Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

Toyota UK have announced details of the programme to allow the upgrade of existing MM17 Audio units in 2019 Corolla & 2019 Rav4.

A retro fit kit will be available via your local Toyota dealer starting May 2020 and will available to install on all 2019 Corolla Grades and 2019 Rav4 with the exception of the ICON grade, there is no solution available for 2019 Rav4 Icon, 2019 Prius nor 2019 Camry.

Upgrade will cost £120 for Corolla & £150 for Rav4 there will be a reduced cost offer for upgrades completed along with routine servicing price TBC exact details of logistics and technical processes will be given to dealers at the end of Q1 2020.

Toyota have asked dealers to inform owners of both models of the upcoming availability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This is great news. Had an i30 before with AA and it made navigating and music so smooth.  Do you have a source for the info please?

29 minutes ago, Drippydave said:

This is great news. Had an i30 before with AA and it made navigating and music so smooth.  Do you have a source for the info please?

Devonaygo works for a Toyota dealer...

• Like 1

About time have been waiting on this for a very very very long time 

22 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

A retro fit kit will be available via your local Toyota dealer starting May 2020

59 minutes ago, scotslad469 said:

About time have been waiting on this for a very very very long time 

Bear in mind there is still a further six months before the kits are available ....

• Like 1

At least it’s something other markets have got the upgrade and the UK has been left behind

Presumably other European markets have a similar time frame.

Looks like the retrofit kit will comprise of a harness and module.

May seems a long way off. Thought jan or feb if they have the kit 

Found this regarding the auz update

Toyota Australia has finally rolled out its Apple CarPlay and Android Auto retrofit program, along with announcing the standard fitment of the smartphone mirroring systems across its new-generation model lines.

From November 1, existing owners of the Camry, Corolla, Granvia, HiAce, Prius and RAV4 will be able to upgrade their vehicles' infotainment systems – costing $199 for CamryCorolla and Prius, while GranviaHiAce and RAV4 retrofits will be free of charge.

The facelifted C-HR and all-new Corolla sedan will arrive before the end of the year with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard, too.

"By offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility in our vehicles, we are continuing to refine our market offerings and provide our customers with the products and services that enhance their lives," said Sean Hanley, vice president for sales and marketing at Toyota Australia.

"The technology will allow our customers to stay informed, entertained and in touch with the wider world from behind the wheel, directly through the vehicles."

Toyota's retrofit program follows a similar move by rival Japanese automaker, Mazda, whose Apple CarPlay and Android Auto upgrade for all vehicles fitted with MZD Connect infotainment systems (dating back to as early as 2014) costing $495 – including a hub module and harness to upgrade the hardware required.

Luxury arm Lexus is also expected to announce a similar program in the coming months, following the debut of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility in the facelifted RX crossover and ES F-Sport

Australia uses the same multimedia system as the US, rather than the system used for Europe, so the details may differ. Equivalent to around £104.

From toyota uk

Toyota Customer Relations ref: CASE1210238

Hello Michael,

Thank you for getting contact with us. 

I am very excited to confirm that we have made official a retrofit program for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - more importantly your vehicle is compatible and part of the program. This is scheduled to take place in May 2020, we have two options available for having this update carried out; the first is with a service which will come at a reduce cost of £50 (inc VAT), and the second option is a stand alone price of £120 (inc VAT). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2019 at 5:52 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota UK have announced details of the programme to allow the upgrade of existing MM17 Audio units in 2019 Corolla & 2019 Rav4.

A retro fit kit will be available via your local Toyota dealer starting May 2020 and will available to install on all 2019 Corolla Grades and 2019 Rav4 with the exception of the ICON grade, there is no solution available for 2019 Rav4 Icon, 2019 Prius nor 2019 Camry.

Upgrade will cost £120 for Corolla & £150 for Rav4 there will be a reduced cost offer for upgrades completed along with routine servicing price TBC exact details of logistics and technical processes will be given to dealers at the end of Q1 2020.

Toyota have asked dealers to inform owners of both models of the upcoming availability.

I don't know much about Android Auto, would this replace the current navigation software with Google's, or would it simply be additive to the existing software (i.e. just function as an Application, rather than a replacement).

If I understand it correctly, it's an add-on alternative . If you're in the car without the appropriate phone connected (which may be wired or wireless) the installed infotainemt will work as usual, connect the phone and you have to use it's (carplay / auto) interface. I stand to be corrected though, as I've only seen Apple Carplay used a couple of times.

• Like 1

Following on from the previous comment, I wonder how the Carplay / Auto connection will be made to the car? I'm hoping it'll be a wireless connection, and not via the USB socket on the centre console.

As a user of Android Auto in my previous car it requires a USB connection and allows you to use Android apps including Google Maps, Spotify, Messenger and other streaming podcast apps.

16 hours ago, rafletcher said:

Following on from the previous comment, I wonder how the Carplay / Auto connection will be made to the car? I'm hoping it'll be a wireless connection, and not via the USB socket on the centre console.

It will be wired.

Hurray! 🙂

The question will be what if the service falls a few months before the AA upgrade is out, will they try their luck and charge the full £120 or allow you to prepay the £50 and get the car booked in at a later day.

Anyway great news!

I predict my first service will be around may so maybe I'll be lucky... If not I'll just pay the cost to upgrade whether that's before or after.
Although I do have a service plan so I'm not sure how that will work.

We will see, but I imagine the £50 charge would be because the car is in for a service already so the update can be happening while the car is being checked, rather than have a seperate appointment just to do the update. To update on it's own outside of the service time, adds labour cost.

• Like 1

I know you guys have all been anxiously awaiting this update but it's interesting to note it's not just Toyota taking its time over this. I caught sight of this article a couple of days ago about BMW announcing the introduction of AA to their range in 2020. No mention of retro-fitting, though! Link

Having read about the option here over the last couple of weeks I don't think I'll be updating myself as I don't use my smartphone for any of the functions shown and have a limited data service plan anyway. I don't do a huge amount of mileage these days and am quite happy with the in-built SatNav. If the update was free then maybe... but 50 quid? Nah, don't think so!

I'm not interested either. The built-in satnav is adequate and I'd have to sort something out with my iPlayer. That's already plugged in as a music source and Toyota didn't see fit to provide any other data sockets. I can buy a USB hub but that means wires starting to spread all over the place especially if I have to connect it to the centre power socket.

This is fantastic news...

At long last, proper google maps with real time traffic information!  Hopefully better Spotify integration too.

Roll on July for my first service!

I also am happy with the built in system, but will probably go for the upgrade anyway, as £50 is not bad, and keeps the car up to date. And the 2020 Corolla has these improvements at an increased sales price, so £50 (if that is the price) is not a bad investment. With so much advancement in technology, I don't think it will be long before the 2019 Corolla is "left behind". Something I didn't worry about with my last car, but the Corolla is more computer than car, and trying to keep it updated makes it more "saleable" if I decide to move on in future. I see heads up display is now available in 2020 Corolla, something the USA already had last year.

• Like 1