Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

11 minutes ago, Kingo said:

Which dealer is that?

Any.............

I've booked in a service for the 9th October for my corolla Hybrid 2019. Its 20k service. I asked 2 dealers in regards to Android Auto and they have no idea its coming out on the 12th October. 1 said November sometime. I even called the head office in Surrey I believe and they advised me to talk to the actual dealers. 

Spoke to:

Battersea Toyota service centre

Hills of Woodford

11 hours ago, Mitsos_Hybrid said:

After sending 2 emails to my dealer and had no response, I send another one to the seller who responded after 30 minutes!

Toyota Hellas is going to send as a letter in order to inform us that the update is available.

Letter in 2020..... anyway that is good news.

Which dealer did you contact? 

In Chalkis they told me, that they have no clue yet about the update. 

I have just tried to book my Corolla TS in for Apple car play at my local Jemca dealer and they say it’s not available yet I thought it was available from May does anyone have any update on this

regards bairstow 1946

Topics merged - dealer are beginning to receive the updates now

On 9/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, Vasilis said:

Which dealer did you contact? 

In Chalkis they told me, that they have no clue yet about the update. 

Toyota Polis in Thessaloniki. This is the reply.

GOOD MORNING Mr. A ....

From what the crew told me, a letter is coming from Toyota to upgrade the infotainment.

So first wait for the letter from Toyota hellas.

Mod edit: please post in English as the majority of members are UK based.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mitsos_Hybrid said:

Toyota Polis in Thessaloniki

Thanks for the reply. 

Please update the topic if you have any news from the dealer. 

• Like 1

I was at my dealer today for the update.

Unfortunately, it appears that cars manufactured in the first half of 2019 need to have microphone replaced in order to update. And they still don't have that part delivered...

But there are already other customers that have already upgraded with AA/CarPlay at this dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it appeared that the dealer made a mistake and the microphone replacement is for RAV4.

Finally I have CarPlay and they installed it free of charge as promised.

325ED438-7BA0-4588-B5FB-35254078EC0F.jpeg

6176EA6E-0492-4E19-B993-686E1707A662.jpeg

• Like 6

Oxygen, what mapping are you displaying there?  Is it Waze?  I would appreciate user impressions such as what it gives you.

Yes, this is Waze.

I prefer it because of the large numbers of users that report in real time traffic, accidents, hidden police and cameras and so on.

I like also the displayed speed limit.

If I have to compare it (or any navigation app in CarPlay/AA), I would prefer the built in Toyota navigation. Main reason is the integration with HUD and the screen in front of the wheel. You don’t have this with any other.

But where I live, Toyota navigation does not support traffic so route calculations with it are always incorrect...

• Like 3

O2, thank you, one strike against AA then 🙂  I need to check how Toyota handles traffic issues as with the pandemic my driving has been very limited.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

Yes, this is Waze.

I prefer it because of the large numbers of users that report in real time traffic, accidents, hidden police and cameras and so on.

I like also the displayed speed limit.

If I have to compare it (or any navigation app in CarPlay/AA), I would prefer the built in Toyota navigation. Main reason is the integration with HUD and the screen in front of the wheel. You don’t have this with any other.

But where I live, Toyota navigation does not support traffic so route calculations with it are always incorrect...

Can you play Spotify over Waze like on the phone?

And have you tried to use an usb hub or splitter and wire both the phone and a pendrive with music?

No hubs or splitters work with AA/CarPlay.

But if you have Spotify on your phone, it will appear as app (icon) in the AA/CarPlay home screen. And you can switch between apps there with no issues like on any pc. Spotify will play background and you will look at Waze on screen. Or Waze will work background and give you audible guidance and you look Spotify screen.

• Thanks 1

I had it installed last week (Android Auto). Some things are better, some things are worse. I end up using a mix of the Toyota system and the AA system.

If the phone is not plugged in, the system works exactly as pre-install. Phone connects automatically to bluetooth, USB song files can be played.

Using the phone when plugged in: if AA is operating on screen, hitting the phone button on your steering wheel brings up phone menu on the big screen. You then have to select favourites etc using the touch screen. If the AA screen is operating, you can't use the pop up dash screen (behind the steering wheel). However, if you hit the home button on the console, which shows you the  default Toyota map, you then get the "behind the steering wheel" display for calling. I prefer this, as I can select a favourite or call history quickly without having to navigate the big screen.

Hitting the voice assist button on the steering wheel: momentary touch activates the Toyota system as usual. Holding for a few seconds activates Google assistant.

Google assistant is not great with Spotify - pick a song, album artist etc. Not as good as the Toyota system when you have a USB stick plugged in, and can say "play album Houses of the Holy." Etc. 

Maps are much better on AA. Prefer Waze to others, as it shows speed limits. No lane assist yet with Waze, but apparently coming.

When AA is activated by plugging in phone, AA can be selected as an audio source by hitting the audio button. Sound settings can be changed (treble, bass etc). You can select another audio source like FM while AA is running a map on the screen.

Limited number of useful apps currently available!

Google voice assist was VERY loud, and I couldn't work out how to turn it down. Turns out it's NOT a setting in AA. It's actually linked to the Toyota system's voice guidance, so when you find and adjust that, it also adjusts Google voice assist on AA.

The AA Spotify app isn't super great. If you're using a USB stick you can select an artist, and it will show you albums by that artist. It's quite logical. The Spotify app on Android Auto is very illogical. You can select a saved artist, but it then just plays the albums you've saved of that artist from the first song on the first album - doesn't give you a list of albums to choose from. In the saved albums, it's likewise clumsy to navigate. You have to select a "letter" to find an album title. All while driving!

So for me, it will be a mix of both. I'm likely to revert to bluetooth phone and USB drive full of music for long road trips, and AA for around town, needing to find places, shuffling a bit of Spotify.

Worth noting - if you're not running Android Auto, and are connected via bluetooth, holding the phone button for 3 seconds on your steering wheel will activate Google assistant, so you ask "how long to get home" or "text the wife", even without having Android Auto running, or even installed.

Cheers, John.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

John NZ, thank you for that review.  I think the technical description would be Clunky.  As I am not that interested in using Spotify or Amazon music that is not a positive benefit.  I will have a look at using a USB dongle for music see how that works.  I would certainly prefer a different mapping system as TomTom, which I believe is the Toyota base, is not my favourite. 

Toyota picks up our speed signs and displays speed limits so that is not a problem.  I miss the speed warnings I had in my previous car using a Garmin satnav but I have a POI Speed Pilot which has an independent speed cam data base and gives audio and visual warnings.  It is good for giving accurate speeds too.  It has a good standalone Battery life too.

I think for the moment I shall wait and see.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware Toyota uses Here maps for the Touch 2.

Frosty, my error;, I think my salesman had said Tomtom and I forgot this from Toyota "Our mapping provider has not changed as we are still receiving our mapping data from Here.com."

I also forgot I had contacted Here about Toyota's own mapping issue, that is Toyota's mapping used in MyToyota app rather than the mapping in the 2020v1 in the car.  Toyota customer services could not understand that it is their map is out of date as opposed to the map available in the cars.

I did the update over a month ago and I love it, haven't used the Toyota system once since. I use Waze for traffic information and Apple music + Spotify daily, the update has really made me appreciate my car even more. 

• Like 3

In Romania it's still not official yet, but, after pressuring my local dealer/Toyota Romania with a few emails complaining about the slowness with which they are handling this whole state of affairs, the local dealer called me today and I made an appointment one week from now, October 14. Unfortunately, contrary to what they said when I bought the car, they will charge about €50 (€41, to be more precise) for the "one-hour labour cost" associated with the retrofit. When I bought it, they promised "free-of-charge CarPlay update." Toyota Corolla TS 2019, no navigation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just had my 20k service today. Asked about car play they said it looks like end of November but they are not 100% sure yet.

Got the retrofit update this morning and it works great. Official by my Toyota dealer.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 11:22 AM, Mitsos_Hybrid said:

GOOD MORNING Mr. A ....

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if this update came and for older cars like corolla sedan 2017? with Toyota touch systems 13TFDAEU-DA07

Thanks in advance