Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Shaft part

flyphil

Hi there, here is a good one !

The 2006 Corolla I bought a few months ago has a rattle coming from the front end. The person I bought it off had had it checked by Burrows of Doncaster, and they suspected the "steering intermediate shaft". I just had it checked by a local mechanic on his ramp and he says its definitely coming from steering column. Not bushes, drop links, ball joints etc !

I just checked my local Toyota dealer for the part : 45260-0231 and they wanted £259 odd plus VAT !!!!! - just for the part. !! Its just a small shaft with UV joints at each end.

I tried googling the part without success - reports "part no longer manufactured, not in stock"

I have investigated this before, and on this model there was a recall some years ago for this part as it had faulty hardening on the joint splines. However checking with Toyota, my car was not liable in the recall.

So what to do. The car is fine apart from this annoying rattle. I certainly cant afford to pay £310 plus (?) £100 labour to fit it (?). That is a third the value of the car!

Has anyone any advice. 

Pretty disappointed. I bought a Toyota because they are supposed to be good and reliable. 

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

You missed a zero 45260-02031

it's an older car thing, you purchased the car with a known issue

A used part off eBay or a breakers ?

Edit, replacement part number

45260-02H00

16 minutes ago, flyphil said:

Pretty disappointed. I bought a Toyota because they are supposed to be good and reliable. 

For a 14 year old car things like this happen, it's not unreasonable. A corolla is generally a reliable car, I have had several different models with little or no issues. 

There are numerous steering components listed on eBay, some new and some used. They are significantly less expensive than the price you mentioned above. 

Hi thanks for your replies. Yes I did miss a zero off the part number, thanks.

Ok so I will see if I can get 45260-02H00 if its a replacement. As regards exactly where the play is, I don't know. Toyota dealers would want to strip down and replace and give me a bill for £500 ! I cannot afford that I am a pensioner. The car is only worth £1200 ish. It is otherwise in excellent condition.

My local mechanic just said the play was in the steering shaft somewhere. This is why I just wanted to get the part and ask someone to replace it.

I dont think its worth getting a used part - that may also be worn. 

OK thanks. I may contact Toyota direct. Its a bit suspicious it was a recall item a few years ago. 

The shaft is Not available on the aftermarket but you can get the replacement cross shaft joints, you would have to verify fitment and see if your mechanic can fit them (requires a press)

There are 2 sizes

Febest

AS-1639 16x39mm

AS-1640 16x40mm

Hi,

Only ever had an Airbag recall and our 2006 model, as said after 14 years you  have to expect some things to be wearing out.

Would have thought your mechanic would have been able to feel for play in those UJs but it could be a loose bolt on those splines or further up the steering column.

One of the UJs  is under the dash so would have thought it would have been easy enough to feel any play in that.

Pics below showing the parts layout.

000062.jpg

000063.jpg

Hi thanks for your replies - particularly Bob.

Oh yes, of course, I realise old cars have things that wear out - but you do expect to be able to buy parts to fix them, at a reasonable price !. In the past few years I have had four old cars, around 15 - 18 years old. Two Honda Accords (year 2000 and 2002), One Honda Civic (year 1999) and One Volvo V40 estate (year 2002). All have been great cars, very reliable and easy to repair, with parts readily available and not too expensive. I particularly rate Honda's with the superb Vtec engine, or even the old D series engine.

I do like this Corolla as a car. Its very quick and in good condition. But why have they stopped making the parts - particularly a part that was the subject of a recall? Perhaps they just want you to buy a new one. However I no longer earn £70k a year as a Chartered engineer. I now live on £8k a year state pension. 

Bob thanks for your help I will see if I can get hold of the UV joints and try to find a mechanic to do the repair job - not easy these days. If not, I shall see if it passes the MOT in December - then sell it. Then it will be bye bye Toyota. 

Its a fact that most Toyota only parts are very expensive,  a recent quote for a rubber door seal from our local delaer came back at £120 !, similar high price for the rear exhaust heat shield that  protects the fuel tank, ( almost rusted through, check yours!)   though typical aftermarket parts like brake pads, dics etc are quiet normal prices.

How long should any manufacturer continue to make parts is a debatable point, though for one of the worlds best selling cars, you would hope prices and availaiblity were better.

If it was not for C19 would probably have got something newer myself, cannot expect them to last forever, unless you are a very keen diyer.

Why not trade your Corolla in for something  new , plenty offering £2000 - £2500+ scrappage schemes, saves all that hassle of trying to repair this one ?

On 9/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, flyphil said:

and he says its definitely coming from steering column

This doesn't sound like it is coming from the steering telescopic-adjustment splines.  But, if you can get the car to a wide-open empty car park, then you could see if the steering is still exhibiting the problem when the telescopic adjustment lever is left unlocked.  This obviously needs to be tried only with great care and caution! 

With the adjustment unlocked, the telescopic splines are not properly aligned, so if the splines (male/female) have any play/wear, then the deliberate misalignment will probably take the play up.  This definitely worked as a technique on two Toyotas and a Skoda I used it with, to help in identifying a steering problem.

This isn't a cure!  Just a way to see if play in the adjustment splines is possibly causing this.

Just in case you didn't know, there are lots of reports of various Toyotas, (and some Lexuses too) that end up with loose steering shaft clamps.  Although it's almost too simple to believe it's a cure, regreasing the joint and sometimes replacing the clamp bolt (a standard size) can sometimes cure this.  I don't remember this happening on your age of car, but who knows?  I haven't had to do this regrease myself, but the local Toyota dealer did when investigating a warranty claim (it didn't work on that particular car).

• 2 weeks later...

Gerg, thanks for your reply, only just seen it. I will try your test with the unlocked wheel adjustment. This problem seems common on Toyota cars. Youtube has several videos showing re-grease or replacement shafts on Rav4, Camry models etc. However one contributor mentions $150 for the part in the USA - ie less than half that in the UK. I am going to ask a friend in the USA to price the part over there for a comparison.

Alas I am a bit old and stiff jointed for crawling under the dashboard - that is why a rely on garages and mechanics to do repairs. Don't mind paying, but was shocked at the replacement prices for parts.   

GERG ! YOU WERE RIGHT !!!!!!! 😃

I tried your test. With the steering wheel fully in - the rattle still there but reduced. With the steering wheel fully out NO MORE RATTLE. 

So it is clear: the splines on the intermediate steering shaft are worn and are causing the rattle. When I first investigated this I found that there had been a recall due to this problem and it had been fixed under warranty. The splines had not been hardened properly and when worn caused a rattle. 

So for the time being, I have locked the wheel in its fully out position and this is OK for me. No more annoying rattle. I have contacted a friend in the USA to price a new shaft over there because there is no way I am going to pay £300 for one here in rip off Britain! 

Gerg, thanks ever so much for your help in this matter, and I hope if others  have the same problem, it will help them too. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links