Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daihatsu Sirion Questions ( Belt-Filter-Coolant-Tyres )

Biomecanoid

Hello,

Here are the details of my vehicle:

* Vehicle_maker Daihatsu Sirion
* Vehicle_model M300
* Vehicle_chassis_no JDAM300S001007410

https://www.vindecoder.pl/JDAM300S001007410

*Vehicle_year 2006
* Vehicle_engine_model 1KR-FE 1000cc
* Vehicle_Tansmission Manual
* Vehicle_Tires 175/65/R14

I have it for 3 years now and it was imported from the UK

Engine:

* I have the 1KR-FE 1000cc engine as far as i know it has a timing chain inside that is lubricated by the engine oil correct ?
So unless something extraordinary happens i never have to change it because chains should last as much as the rest of the vehicle.

* Now on the outside of the engine there is a rubber belt driving the accessories, my car is 14 years old now, what is the replacement interval for the accessories belt ? and what happens if it brakes ? it surely won't lead to engine damage correct ?

Fuel Filter:

* The fuel filter in my car seems to be inside the gas tank, since the car is 14 years old and probably the filter has never been changed should i add some additive in the fuel to try and clean it as preventative maintenance ?

Coolant:

How often should i drain and replace the coolant, I have the car for 3 years now and never replaced it. I don't know when the last flush was but the car works fine not overheating.

Oil: 

It seems that the car needs an oil top up every 6 months ( 2-3000KMs ) about 1/3 is missing ( assume burned ). I used 0w40 oil and i always use well know brands for the TOP-UP. The cars does not smoke or any other visible side effects. I take the car to the shop for an oil/filter change about every 10 months. Should i do anything for the oil consumption buy some additive for the oil ? Also note that i live in Cyprus which is very hot.

Cabin Filter:

At some time i took the glove compartment off to check the air filter and i found that there was none. There a tray for it but nothing really inside also there is a white piece of cloth ( looking like a kitchen extractor filter ) glued to the back of the glovebox whats up with that ( see attached photo ). A mechanic told me that my car doesn't have a filter but there is clearly provision for one and i can find actual cabin filters online.

Bump Stops - spring seats:

A few months ago one of the rear bump stops dry rotted and fell off. So i replaced all rubber Bump Stops - Spring Seats. Taking that into account what other similar things i must check to be sure they are in good condition ?

Tires:

My current tires are 175/65/R14 and its time to change them I would like to keep my rims and "upgrade" to taller sidewall tires like :

185/70/R14

185/65/R14

175/70/R14

My goal is to make the car a few mm higher off the ground, which would make the ride softer since there is more rubber sidewall and the tires are an "extension" of the suspension.Note that where i live there are a crazy amount of speed bumps and road are not that nice. The idea is that a taller tires will be a dirty band-aid solution to these problems.

Is my logic correct, does any of this make any sense to you guys ?

Spare Parts:

Can you recommend an online shop for Daihatsu parts ? i currently buy parts from jp-carparts com but its not cost effective.

Preventative Maintenance:

What should i check in a 14 years old Daihatsu Sirion to make sure everything is in order ? I am asking because the mechanics here are awful ( I have lots of interesting stories ) they don't really check the car they are not good in problem solving and you have to be able to verify on your own that they actually did what they were supposed to do. Also the MOT is a complete joke you go there just to pay them.

Sorry for the long post, maybe i should have split it to individual posts.

Thank you
Chris

Thank You
Chris

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws (1).jpeg

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws (4).jpeg

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws (5).jpeg

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws (6).jpeg

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.jpeg

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws (2).jpeg

The 1KR-FE engine is chain, and is also used in the Aygo, IQ and Yaris.

Toyota's recommended oil for this engine and for a car produced in 2006, is 5W-30.

As regards tyres, depending which country you are in, you need to check the effect on the speedometer reading. In the UK and EU, it is illegal for a speedometer to under read (show less than the true speed). In the EU speedometers may over read by up to 10%. To check your speedometer reading for the tyres you are looking at, you need to visit a website that can do this calculation for you - eg http://www.autopartuk.com/tyre-calculator/

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 1KR-FE engine is chain, and is also used in the Aygo, IQ and Yaris.

Toyota's recommended oil for this engine and for a car produced in 2006, is 5W-30.

As regards tyres, depending which country you are in, you need to check the effect on the speedometer reading. In the UK and EU, it is illegal for a speedometer to under read (show less than the true speed). In the EU speedometers may over read by up to 10%. To check your speedometer reading for the tyres you are looking at, you need to visit a website that can do this calculation for you - eg http://www.autopartuk.com/tyre-calculator/

Yes you are correct about the 5W-30 oil its on a sticker when you open the bonnet. I was under the impression that 0w40 is even better because it has more recommended operational temperature range and includes the 5w30 range

I understand the speedometer side-effects but my question was more about the mechanics of changing the tires.

* Will there be any clearance issue in the wheel well
* Will i be stressing the wheel bearings
* Is my assumption of a softer ride correct ?
* I understand that the fuel economy will change
* Anything else i might be not taking into consideration ?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Maintenance schedule

A02.pdf 138.71 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the PDF i do have the manual myself but it not mention replace intervals for the belt or chain just to be checked every 2 years. unless i didn't read it right.

Also what will happen if the ax belt breaks ? will there be permanent damage to any components ?

The Aux belt change as required, for piece of mind, change it, the chain is lifetime of the car, keep on top of oil changes and it will be fine

If the AUX belt snaps you could potentially overheat the engine, lose power (electrical) and lose power steering

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The Aux belt change as required, for piece of mind, change it, the chain is lifetime of the car, keep on top of oil changes and it will be fine

If the AUX belt snaps you could potentially overheat the engine, lose power (electrical) and lose power steering

Thanks again.

OK Let's recap:

19 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Hello,

Here are the details of my vehicle:

* Vehicle_maker Daihatsu Sirion
* Vehicle_model M300
* Vehicle_chassis_no JDAM300S001007410

https://www.vindecoder.pl/JDAM300S001007410

*Vehicle_year 2006
* Vehicle_engine_model 1KR-FE 1000cc
* Vehicle_Tansmission Manual
* Vehicle_Tires 175/65/R14

I have it for 3 years now and it was imported from the UK

Engine:

* I have the 1KR-FE 1000cc engine as far as i know it has a timing chain inside that is lubricated by the engine oil correct ?
So unless something extraordinary happens i never have to change it because chains should last as much as the rest of the vehicle.

* Now on the outside of the engine there is a rubber belt driving the accessories, my car is 14 years old now, what is the replacement interval for the accessories belt ? and what happens if it brakes ? it surely won't lead to engine damage correct ?

Car indeed has a timing chain which will last the life of the car and if the aux belt breaks there is no permanent damage to the car - Thank you flash22/FROSTYBALLS

Fuel Filter:

* The fuel filter in my car seems to be inside the gas tank, since the car is 14 years old and probably the filter has never been changed should i add some additive in the fuel to try and clean it as preventative maintenance ?

What about the fuel filter that is buried inside the fuel tank ?

Coolant:

How often should i drain and replace the coolant, I have the car for 3 years now and never replaced it. I don't know when the last flush was but the car works fine not overheating.

What about the coolant ?

Oil: 

It seems that the car needs an oil top up every 6 months ( 2-3000KMs ) about 1/3 is missing ( assume burned ). I used 0w40 oil and i always use well know brands for the TOP-UP. The cars does not smoke or any other visible side effects. I take the car to the shop for an oil/filter change about every 10 months. Should i do anything for the oil consumption buy some additive for the oil ? Also note that i live in Cyprus which is very hot.

Should i NOT use 0w40 oil for top ups and stick to 5w30 ?

Cabin Filter:

At some time i took the glove compartment off to check the air filter and i found that there was none. There a tray for it but nothing really inside also there is a white piece of cloth ( looking like a kitchen extractor filter ) glued to the back of the glovebox whats up with that ( see attached photo ). A mechanic told me that my car doesn't have a filter but there is clearly provision for one and i can find actual cabin filters online.

Did my car originally had a Cabin Air Filter and should i buy one ?

Bump Stops - spring seats:

A few months ago one of the rear bump stops dry rotted and fell off. So i replaced all rubber Bump Stops - Spring Seats. Taking that into account what other similar things i must check to be sure they are in good condition ?

What other rubber parts should i check ?

Tires:

My current tires are 175/65/R14 and its time to change them I would like to keep my rims and "upgrade" to taller sidewall tires like :

185/70/R14

185/65/R14

175/70/R14

My goal is to make the car a few mm higher off the ground, which would make the ride softer since there is more rubber sidewall and the tires are an "extension" of the suspension.Note that where i live there are a crazy amount of speed bumps and road are not that nice. The idea is that a taller tires will be a dirty band-aid solution to these problems.

Is my logic correct, does any of this make any sense to you guys ?

What about upgrading tires ?

Spare Parts:

Can you recommend an online shop for Daihatsu parts ? i currently buy parts from jp-carparts com but its not cost effective.

Will try https://www.sgpetchparts.co.uk/daihatsu/sirion/2005-2010-petrol-1.0-68-bhp -Thank you flash22

Preventative Maintenance:

What should i check in a 14 years old Daihatsu Sirion to make sure everything is in order ? I am asking because the mechanics here are awful ( I have lots of interesting stories ) they don't really check the car they are not good in problem solving and you have to be able to verify on your own that they actually did what they were supposed to do. Also the MOT is a complete joke you go there just to pay them.

What should i have a mechanic check on my car that maybe deteriorated due to the age of the vehicle to make sure everything is in order ?

Hello guys

Can anyone please be so kind as to answer my other questions as well ?

Thank you for you time  :)

Fuel filter - is lifetime too or until the pump dies

Cabin filter - it doesn't have one even tho the aftermarket says it does*

Tyres - change them like for like, try different air pressures to the recommended (+/- 3 max)

Coolant - 5 years if you are not sure change it

Oil - Correct one listed for the car  fully synthetic 5W-30 A5 is listed on the major suppliers sites 

Aux belt - if it snaps you can overheat the engine potentially blowing a head gasket

* higher spec models may use filter

45 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Fuel filter - is lifetime too or until the pump dies

I know that the manufacturer claims the filter last for the lifetime of the vehicle but after 14 years i should do nothing to it ? not even some additive in the fuel tank ?

Cabin filter - it doesn't have one even tho the aftermarket says it does*

So i should not bother with installing a cabin filter ? there is provision for one 

Tyres - change them like for like, try different air pressures to the recommended (+/- 3 max)

I guess changing/upgrading tires is a topic on its own and probably should start a new thread on that

Coolant - 5 years if you are not sure change it

Understood. Thank you

Oil - Correct one listed for the car  fully synthetic 5W-30 A5 is listed on the major suppliers sites 

I understand that the manufacturer recommends 5W-30 its in the manual and on a sticker under the bonnet. 0w40 isn't even better ? it should have all the advantages of 5w30 plus more ? is my logic flawed ?

Aux belt - if it snaps you can overheat the engine potentially blowing a head gasket

Understood. Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to reply flash22

Anybody cares to join in and reply to the above ?

Thank you

• 8 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, Biomecanoid said:

Anybody cares to join in and reply to the above ?

Thank you

Hello

Sorry for the huge bump!!!

Just got my Sirion (1.3 DVVT 91HP 16V) back from my mechanics, and he did say that yes, there is a fuel filter but it's in the tank, don't worry about it, if the car works good don't change it, it's not really necessary

I do have used a MPM motor treatment (fuel additive) and holy smokes that it works well!!! I've done it three times (with three bottles) it cleans fuel system and everything even the combustion chamber

For the cabin filter, there isn't any, it's a cheap car, what do you expect? They cut cost everywhere, it's a very good car and nice car but you can't expect this type of things in a cheap car, they didn't put one maybe because it was too time expensive to replace it every 15K km at the dealership 

Change your gearbox oil, it's a good idea, just changed mine and now it shift super smooth..Also changed every filters and fluids

Brake fluid is also a good idea to change it

Be careful also because this engine can sometime consume oil, my neighbour's wife have a Citroën C1 with the same Daihatsu engine and same problem unfortunately

3 minutes ago, sheppardpat47 said:

Hello

Sorry for the huge bump!!!

Just got my Sirion (1.3 DVVT 91HP 16V) back from my mechanics, and he did say that yes, there is a fuel filter but it's in the tank, don't worry about it, if the car works good don't change it, it's not really necessary

I do have used a MPM motor treatment (fuel additive) and holy smokes that it works well!!! I've done it three times (with three bottles) it cleans fuel system and everything even the combustion chamber

For the cabin filter, there isn't any, it's a cheap car, what do you expect? They cut cost everywhere, it's a very good car and nice car but you can't expect this type of things in a cheap car, they didn't put one maybe because it was too time expensive to replace it every 15K km at the dealership 

Change your gearbox oil, it's a good idea, just changed mine and now it shift super smooth..Also changed every filters and fluids

Brake fluid is also a good idea to change it

Be careful also because this engine can sometime consume oil

There is a place for a cabin filter. Everybody was telling me there isn't one but I managed to do it myself, it took a lot of online searching and had to watch a lot of videos to know what to do but in the end it was rather simple as simple as changing the engine air filter.

I am now looking to change my fuel filter, just the fuel filter not the whole fuel pump assembly but I have not had found where to source it online. If I remember correctly you have to change it @80.000KM or 8 years.

I also think my catalyst is going bad as I have a CAT_RDY INC on the OBDII but no error codes and no Engine Light. I currently added STP cat cleaner in the tank still about half away thru the tank and no change. I may have to do it again.

7 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

There is a place for a cabin filter. Everybody was telling me there isn't one but I managed to do it myself, it took a lot of online searching and had to watch a lot of videos to know what to do but in the end it was rather simple as simple as changing the engine air filter.

I am now looking to change my fuel filter, just the fuel filter not the whole fuel pump assembly but I have not had found where to source it online. If I remember correctly you have to change it @80.000KM or 8 years.

I also think my catalyst is going bad as I have a CAT_RDY INC on the OBDII but no error codes and no Engine Light. I currently added STP cat cleaner in the tank still about half away thru the tank and no change. I may have to do it again.

Yeah the place is there I know but the thing is, that I don't know why but my airflow isn't as strong as in recycle mode, maybe there is another filter inside or something?? 

My 1981 Fiat 127 doesn't have a cabin filter and that makes sense, but my Sirion is from 2008 and I highly doubt they just let it without anything else for cleaning the air

How did you put a cabin filter ?? I would like to put one, but I don't know how unfortunately

I didn't find anything for the fuel filter either unfortunately 😞 

Don't touch your catalyst maybe it's just the computer that is a bit false ! I hope it's just that, because in my mother's car (also with a toyota engine) Citroën DS3 cabrio with a 1.2 VTI engine, the catalyst and both of the lambda thing were hecked up, needed replace (100k KM...)

4 minutes ago, sheppardpat47 said:

Yeah the place is there I know but the thing is, that I don't know why but my airflow isn't as strong as in recycle mode, maybe there is another filter inside or something?? 

My 1981 Fiat 127 doesn't have a cabin filter and that makes sense, but my Sirion is from 2008 and I highly doubt they just let it without anything else for cleaning the air

How did you put a cabin filter ?? I would like to put one, but I don't know how unfortunately

I didn't find anything for the fuel filter either unfortunately 😞 

Don't touch your catalyst maybe it's just the computer that is a bit false ! I hope it's just that, because in my mother's car (also with a toyota engine) Citroën DS3 cabrio with a 1.2 VTI engine, the catalyst and both of the lambda thing were hecked up, needed replace (100k KM...)

You have to cut a hole, install the filter, any of the below:

ALCO FILTER

MS-6378

AMC Filter

DC-7001

ASHIKA

21-SB-SB6

DAIHATSU

99906350M2038

DAIHATSU

99906-850M2-038

FEBI BILSTEIN

HERTH+BUSS JAKOPARTS

J1346004

JAPANPARTS

FAA-SB6

KAVO PARTS

DC-7001

MANN-FILTER

CUK 1611

MECAFILTER

EKR7314

SUBARU

99906850M2038

And then install the door 88892-B2010

39817770_https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws(5).jpeg.29b47297af967af68c66d3d17f97b2e4.jpeg

1257475470_https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws(4).jpeg.9d767dede5a2a19ea963f536416e8c70.jpeg

1970709319_https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws(6).jpeg.a1f494562b63bb9d1356eb4f43363a8d.jpeg

CabinFilter3.jpg

CabinFilterCover.jpg

CabinFilterCover3.jpg

PartNumber.png

Youtube_CabinFilter.jpg

AHHHHHHHHH so there is a hole but it's "plugged" with plastic? But does it works well? Is the filter affecting the airflow?

Yeah there is a hole and my Sirion is 15 years old now and no one figured out how to change it LOL. I have the car for about 3 years now, so my car had something "virgin" on it LOL. I have not noticed any difference in the way the AC blows. There might be a restriction but I guess its too minor to notice.

I don't think there is a car with AC that does not come with a filter.

The only issue with the car is the CAT_RDY INC, but you would not think there is anything wrong with the car as it drives just fine. It has enough acceleration to spin the tires and goes up to 160km on the highway.

1 hour ago, Biomecanoid said:

The only issue with the car is the CAT_RDY INC, but you would not think there is anything wrong with the car as it drives just fine. It has enough acceleration to spin the tires and goes up to 160km on the highway.

Lmaooo spinning tires with that poor 3 cylinders hahaha

I've done it slightly on this video but mine is a 4 cylinder 

1 hour ago, Biomecanoid said:

Yeah there is a hole and my Sirion is 15 years old now and no one figured out how to change it LOL. I have the car for about 3 years now, so my car had something "virgin" on it LOL. I have not noticed any difference in the way the AC blows. There might be a restriction but I guess its too minor to notice.

I don't think there is a car with AC that does not come with a filter.

What did you use to cut the hole? A dremel or something? Is it easy to do? 

No mine does a burnout to the point that the tires start to smell and leave tires marks on the ground LOOL. Its probably cause the transmission is new, I avoid doing it because I am sure I will mess up the transmission in the long run.

That little car has the heart of HERBIE, has been up mountains, goes like a pocket rocket on the highway and has jump-start cars twice its size :P ahah.
Somebody even told me that I have probably modified the car lool.

To cut the whole for the Cabin Filter I just used an exacto-knife. I didn't want to use power tools and scratch / damage anything and have debris flying everywhere inside the dash. There is a guide line on the plastic where you need to cut.

Herbie-50th-anniversary-featured-620x316.jpg

I've done it once but I'm not a fan of boing burnout with this type of cars it's clearly not meant to do that lmao

Yeah it works pretty well and the 1 liter isn't bad at all

Thanks for all the informations!! 😄 

• Thanks 1

I wonder how the 1.5 version would perform. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links