Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

To be honest, I fear the update never comes. The longer the time, chance of update gets smaller every day. 

It's not rocket science. Suddently the first Corollas pass 1,5 years, all new cars has it by default, so why bother? 

In that case if bought my last Toyota. Buy your car, just wait 4-5 months until april... No wait, June... No wait, July... No wait, october...!! Come on!!! 

During the Corona crises, the last 2019 models have been sold at reduced prices. To keep business going. Poor owners, if they risks getting stuck with a car that's outdated from day 1. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's on their priority list.

Rang the Toyota dealer today to book in for the first major service on my 2019 Corolla icon tech

I asked if I could have the media updated for the Apple play and Android auto.

Yes no problem. Booked in on the 10th so will let you know how I get on and post some pics unless someone is having it done prior

Do they do the hybrid check on the major service

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

Do they do the hybrid check on the major service

The hybrid electric service is carried out at every service.

thanks, is the media upgrade just software or software and hardware

3 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

thanks, is the media upgrade just software or software and hardware

No one at dealer level knows yet the upgrade has been pushed back until later this year

11 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

No one at dealer level knows yet the upgrade has been pushed back until later this year

Will this update ever get done. It was all in place to be carried out in may. I understand we have covid19 but why has that set it back to later in the year. 

Just seems excuse after excuse

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

Will this update ever get done. It was all in place to be carried out in may. I understand we have covid19 but why has that set it back to later in the year. 

Just seems excuse after excuse

I guess for the answer, you need to talk to Toyota. But, from some project manager experience, when you have a major software or hardware release, you have critical milestones that must be signed off at each stage. Testing, testing, testing. 

I imagine the Pandemic would delay the whole project, and milestones will not have been met.

It is better to delay the project and reset the dates, than roll out an untested release, which would be infinitely harder to fix, than wait and release a fully tested product. 

The fact it is delayed, is more a comfort than a frustration, because it shows Toyota care about quality.

That is my take on it, but Toyota would be the only team that can explain fully. 

18 hours ago, Timmon said:

I guess for the answer, you need to talk to Toyota. But, from some project manager experience, when you have a major software or hardware release, you have critical milestones that must be signed off at each stage. Testing, testing, testing. 

I imagine the Pandemic would delay the whole project, and milestones will not have been met.

It is better to delay the project and reset the dates, than roll out an untested release, which would be infinitely harder to fix, than wait and release a fully tested product. 

The fact it is delayed, is more a comfort than a frustration, because it shows Toyota care about quality.

That is my take on it, but Toyota would be the only team that can explain fully. 

A technology used for nearly 6 years is carplay and android auto. what kind of technology can be tested so much. a simple phone connection tool only.

• Like 1

Best to keep your expectations in check. It will probably either never come or be out in a few years. You need to consider that the fact they failed to have it as standard at the launch of a 2019 car model a good indicator of their in car entertainment priority and planning. At the end of the 2010's they have a model with early to mid 2010's in car entertainment system. Lack of USB ports and no USB Type C again demonstrates them being stuck in the past.

Great car let down by poor software and technology planning inside!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chattacks said:

Best to keep your expectations in check. It will probably either never come or be out in a few years. You need to consider that the fact they failed to have it as standard at the launch of a 2019 car model a good indicator of their in car entertainment priority and planning. At the end of the 2010's they have a model with early to mid 2010's in car entertainment system. Lack of USB ports and no USB Type C again demonstrates them being stuck in the past.

Damn that's a little harsh. But you are right, compared to the new golf the corolla is too far behind. Toyota really needs to up their game in terms of technology, make nice user interfaces, more functionality, graphics that are nice to look at and are easy to read. These are some of the things that VW has done very well and has set the standard for the rest of the industry. The corolla is already a great car with nice handling and a comfortable ride, if toyota can make these changes in the technology department they will easily compete with the golf in that regard. Best reliability, great handiling, best fuel consumtion in the segment(if you go with the hybrid) and a car packed with technology, what more can you ask?

• Like 1

Having just changed from 2017 Passat,which had all the fancy digital displays,to a 2020 Corolla I can’t understand the level of criticism. Alright the graphics are a bit old but the system itself works just as well. The radio works, music plays and the satnav gets me to where’re I want it to. The satnav is just as easy to use and you can get all the google stuff, which was removed from my Passat after 3 years, not be replaced. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian.S said:

Having just changed from 2017 Passat,which had all the fancy digital displays,to a 2020 Corolla I can’t understand the level of criticism. Alright the graphics are a bit old but the system itself works just as well. The radio works, music plays and the satnav gets me to where’re I want it to. The satnav is just as easy to use and you can get all the google stuff, which was removed from my Passat after 3 years, not be replaced. 

It's just nice to look at, obviously this is subjective but i personally like technology. I like having the pretty menus and everything. This obviously mostly eye candy and doesn't really give any more functionality but still it'd be nice to have. 

14 hours ago, King Crimson said:

It's just nice to look at, obviously this is subjective but i personally like technology. I like having the pretty menus and everything. This obviously mostly eye candy and doesn't really give any more functionality but still it'd be nice to have. 

Fair enough. 

On 6/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, marsk35 said:

A technology used for nearly 6 years is carplay and android auto. what kind of technology can be tested so much. a simple phone connection tool only.

2019 Corolla does not have Car Play and Android Auto installed, it is an upgrade. Upgrades need testing. Nothing to do with the current existence of Android Auto and Carplay. You are adding it to a system that was released without them. Always much harder to achieve.

No idea why Toyota made it so hard for themselves, it would have been better to have released the Corolla with these installed, rather than upgrade old hardware.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, Chattacks said:

Completely agree.

Just look for example new octavia/leon/g8... Skoda even has usb-c outlet near the rear view mirror for Dashcam. And their dash display (honestly, toyotas dash is garbage compared to others) and infotainment screen is waaaaaay nicer then ours. And here we are, debating whether we will get technology from 2014 in our cars. Small details are what makes a big difference in user experience.  Honestly, if it wasnt for the hybrid drivetrain i wouldn`t even look at this car.

And i am totally convinced that such details were a factor while selecting new car, for many.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Timmon said:

2019 Corolla does not have Car Play and Android Auto installed, it is an upgrade. Upgrades need testing. Nothing to do with the current existence of Android Auto and Carplay. You are adding it to a system that was released without them. Always much harder to achieve.

No idea why Toyota made it so hard for themselves, it would have been better to have released the Corolla with these installed, rather than upgrade old hardware.

I agree on the point of having it installed rather than using older hardware. Thats what I was trying to say. They've rectified it for 2020 and beyond but for year 1 of a new model sort of screwed the owners. Yes we knew what we were getting but weird decision on their part for year 1 vs going forward. Being cynical it might be so people stay on PCP get a newer model with it in....I plan on keeping the car at least 9 more years (or as long as I can before electrification is mainstream) So missing this function is particularly painful....

• Like 3

Looking at Toyota UK Sales Report they sold around 15.5K Corollas in 2019. Looking at the Toyota worldwide sales for 2019 (which was 10.7 Million), the Burnaston factory made 147 thousand vehicles.

Out of those 147 thousand sales, how many people actually know what AA or CarPlay is? And how many of those purchased the car because it was promised as a retro upgrade?

The vehicle has been out a year and who knows how long in design and testing, the 'E' store is still empty. I've seen people on youtube build quality apps in a day for all sorts of platforms. So I'm not holding my breath with this vehicle, especially now the newer model has it as standard.

• Like 2

My dealer in Estonia told me today that right now it's postponed until September 2020. 

Regarding the possibility to use Carplay and Android Auto in cars, I got to admit, my 2015 Škoda had it and I got used to plugging it in all the time, but when I switched back to Volvo in the end of 2016 I must admit I didn't really miss the Carplay and 2010-2018 Volvo V60 infontaiment was much more basic than that of current Toyotas. It was rather comfortable to keep the phone in my pocket and just stream music over BT. 

Now however I have started to miss the opportunity to use Waze on my car display because when I had Škoda, Waze was not available for Carplay.

• Like 2

Due for a service soon, and dealers are have been informed by Toyota that AA/AC are pushed back until October/November time. But one dealership near my place told me that thay have the update already not really sure about that. 

anyway is there any other software update available for the the infotainment at the moment like the AUdio display unit? And what does the upgrade for?

thanks

1 hour ago, Auris2010 said:

Due for a service soon, and dealers are have been informed by Toyota that AA/AC are pushed back until October/November time. But one dealership near my place told me that thay have the update already not really sure about that. 

anyway is there any other software update available for the the infotainment at the moment like the AUdio display unit? And what does the upgrade for?

thanks

AA/CP has been delayed until October and no dealers have these yet, there are updates for the display, nav/media unit and maps for bug fixes 

20 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

AA/CP has been delayed until October and no dealers have these yet, there are updates for the display, nav/media unit and maps for bug fixes 

Can you tell me: are these sorts of regular software updates (not the AA/CP one) automatically applied when dealers service a car or do you have to ask for them? I'm hoping I can take my Corolla for its first annual service sometime soon - if I can get an appointment that is!

Cheers.

Dropped Corolla off for a service today and service manager advised me that the carplay and Android auto had been pushed back to the Q4

What I do find strange is up to march they were going to upgrade the system in 2 months in may

So they must have had all the equipment in place to do the upgrade. 

Now I can understand we have covid19 and the dealers have only just reopened. So why isn't the update 2 months from now in August for the update

Maybe they are just wanting to do servicing and repairs to catch up with lost revenue whilst they were closed

Looks like all corollas including the icon will now be getting the upgrade

20200610_085818.thumb.jpg.ebad50eefc2686555891b110adc22c94.jpg

• Thanks 2

Last time I spoke with my dealer, they said upgrading of Lexus with AA/CP have started, but they had many issues and not a single car successfully upgraded.

So maybe they have technical/software issues with the upgrade, not only the covid19 and therefore the longer delay.

That`s really a joke. If they would open the source code for this excuse of an "entertainment system" i am sure that we would have a solution last year already...

I am really curious how that ukrainian guy managed to flash the firmware to this unit.

Anyone found an alternative headunit from a reputable manufacturer that will fit in our cars?

• Like 2