?

In my opinion that is an easy one,  

1.  Front and rear lenses seems a good idea but the rear facing lens will not have as good a view as a rea camers.

2.  Don't know.

3.  Go adhesive.  A rear mounted sucker mount fails as the heating elements spoil the seal.  Adhesive makes for a smaller and neater fit.

4.  I think the Corolla centre box will have a similar problem.  My dealer fitted the camera high on the passenger's side.

I have tried at least 4 cheap Chinese cameras both with and without screens.  They work but my dealer fitted a Nextbase model.  This records speed and position and can display the footage against a map.  It is still Chinese but you get a better product and better support.  Their higher spec models can have a rear mounted camera option.  My dealer unfortunately didn't 'sell' me that option.  Had I known I would have gone for that model.

Hope that helps.

Moved to the Yaris club.

1. 2 cameras are better

2. it depends on the camera and the price range

3. permanent mount is the way to go but clean the glass with a 95-99% ipa before mounting

4. i have mine located Just below the sensors (depends on the camera tbh, i have an older BlackVue 650)

brand wise i have used Blackvue for many years (not cheap tho) but have fitted a few Nextbase cams for others

Thanks to respondents.  I'd like to add another discussion point. What is the optimum fps setting?

John, fps is related to SD Card size.  A bigger card can record more before it is overwritten or record more fps than a smaller card.  Go high for fps and card size.

The lower end cams do 1080p 30fps pay a bit more and you into 1440p 60fps (5-8mp iirc)

Partial reply .....

2.   Yes, very much so provided you take the trouble to adjust it properly.

3.   Adhesive will be more secure.  I use my suction mount but it does fall off from time to time especially if it’s a hot day.
      My worry was how difficult adhesive mount would be to remove when the time comes.

4.   A little.  The biggest problem is you can’t use the suction mount on the ‘dimpled’ area at the top of the windscreen.

With a dual mode camera you need to mount it far enough to the left so the RV mirror doesn’t obscure the rear facing camera.

This means the ‘box’ isn’t really an issue as you’re forced to go further left anyway.

16 hours ago, Graham47 said:

My worry was how difficult adhesive mount would be to remove when the time comes.

Not much of an issue Graham. I use an old credit/debit card to gently "see-saw" away between the window glass and adhesive pad. I have used, with less success, some nylon fishing line in a similar manner. Wrap it around each hand and saw away like a wire saw.

I have a Blackvue two channel system (front and rear cameras) installed.Not cheap, but really excellent cameras. I use adhesive (that's the only Blackvue option). Easy to install and hard wired via a piggyback fuse (cig lighter fuse) and a dedicated, separate Battery for parking mode. The rear camera is located so that the lens is in the swept area of the wiper. Front camera is virtually hidden behing the rear view mirror and the lens on the car's centreline.

Bvue front resize.jpg

Bvue front 1 resize.jpg

Bvue rear resize.jpg

Bvue rear 1 resize.jpg

• Like 1

I concur with MRJP.  the cameras shown are similar to the ones I have used previously and removing the sticky pads when I sold my car was easy.  Do not expect the pads to be reusable once removed.  

That's where I have mine mounted, one of the reasons I went for Blackvue is its very low profile you can't see it unless you are up close

I have had Roadhawk in the past but it had firmware issues

One thing I don't like, also applies to most other cameras, is the printing on the window side, usually white, which makes the cameras more visible from outside (look what I've got, an expensive camera, help yourself!). Easily rectified by a suitably positioned piece of black insulating tape!