Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

Yes, there seems to be more problems as well. That's why I do not like it. I would not like to mess with cars other settings...

Yea i'm seriously thinking of perhaps not doing the update myself. I don't have navigation so it's propably a safe install but i'd rather wait for 2-3 more weeks and have my dealer do the update.

I might do the update with my non nav Corolla, but I need to read into it a bit. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, Rivorian said:

Yeah, I translated the link in Google Chrome and read posts Yesterday, so there was 3 things I noted:

1) There's one guy who was unfortunately able to somehow brick the device or at least that's what he says and Dealership made an offer for 2000 EUR + VAT.

2) Then there's many cases where the 3rd USB update is not successful so they get a RED screen with information saying "change of the device may be required" or something which in mentioned cases was solved with restarting of the car. Everything was as it was before inserting USB3 - new software but no Carplay support. 

3) Then there's case when 3rd USB seems to work, but after a while gets stuck with nothing happening. Restarting of the car works and everything is as it was before, but if tried again the same happens..

So as I understood, USB 1 prepares the system for the progress. USB 2 updates the Multimedia software (with fixing the Home menu view stuck in north). USB 3 adds carplay and android auto... Simplified. 🙂

So until there's 100% confirmed progress, I am not OK in my head to risk bricking it right now. Especially as the update could be available in few weeks. I would feel dumb in 2 weeks if i'd brick the device, pay 2000 EUR + VAT because I wanted carplay and now it would be available at the dealership with no risks for me.

I had the second one . then third one . Please Help me out with this . Im stuck. the version of device is dcu 17dbt2euda02 and sound 1020

8 minutes ago, brkekc said:

I had the second one . then third one . Please Help me out with this . Im stuck. the version of device is dcu 17dbt2euda02 and sound 1020

Are You stuck with the final note saying "completed" and nothing is happening? I understood that from that point it's ok to just shut the car down, remove the USB and start the car again.

By the way, the Spanish forum thread has now been removed.

3 minutes ago, Rivorian said:

Are You stuck with the final note saying "completed" and nothing is happening? I understood that from that point it's ok to just shut the car down, remove the USB and start the car again.

By the way, the Spanish forum thread has now been removed.

Thats i did  exactly . but nothing . when i put the usb its makes the same thing over and over.

I didn't know there is a programme to allow the upgrade of existing MM17 Audio units in 2019 Corolla & 2019 Rav4. I already sold mine, too bad.

Ok. From what I understood that You need to shut the car completely down - like totally OFF. Only then remove the USB and then start up without the USB in it.

From what I also understood is that it's common problem and currently no success from that point on to get the Carplay and Android Auto working.

I do not risk to make the update yet...

May I ask did You make the format in Windows to FAT32? Someone suggested in the Italian forum that it might be the problem when the format is made on Mac computers into MS-DOS (FAT) or whatever.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, Rivorian said:

Ok. From what I understood that You need to shut the car completely down - like totally OFF. Only then remove the USB and then start up without the USB in it.

From what I also understood is that it's common problem.

May I ask did You make the format in Windows to FAT32?

its fat32 yes. and i did like 3 times , its just updated the version of sound i guess which is 1020. 17DBT2EUDA02 is same 

😕 ok, well there doesn't seem to be any workaround from that right now and this is mainly what keeps me from updating my device. I do not want to risk it.

Yeah me too, i was excited at first when i saw this post at work but when i got home and looked at the spanish forum and the issues that some people had i decided not to do it. It's going to be released to dealers in a couple weeks anyway so definetly not worth the risk. 

Having done it, and done it successfully some of the issues you read about are people messing it up most likely....

Its very clear when doing it the car says to you not to turn it off, or unplug the USB it will brick. Until its finished and tells you its finished you wait. Its very easy I guess for the inpatients to think nothing is happening or its frozen and turn off the power/engine or unplug it. Some will chance it  (I did) others will be cautious and thats understandable too. 

• Like 2

I complete agree. The dealership is will just follow the same steps.

However, I do encourage people without knowledge not to try it. Since during the upgrade a lot of warnings messages were appearing saying that turning off the car might brick the system.

People who will try the procedure, please be patient, the update takes time and the device will restart multiple times ( I think mine restarted 7++ times).

After a day of tests I can confirm that the system works fine without any issues so far.

• Like 4

I completed the update 2 hours ago and it was very straightforward. I downloaded the USB 3 link (since I don’t have nav), extracted the files and copied the extracted files to my USB memory (Sandisk 32GB, already FAT32 from factory). Plugged in the USB memory and started the car, it started the download. I think it restarted about 8 times and after 40 minutes I got the blue screen. It said “Take out the device and turn off and on the car”. Said and done, I was one Apple CarPlay interface richer! 😄

E0F39907-CA2F-4DC0-97F6-624EA217D20C.jpeg

It is vital that one does not take out the device or turn the car of until the blue screen appears, other wise you’ll be bricked. New parts are required if that happens according to warnings within the download process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After updating, my multimedia screen stays in night mode even during the day. If the sun comes to the full sensor, it switches to day mode, otherwise I wonder how can I solve this problem in night mode.

If I stand in a shady place, it immediately switches to night mode.
I looked at the light sensitivity set to 0 and the same things happen as +2 -2

DCU 069.(REPRO) Vup completed. I see this bottom of the screen then nothing moving even after 1 hour of waiting . I tried with usb 3.0 and 2.0 either 

I'm exactly in the same point. During first attempt I received after 10 minutes Red Screen with some message about files on USB. Second Attempt: There is message DCU 069.(REPRO) Vup completed on down right side. On left side is "Updating Main ..." and nothing moving more than hour. USB is 3.0, of course FAT32, but unzipped on MAC (I don't have any windows), but I don't believe there is difference between MAC an WIN unpacking. 

Hello,

So I as well gave up waiting and tried this retrofit(having free time is terrible). 🙂

Yesterday I was in the same position as You. Software was updated (north view fixed, newer audio number etc), but no Carplay. I also prepared files on MAC choosing MS-DOS (FAT) believing it would not make much difference - because map updates have been OK before as well.

So today morning there was some news that a Polish club member had found a solution here:

!!! Translated with Google !!!

Okay, I made it despite the error while updating USB3. Below is a short tutorial on how I did it, for everyone who also has this problem:

• If the update was unsuccessful and you see a failure message that threatens to replace the radio, remove the pendrive from the radio
  • Hold the on / off button (volume knob) to reset the device
  • The device will return to the same screen. Wait for half of the screen to turn green and hold the on / off button again to reset it again and go back to your normal home screen
  • Open the USB3 flash drive on your computer and delete the phaseup.dat file from it
  • Insert the flash drive into the car and perform the update again
  • When you see a blue screen saying success, turn the ignition switch off and on
  • Go to Settings> General> Software Update
  • You should be able to see the Audio 1011 version
  • Click "Model Information" and remember the DCU Part Number
  • Open the USB3 flash drive on the computer, enter VehicleParameter, DCU and the folder corresponding to the number from the previous step
  • In the DCU / FactoryID folder, you will find the env_pana.txt file. Open it up
  • Find the line starting with "VP_PANA_model_ID" and write down the model
  • Go back to the root directory on the pendrive and delete the file corresponding to your current DCU model, remembering its name
  • Rename the file with the model name found in the file two steps above to the name of the file you just deleted
  • Connect the flash drive to the car, wait for the update to complete

During the process, the system language reset to English for me, the DCU version of course has not changed, but Carplay works :)

So, what I did: 

1. formated the 32GB Sandisk USB to FAT32 on Windows;
  2. loaded all the USB 3 files to above prepared USB
  3. deleted "phaseup.dat" file from the root of the USB 3.
  4. inserted USB stick into the car and started the car
  5. the UPDATE begun and I waited until the blue screen said "successful" 
  6. shut the car down, removed USB and started car up
  7. checked under Settings -> General -> Software update
  8. did not have Audio 1011 but 1020, but went on and checked Model Information and added a note of DCU model number and DCU Part numbers (in my case 86140-02740)
  9. inserted the same USB back into the computer and from the root went to following folders: "VehicleParameter -> DCU -> and looked for the DCU Part number I noted down before (so in my case 86140-02740. Then from there I went as follows: DCU -> FactoryID -> and opened "env_pana.txt" file. 
  10. in the env_pana.txt file search for the line "VP_PANA_model_ID=" and note down the following model number (in my case 17TDT2EU-DA30)
  11. then go back to the root directory of the USB and delete the file corresponding to your CURRENT DCU model number, in my case 17TDT2EU-DA02 so I deleted file 17TDT2EU-DA02_7910.kwi BUT remembered (copied to notes/notepad) the file name.
  12. I then looked for the file consisting of 17TDT2EU-DA30 which in my case is 17TDT2EU-DA30_7910.kwi and renamed it into 17TDT2EU-DA02_7910.kwi
  13. After this is done, I shut down the car, inserted USB, started car up and let it finish the installation.

There's many success stories now to this problem as well, but mine ended with no Carplay function when pressing SETUP menu. I thought well it's yet another fail UNTIL I plugged in my phone - and voila, the car offered me CARPLAY.

I have only small issue now - the CARPLAY option can be seen under AUDIO, but not under SETUP. When I use Carplay and press SETUP the menu is overlayed over Carplay and not accessible. To work around this I have to press HOME and then setup.

Small bug but I think if I do not find a solution to this I will ask for the dealership to check and fix it for me. 😄

I am glad I can FINALLY use the carplay and the car feels like new now as well..

36139691-336B-4B2E-BAFA-4C8AD7DFCF98.jpeg

ABD05ED6-ED45-438E-AC85-D8C70F4ADF9C.jpeg

92F3C119-6D6D-4B55-B0FA-02ACA0F3A27C.jpeg

13D612E5-6033-4DC3-A23B-C45518A9B535.jpeg

17F2E6F7-D846-46E5-97A2-340B72F40E01.jpeg

• Like 3

Happy to hear it worked out in the end! I’ve had the update for almost 2 days and I’m happy to report that everything works. No issues with MyT or screen brightness (day/night). It feels great to finally have maps on the MM screen rather then on my iPhone on a holder. My car is reborn! 😅

• Like 1

Thanks Rivorian...it partially helped! I did all steps as you, system is now updated (version 1023), so I restore language option, but I don't have CarPlay option 🙂 tried with Xs and SE2020 phone...

52 minutes ago, Michal Henych said:

Thanks Rivorian...it partially helped! I did all steps as you, system is now updated (version 1023), so I restore language option, but I don't have CarPlay option 🙂 tried with Xs and SE2020 phone...

Hmm ok, I did try this once more with adding the “phaseup.dat” back to this already changed USB 3 so maybe that made it bring the option? It got stuck to the same place at the end "VUP completed"...

Damn i'm getting to temted to do the update now 😂 i don't have navigation so i'm propably safe but i don't want to break anything

22 minutes ago, King Crimson said:

Damn i'm getting to temted to do the update now 😂 i don't have navigation so i'm propably safe but i don't want to break anything

I think You are 99,9% safe, just follow the steps, because all I can read is "successful, no navigation" from these forums. 😄

Anyone with 17DT2EU-DA02 and successful update? My car was delivered in September 2019. Would be helpful to post also your Model ID and see if it worked or not. 

BTW, does this update break car the guarantee ? Or only the head unit guarantee?

7 minutes ago, desire86 said:

Anyone with 17DT2EU-DA02 and successful update? My car was delivered in September 2019. Would be helpful to post also your Model ID and see if it worked or not. 

BTW, does this update break car the guarantee ? Or only the head unit guarantee?

Mine! 
See pics for before and after DCU numbers. This is basically a infotainment unit update, except it’s not done at the dealer. I can’t see how this would void any warranty. 

F118EE63-1000-4861-B4C3-D470E3544341.jpeg

3737DB11-5434-4B8A-A2EE-2426B28EDC6C.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links