Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

Nokia 7.1 running Android 10 (Q)

Keeps saying "device no response"

Couldn't find an answer to the same problem. I'll try again later. Meanwhile I will be using Apple CarPlay

Just dropped the Corolla down to dealer for Carplay upgrade , £120.They need it for most of the day apparently.

I have an issue with Android Auto.  In anticipation of getting my car updated I installed AA on my Android.  Looks good and could even be used on its own in advance of the upgrade.  So far so good.

Then I tried Spotify.  Then the problems started.  Spotify would spontaneously restart even when AA was switched off.  In desperation  I uninstalled Spotify..  Well that fixed Spotify.

Then AA would spontaneously restart even when AA was selected as Exit.  In desperation I uninstalled AA.  Well that fixed AA.

Has anyone else had issues like that?  

Android Auto Will auto start when the phone connects with the car by bluetooth, even without AA installed in the car.

Carplay all done and really pukka although plugging in phone is a chore , have orderd this , hope it works.

Roger

Cplay2air-2_1944x.jpg

That's an expensive piece of gear just to get rid of one cable. And the usb port will be occupied anyway. I'd rather prefer any solution that would enable me to use a pen with my music collection instead of Spotify, but still haven't found a proved solution

I am opposite, cannot remember the last time I used memory stick for music. Spotify, Amazon Prime music or MP3 stored on the phone. Connecting cable to a phone is a small inconvenience, but with iPhone you do not need the BT on and sound quality is better over the cable (compared to BT)

• Like 1

My Android phone received a security patch today and so I've spent a few minutes trying to connect it again. I had no luck though. Now it doesn't say "device no response" anymore, stars the bluetooth connection with the car (it did it before, even prior to the car system update, as soon as Android Auto app was running), but no menu for the AA.

CarPlay is just plug and play.

Go in to the connection's menu remove the phone then re add it, it may be connecting it in data mode and not AA

On 10/24/2020 at 7:26 PM, Timmon said:

My understanding is that it is wired only, the Toyota system does not support wireless.

A few disappointed comments here from upgraders.  Does the upgrade for the 2019 Corolla purchasers provide identical functionality that the 2020 purchasers have ie the retro fit mirrors the system supplied if you buy a 2020 Corolla now? Or do 2020 owners have the same issues re volume control etc? 

Try this , just got mine and works perfectly with Carplay, no more plugging/unplugging.

https://cplay2air.com/

Roger

On 11/21/2020 at 1:12 PM, ApophisAstros said:

Carplay all done and really pukka although plugging in phone is a chore , have orderd this , hope it works.

Roger

Cplay2air-2_1944x.jpg

Only took 12 days from Hong Kong, works like a treat......😃

On 11/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, JoaoM said:

My Android phone received a security patch today and so I've spent a few minutes trying to connect it again. I had no luck though. Now it doesn't say "device no response" anymore, stars the bluetooth connection with the car (it did it before, even prior to the car system update, as soon as Android Auto app was running), but no menu for the AA.

CarPlay is just plug and play.

Try to reinstall Android Auto, I had to do it every time phone was updated when I had an Android phone. Have iPhone now and ACP has far less issues compared to AA 

On 12/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, Rav4ster said:

Try to reinstall Android Auto, I had to do it every time phone was updated when I had an Android phone. Have iPhone now and ACP has far less issues compared to AA 

It's not easy to reinstall as it is part of the OS now (since Android 10). I've already tried to clean all stored data in both AA and Play Store (and Google) with no success. I think it's a problem deeply hidden in the android code that only Google can solve.

Did anybody with an Android 10 phone had success connecting and using it?

Update:

Apple CarPlay: works flawlessly 99% of the time, the missing 1% is mainly due to rush on the connecting from user, if I do it properly and it works perfectly.

Android Auto: I've managed to make it work with an older phone that has a micro-usb plug instead of USB-C. The main advantage was that I had a good quality short cable with that plug (I'm waiting for one short USB-C to test it again). Another important issue: on the Nokia 7.1 I already had Android Auto installed prior to Android 10 update, so it showed up as an idependent app and on the older phone it didn't. I've already removed the idependent app and updated the system, let's see how it works with the new cable.

the usb to usb type C cables have a chip in them, some are ok for charging and others are fine with data i have had great success with Anker cables

On 11/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, Roy124 said:

Then AA would spontaneously restart even when AA was selected as Exit.  In desperation I uninstalled AA.  Well that fixed AA.

Has anyone else had issues like that?

I've been using AA for more than 5 years, occasionally getting weird things happening. As the software is continuously being developed and improved, I regard AA as a work in progress. Still, my experience is good in terms of it working well 99% of the time.

I think much depends on the USB cable. My experience is some cables work well, others don't. Rule of thumb: use your phone's original cable as a preference. Then keep AA updated to the latest version - Google updates it frequently. Android version 10 and 11 have AA built into the OS: it's not a separate app any more. There's also a matter of your phone brand and model. Samsung phones have a good rep (my current S20 5G with Android 11 is a good testament) while others not so much (I also have a Huawei phone with Android 10 that does not play well with AA).

Also consider if any other app on your phone is the cause of a problem with AA. Maybe a conflict there (Spotify has had issues recently).

You can check on AA news including issues here - https://www.autoevolution.com/search.php?s=android+auto

I’ve now got Apple CarPlay on my 2019 Corolla TS, and it’s pretty good, though doesn’t add as much as I imagined it might. I think I still prefer to have my iPhone on a holder in front of me as I drive and use Waze etc on that. The dealership upgraded it for free; said it was only the 2nd one they have done. They asked me not to activate it for 48 hours to be sure some registration went through at their end. But it works perfectly 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

I bought my Corolla TS Trek back in December 2019 and at that time I've asked the seller if the Apple CarPlay would be available for free. The answer to my question was "Yes" and it should be installed in March 2020.

Due to the Covid-19 situation this process was postponed to November 2020 and by then, I've received a letter from Toyota asking to take the car to the dealer so that they can install the software.

An there it is:

1931875065_2020-12-1912_38.07__DSF7413.thumb.jpg.bf042de71c3cda2058c6eba910e453b0.jpg

The Apple CarPlay is a great addition to the standard multimedia system.

Cheers,

Adelmo

• 2 weeks later...

The update is available in Greece and it's free of charge. Next week I going for the first service and also update the infotainment.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update: I made it work on all phones I use.

The Nokia 7.1 wasn't charging properly and I've sent it to service within warranty (quite fast and confortable as DHL came to pick it at my door and brought it back fully repaired). As the phone was factory reset, I've cleared the old AA App and just updated it when requested. Android Auto now works perfectly.

I'm using short dedicated data certified USB-C (deleyCON MK2362) and Apple certified Lightning (Syncwire SW-LC053) cables. Sleek and effective.

Now it's just a question of taste or necessity (work related contacts vs personal). I find Car Play a little faster to load and navigate.

And I have to get rid of Spotify: I can't bare their ads every couple of songs anymore...😝

• 2 months later...

I waited until my scheduled service and had the upgrade this month.  Sadly I find it a waste of money unless I am not using it correctly.  I really only wanted it for the mapping and that is certainly better than the OEM mapping but there if ends.  

The map occupied the whole of the screen but menu screens cover part of the map and I haven't found a way to remove it.  The map also seems on one magnification though I could rescale by hand - not ideal if driving.  It also seems to remain one way up (cant remember which but North up I think).

Am I not using it properly?

As far as I am aware, map upgrades are free. The menu screens should not be there when navigating. You have three options for the direction of travel icon when you have the map full screen. Press the thing that looks almost like a ban the bomb sign on the left of the map and it will cycle through the choices. When the map is on the home screen N is always up, unless someone can correct me.