Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

My understanding is that it is wired only, the Toyota system does not support wireless.

A few disappointed comments here from upgraders.  Does the upgrade for the 2019 Corolla purchasers provide identical functionality that the 2020 purchasers have ie the retro fit mirrors the system supplied if you buy a 2020 Corolla now? Or do 2020 owners have the same issues re volume control etc? 

Received the letter from Toyota Portugal yesterday saying I can book the update service in any official shop. The update takes half a day but it's free of charge 😃  An idea that I had is to buy a wireless ssd/usb drive/hub connecting it with my phone and then I could still use my own music collection (I hate Spotify commercials and the music they choose for me).

Just an update. Just got the car home. Dealers updated infotainment system with AA/Car Play. All working well. Took the whole day. Apparently I was the 2nd car they were doing. The 1st car took a day and a half as it kept crashing. Luckily mine got done at 5:10 and they close at 5:30. Brilliant and well happy with it.

IMG-20201027-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.acb4316e0973fa44bb2d4c232281f973.jpeg

• Like 1

Mine was booked for 3rd November but  got a message saying they havent had the upgrade sent to them and are not sure when its going to come so resheduled for 19th November.

Roger

All dealers had the flash drive pack.auto issued this week 

We are doing our first vehicles tomorrow 

Steven Eagell Toyota in Birmingham confirmed they're doing the upgrade. They didn't mention cost or anything else, and being an idiot, I forgot to ask.

Well, she goes in on Tuesday so let's hope it gets done quickly and without any problems!

I’m in Ireland and got quoted 150 euro plus vat for Corolla Hybrid  bought March 2019 for Carplay upgrade during service

16 hours ago, Darcus said:

Steven Eagell Toyota in Birmingham...

My local SE dealer cancelled my appointment last month and I am still waiting their contact to rebook but given the forthcoming COVID restrictions next week I'd now be surprised if they performed the update before until middle December.

Just got the call from Steven Eagell who stated that it's one of the few they've done (I have a feeling it's the first) and it keeps crashing on them.  They've issued a ticket with Toyota HQ for assistance, in the meantime, I'm without a car overnight and possibly another day lost.

Let's hope they can sort it.

I don't understand why software updates take so long on these devices.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, Pawn33 said:

I’m in Ireland and got quoted 150 euro plus vat for Corolla Hybrid  bought March 2019 for Carplay upgrade during service

No surprise there - Typical Ripoff Ireland.  I've emailed Toyota Ireland umpteen times seeking info on when/if retro fit will be available.  Still awaiting a reply!!!!

Steven Eagell came through and I just picked up my car.

Android Auto works brilliantly. Definitely worth the hassle.

Definitely they upgraded the software of the media system.

The dealership were really kind and dropped the cost to zero for me after they had my car for nearly two days to do this update.

I wonder if they did something else, the screen seems higher resolution than before, although it could be my eyes deceiving me.

The wire I had tucked under the roof liner for my dash cam was untucked. So it feels like they did something there.

For now, I'm just happy that I can use this. Yes, just with a cable for now. Hehe, here's hoping for wireless android Auto in the future!

Tracey at Steven Eagell Birmingham was brilliant. For now this android Auto malarkey makes my car feel like new again!

PXL_20201104_180612095.jpg

• Like 1

They usually disconnect the dash cam for security purpose or something along them lines. Maybe it could have been the reason why your wiring was out of place?

3 hours ago, TazUddin said:

They usually disconnect the dash cam for security purpose or something along them lines. Maybe it could have been the reason why your wiring was out of place?

Possibly.

In any case, I just tucked it in again.

Out of interest, is the tune knob 'clicky'? I realised I've never actually used it. The whole screen seems different. They definitely took it apart because the plastic behind the screen (that sits on the dash) doesn't sit the way it used to. Looks like it was lifted and now there is a small gap.

On another note, my side mirrors no longer fold when I pick the car and I guess I'll have to go through the manual to find out what setting I've turned off!

13 minutes ago, Darcus said:

Possibly.

In any case, I just tucked it in again.

Out of interest, is the tune knob 'clicky'? I realised I've never actually used it. The whole screen seems different. They definitely took it apart because the plastic behind the screen (that sits on the dash) doesn't sit the way it used to. Looks like it was lifted and now there is a small gap.

On another note, my side mirrors no longer fold when I pick the car and I guess I'll have to go through the manual to find out what setting I've turned off!

This might help with mirror issue.

Screenshot_20201105-010726.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jack Spratt said:

This might help with mirror issue.

Screenshot_20201105-010726.jpg

Thank you!

Once I set the car up when I got, I forgot all these little buttons! I feel stupid now.

• Like 1

Newbie so please be kind.

My local dealer has now had my 2019 Corolla hybrid for 3 days and has not been able to update my media system to Apple carplay!

It apparently keeps crashing and I think he said comes up with error code 001, they have tried contacting Technical services, but they can only email and are unable to speak directly to anyone.

My car is the first they have attempted and none of their other branches have completed it either.

Any suggestions are welcome please.

PS I have sat nav already but dont know if that makes a difference?

14 minutes ago, Walster said:

Newbie so please be kind.

My local dealer has now had my 2019 Corolla hybrid for 3 days and has not been able to update my media system to Apple carplay!

It apparently keeps crashing and I think he said comes up with error code 001, they have tried contacting Technical services, but they can only email and are unable to speak directly to anyone.

My car is the first they have attempted and none of their other branches have completed it either.

Any suggestions are welcome please.

PS I have sat nav already but dont know if that makes a difference?

The dealer will have to sort it. If you think they are just going to hand it back without the upgrade, go directly to Toyota UK and complain. The dealers should have received full instructions on what to do, it's not down to you to get information for them.

Timmon,Yeah, I understand its down to them and there did seem to be an air of "it just wont work" when they rung me, but they were happy to keep the car and try tomorrow.

I was just thinking with the wealth of experience on here that someone may be able to offer a suggestion that may help them. I do think it amazing that they cant actually speak to someone at Technical support.

I'll update when I know more. Thanks for replying.

• Like 1

Just had AppleCar fitted at RRG in Bury.Fantastic ,worth the wait.

My dealer has car since monday (week). They have trouble to install update, so they asked me, if They can keep car longer. Without CarPlay they can keep car forever 😞 ... we will see next week, but as I read this discussion, I’m not only one with the same problem...

Well, we know it takes an hour just to update the maps. I guess the issue is that even the dealer can't rush the update, so if it is taking several hours, and fails, a whole day may be wasted. Unlike us, they are not likely to sit in the car observing, as they have other cars in the workshop. 

Maybe as time goes on, further changes will be made to the software to make a smoother upgrade, which does not help you now, I realise. 

On 11/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, Darcus said:

I note from the picture below that the map is 2019v2.  When I got my car in March my home was not on the map.  I updated to 2020V1 at least 3 months back and my home was now on the map.  2020V2 should be released in Oct/Nov (they said).

PXL_20201104_180612095.jpg

Got mine done yesterday. Apple car play works perfectly but required an original (or at least good quality) cable. Still couldn't make my android 10 phone work with it.

18 minutes ago, JoaoM said:

Got mine done yesterday. Apple car play works perfectly but required an original (or at least good quality) cable. Still couldn't make my android 10 phone work with it.

What android phone ?