Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help choosing a Yaris - 2012 vs 2017 models

corpjones

Hi All

We have a 2002 Yaris Automatic which has done us well for the past 6 years however at the last service it looks like theres a lot of work needed on the suspension, brakes etc so I'm thinking now is a good time to upgrade to a newer Toyota.

I've looked at NCAP safety ratings and the Yaris does fair pretty well.

Iniitally we were thinking to spent around £6k which should give us the 2011/2012 model of the Yaris, however for around £10k+ it looks like you can get the 2017 model, is the newer one worth the extra money, i.e. is there a big leap in safety or quality?

Also are there any common issues that we need to be careful of or are both models known to be reliable?

Advice appreciated 🙂

Basically the 2012 and 2017 Yaris are the same car, so no overall difference in safety (ie Euro NCAP tests), though there were some changes to the testing in 2016, so comparison with older tests may not be valid.

Two facelifts - 2014 and 2017. The 1.33 engine was replaced with a 1.5 in 2017.

Toyota Safety Sense (a number of safety related driver aids) became available as an option from 2015, and standard on some models from 2017 - https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-safety-sense-features-introduced-for-aygo-and-yaris

Really only you can decide whether the later model is worth it to you over the earlier model.

• Thanks 1

I'd add the suspension was softened (so I'm led to believe) with the 2014 facelift (the one with the downturned grimace to the front).

• Thanks 1

Thank you both, are both models known to be reliable?

Only reason I ask is someone at work has the 2012 or 2013 one I think and he said there are known transmission issues with the Automatic transmission versions of the Yaris, I know he's had a transmission issue but i'm not sure if thats widespread?

At the moment it sounds like theres not much difference between newer and older so anything from 2012 onwards should be fine..

The 2011-2020 Yaris (3rd generation) has a CVT as the auto option, and there have been very few issues reported on these forums with the CVT.

The previous 2nd generation Yaris (2006-2011) had the Multi Mode Transmission (MMT) as the auto option - this was a manual gearbox with automated clutch. The MMT could be problematic and expensive to fix. It was this transmission which didn't have a good reputation.

The only model with a developed version of the MMT (called X-Shift) now in production for Europe is the Aygo.

• Thanks 1

Ah, maybe he had the 2011 as the MMT sounds like something he mentioned, we'll be looking at 2012 onwards so looks like we'll be fine with the CVT 🙂

Now I just need to research trim levels and go from there..

The 1.5 engine is a lot better then the 1.33 but apart from that very similar.

• Thanks 1

Hybrid will be zero tax for date registered before April 2017.  2012 is perfectly fine, get the highest trim level u can like t spirit or excel for the later model. 

2 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

Hybrid will be zero tax for date registered before April 2017. 

Currently it may be zero tax, but there is a review being undertaken so things may change.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links