Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

4 minutes ago, PanosSkouras said:

I would like to know if this update came and for older cars like corolla sedan 2017? with Toyota touch systems 13TFDAEU-DA07

No.

In order to receive the AA/CarPlay, our headunits get update too. I can see some old issues fixed, but there are new ones introduced...

New problems (found so far):

1. When I first plugged my phone, it asked if I want to connect CarPlay once or always. But obviously this is not working, as I am very frequently receiving the same popup, and even I always select to allow it always, it comes back next time I start the car and connect the phone.

2. Toyota online services are not activated automatically and car does not connect to internet over bluetooth from phone on every start as before. Now when I try to check traffic, parking places or fuel prices, it says that I am not connected. The worst thing is that I can get message if I want to connect only on weather forecast. So for example if I want to check cheapest gas station nearby, first I need to open weather, on popup to connect select yes, wait a long time to show the weather, then go back and check the gas prices...

3. The message to hold back the wheel when adaptive cruise is used with active lane assist is muted. Before, there was a sound notification when you are required to hold the wheel, now only icon on the dash. The only sound is at the end, when the system is deactivated and the car already may be leaving lane with no corrections anymore.

4. When AA/CarPlay is connected, audio directly switches to music inside AA/CarPlay. But maybe I want only navigation and continue listening to the radio...

5. After disconnecting AA/CarPlay audio is always off instead of just going back to radio or whatever was playing before AA/CarPlay. 

6. I was not able to find anywhere a setting for voice volume of Google Maps/Waze audio navigation guidance. And it is really loud.

7. By default when you press phone button on steering wheel, phone app on the center console opens instead of the phone in digital cluster. Yes, you can change it deep into settings, but who would want the new behavior that requires you to move you sight from road and the need to move hand from wheel and interact with the screen...?

• Like 1

these are not just some small problems 🧐...

20 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

1. When I first plugged my phone, it asked if I want to connect CarPlay once or always. But obviously this is not working, as I am very frequently receiving the same popup, and even I always select to allow it always, it comes back next time I start the car and connect the phone.

Have you tried removing the car from your phone and reconnecting from scratch? 

2. Toyota online services are not activated automatically and car does not connect to internet over Bluetooth from phone on every start as before. Now when I try to check traffic, parking places or fuel prices, it says that I am not connected. The worst thing is that I can get message if I want to connect only on weather forecast. So for example if I want to check cheapest gas station nearby, first I need to open weather, on popup to connect select yes, wait a long time to show the weather, then go back and check the gas prices...

3. The message to hold back the wheel when adaptive cruise is used with active lane assist is muted. Before, there was a sound notification when you are required to hold the wheel, now only icon on the dash. The only sound is at the end, when the system is deactivated and the car already may be leaving lane with no corrections anymore.

4. When AA/CarPlay is connected, audio directly switches to music inside AA/CarPlay. But maybe I want only navigation and continue listening to the radio...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can change your prefered audiosource inte setup menu in the Toyota system. Otherwise you have to manually choose FM/AM in the instrumentcluster via the steering wheel buttons. 

5. After disconnecting AA/CarPlay audio is always off instead of just going back to radio or whatever was playing before AA/CarPlay. 

6. I was not able to find anywhere a setting for voice volume of Google Maps/Waze audio navigation guidance. And it is really loud.

For Google Maps, you should be able to adjust this by going into the app on your phone -> settings -> nagivation.

7. By default when you press phone button on steering wheel, phone app on the center console opens instead of the phone in digital cluster. Yes, you can change it deep into settings, but who would want the new behavior that requires you to move you sight from road and the need to move hand from wheel and interact with the screen...?

On 10/10/2020 at 11:36 PM, PanosSkouras said:

thanks for your replie

that is bad...

Google Maps don't support Greece yet. Even if we get android auto in our cars, in order to download the app we need to find it outside the Google play.

Book my car for the update this weekend on my dealer. I was told its a whole day process? How long does the upgrade usually?

2 hours ago, Auris2010 said:

Book my car for the update this weekend on my dealer. I was told its a whole day process? How long does the upgrade usually?

Judging by how long it was taking the DIY'ers, and how long it takes even to do even a map update, several hours.  I also expect the dealer has a few cars in to service, so probably best to allow the day, and if you get a phone call and it takes quicker than that, that's a bonus..  

At least I have been given a fixed price.  I had a camera fitted.  They collected the car, fitted the camera and returned it.  Unfortunately they didn't realise the camera appeared to be working because its internal Battery was fully charged.  They came a second day, collected the car, refitted the camera and returned it.  At least they now know how to do it.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:00 PM, vonkhaled said:

Turns out it's NOT a setting in AA. It's actually linked to the inbuilt Toyota system's voice guidance, so when you find and adjust that, it also adjusts Google voice assist on AA.

Go to HOME/ MENU/ SETUP and select Voice. Adjust the voice volume here, and the voices on AA (Waze, Google Assist) will be adjusted too.

ENTUNE 3.0 QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE - Audio System - Bluetooth Functions -  Entune 3.0 App Suite Connect - Dynamic Navigation -

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mitsos_Hybrid said:

Google Maps don't support Greece yet. Even if we get android auto in our cars, in order to download the app we need to find it outside the Google play.

Don't worry about that. Just find Android Auto apk file outside of Play Store and install it manually...This is what everyone here is doing and it works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnNZ said:

Turns out it's NOT a setting in AA. It's actually linked to the inbuilt Toyota system's voice guidance, so when you find and adjust that, it also adjusts Google voice assist on AA.

Go to HOME/ MENU/ SETUP and select Voice. Adjust the voice volume here, and the voices on AA (Waze, Google Assist) will be adjusted too.

Thanks, then it is better than nothing, but still very uncomfortable and dangerous.

And it is nowhere near what VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi have implemented - the volume knob on the steering wheel is controlling the type of sound that is currently playing. (The same way we control with the same buttons phone call volume and music volume). But there it is for everything being active at the time you correct the volume.

So imagine I want to change the level on the go while driving. For example my wife receives important phone call on her phone and I need to lower the music and everything. I can do that for the music/radio, but the next turn guidance will be loud. So the only way to do it safely is to pull over somewhere, do it and then drive again...

3 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

So the only way to do it safely is to pull over somewhere, do it and then drive again...

It seems that is true. Bad design.

If you simply press the audio volume knob that mutes the audio, will it not mute navigation directions?

It could be. I need to check. 
But still this is quite radical workaround for just the particular example I used. Not working if you just want to fine tune the volume level...

So another example - driving during the day with loud music - I need nav guidance also loud to be able to hear it, so it is set like that. A bit later night comes, my family fell asleep at the back, I lower the music not to disturb them and suddenly bang - TURN LEFT AFTER 200 METERS...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

If you simply press the audio volume knob that mutes the audio, will it not mute navigation directions?

No, only mutes whatever music is playing. Not the voice guidance.

On 10/12/2020 at 9:36 AM, OXYGEN said:

New one on me. I only get this when 1. My Phone has done an IOS update 2. When another iphone/Android has been connected prior to mine 

2. Toyota online services are not activated automatically and car does not connect to internet over Bluetooth from phone on every start as before. Now when I try to check traffic, parking places or fuel prices, it says that I am not connected. The worst thing is that I can get message if I want to connect only on weather forecast. So for example if I want to check cheapest gas station nearby, first I need to open weather, on popup to connect select yes, wait a long time to show the weather, then go back and check the gas prices...

When Carplay/AA is connected via USB Bluetooth is disabled make sure Personal hotspot is on this allows devices connected via USB to use Mobile data connection

MM19 Update has no bearing on this, this is a setting via the MFD by the speedo, check your lane assist settings and notification method

Yep when Carplay/AA is connected it assumes you want media via Carplay/AA, if you want non carplay/AA audio press Audio > Source, pick your preferred source then Select carplay/AA to get back your Navigation.

Not noticed this however I rarely use anything other than Spotify for audio

This is controlled by the head unit, Press setup > voice and alter here

7. By default when you press phone button on steering wheel, phone app on the centre console opens instead of the phone in digital cluster. Yes, you can change it deep into settings, but who would want the new behaviour that requires you to move you sight from road and the need to move hand from wheel and interact with the screen...?

With Carplay connected via USB it takes control of phone and can only display on the main screen, carplay does not integrate into the MFD by speedo, this might come later as apparently it is possible but according to info linked no one has implemented it yet see HERE

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

7. By default when you press phone button on steering wheel, phone app on the centre console opens instead of the phone in digital cluster. Yes, you can change it deep into settings, but who would want the new behaviour that requires you to move you sight from road and the need to move hand from wheel and interact with the screen...?

With Carplay connected via USB it takes control of phone and can only display on the main screen, carplay does not integrate into the MFD by speedo, this might come later as apparently it is possible but according to info linked no one has implemented it yet see HERE

There is a work around. First go to Menu/Setup/Phone and make sure Phone Operation using str-sw is set to "meter." When mine came back from the upgrade, it was set to display.

Once that is done...when you have the phone connected by USB using Android Auto there are two scenarios:

1. If Android Auto is displaying on the screen and you hit the phone button on the steering wheel, phone options/numbers appear on the main screen, not above the steering wheel. You have to use the touch screen. No scrolling available using steering wheel controls.

2. If you push the home button, and return to your main Toyota screen, then hit the phone button on your steering wheel, the "behind the steering wheel" display shows, and you can scroll through recents and favourites. This is my my preferred method of using the phone definitely. Good to know it can still be accessed with Android Auto plugged in. 

image.thumb.png.cceb30db5f340fd3549dce5eae8c2aec.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

this is literally torture reading about people that have the upgrade done!  I'm waiting on my dealership to call me to get it booked in but have been told not before the end of October! 😄

I had mine last Sunday. Dealers should have it already by now. 
The system is not perfect, me too was a bit disappointed on Apple car play especially waiting for more than a year for it to be installed   Its a matter of preference on how you use the system. But as of now im glad of having it installed its a big plus for corollas infotainment. People will always compare different manufacturers approach on their infotainment but whats important is how you will acknowledge it. Its a start and sure it will continue to improve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auris2010 said:

I had mine last Sunday. Dealers should have it already by now. 
The system is not perfect, me too was a bit disappointed on apple car play especially waiting for more than a year for it to be installed   Its a matter of preference on how you use the system. But as of now im glad of having it installed its a big plus for corollas infotainment. People will always compare different manufacturers approach on their infotainment but whats important is how you will acknowledge it. Its a start and sure it will continue to improve

Where in the country are you? And what dealer was it that dine your upgrade mate?

Booked my Corolla in for android auto/apple car play retro fit. Just came into the dealers this morning apparently. Booked in for next week. Will take few hours they said. £50 inc vat and they honoured the discount as I serviced my car 2 weeks ago. Can't wait 🙂

• Like 1

I had my car done 2 days ago. Works perfectly. The dealer said they had a full day of training, and now they had 2 mechanics that was qualified by Toyota to do the job.

The price in Denmark is 300£...ouchh....

Is there any possible way to connect wireless? I've tried with bluetooth teetering turned on, Android Auto is set to wireless projection, but nothing happens. The cars setup options shows some sort of wireless network option, what does it do, and when to use it?