Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking a Multimode Aygo

kittywanderlust

Hi! I recently purchased a 2012 Toyota Aygo Ice with multimode transmission. I have read the manual and can see that it recommends that you leave it in R or E/M1 when parking and leaving your vehicle. Having been a manual car driver before this, and was always taught to leave them in neutral (when on level ground, obviously it was different on inclines) always leaving this MMT car in gear when parking up feels really uncomfortable.

My question is: does anyone else leave their multimode Aygo in neutral when parked up and if so do they know that this doesn't do any damage to the car?

Also, do you slip into neutral when stopped for a while, say in traffic/lights?

My apologies if this is a question that has been asked many times before. I did have a quick search of the forum but couldn't easily find an answer.

Many thanks :)

HI Cat and welcome to the forum

when sitting at traffic lights for a while always put the car into neutral,

leaving it in drive is the same as having your foot pressed down on the

clutch pedal in a manual as you know this will wear the clutch out prematurely

clutches are in the region of £750 to replace at a toyota dealership

i am sure my partner kath used to leave the car in neutral when parked up

so the car was ready to go when getting back in it.

• Like 1

Thanks eygo Mark, that’s helped put my mind at rest, thank you! 
Cat 

the other issue we found with the mmt was going up the ramps in a multistory car park

we found the car would change from 1st into 2nd or 2nd into 3rd and the car struggled to get

up the ramps we overcome this by knocking the gear selector over into manual this stopped

the car from changing gear and was never an issue again

• Like 1

I've had a mk1 mulitmode, and now two mk2 x shifts. I follow the manual instructions most of the time, and park in E with the handbrake up. The problem, as I found one day when a neighbour left their handbrake off and the manual car was in neutral despite on level ground, it ended up rolling into the front of my previous red mk2 aygo. If they had left the car in gear it wouldn't have rolled.

• Like 1

Thanks Wiz201. I have started to try and get in the habit of parking it in gear, although it still feels odd, but less so by the day! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links