Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stolen catalytic converter

Emmat

Hi, this topic has most likely come up before. Today someone stole the catalytic converter from my Prius, very annoying and upsetting, particularly as I am a wheelchair user and my car is my lifeline. I read an article somewhere where a guy says his was stolen and he obviously got it refitted with a new one and just 3 hours later the new one was stolen . It kind of makes sense that the thieves might look out for the same car as they know at some point in the near future there will be another few hundred quid for them for a few minutes work. Does anyone know what’s the best thing to have fitted to try and make it harder for the thieves to get it off so quickly, I’ve read about a cage thing or a lock but would welcome some advice on what’s best. 
thanks

Emm 

Yes, I've heard a lot about this. There was even a youtuber where his was stolen 2 times.

It could be they remember the number plate or remember where they last stole it. And some go after number 2 attempts.

29 minutes ago, Emmat said:

Hi, this topic has most likely come up before. Today someone stole the catalytic converter from my Prius, very annoying and upsetting, particularly as I am a wheelchair user and my car is my lifeline. I read an article somewhere where a guy says his was stolen and he obviously got it refitted with a new one and just 3 hours later the new one was stolen . It kind of makes sense that the thieves might look out for the same car as they know at some point in the near future there will be another few hundred quid for them for a few minutes work. Does anyone know what’s the best thing to have fitted to try and make it harder for the thieves to get it off so quickly, I’ve read about a cage thing or a lock but would welcome some advice on what’s best. 

thanks

Emm 

The only protection is to have a catloc fitted by your Toyota dealer. It is still only a deterrent and determined thieves will still steal it. My son and I have both had catlocs fitted. 

The police seem incapable of catching the rogues and bringing them to justice. 

Install a Catloc, it will cost £250 fitted but the best deterrent by far, you get get one from your local Toyota dealer 

• 3 weeks later...

My 2008 Prius had the catalytic converter (catcon) stolen in 2019. I had it replaced with a genuine Toyota catcon from insurance and had a CatLoc fitted at the same time. Several weeks later the catcon was attacked again despite the CatLoc. The thieves did not get the catcon this second time, but they did damage the exhaust system such that it had to be replaced anyway. On advice, this time I had a non-genuine catcon fitted (because of the smaller amount of valuable metal in it). It has not been attacked since. So I do wonder about the value of a CatLoc. Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mEPbRjGTTh14CjtAA  I'm returning to Australia in several weeks so I am selling the Prius (and the catcon with the CatLoc separately or together with the car) if anyone is interested. The catcon is virtually new.  So is the CatLoc. The Prius is is good condition with new 12V Battery, new tyres, recharged air conditioning August 2020, full service at Toyota last year, headlights de-fogged, rims professionally cleaned of rust and debris at Kwik Fit, detailed in early 2019. Other bits and pieces maybe available too.  Peterjohnson.oz@gmail.com

On 9/15/2020 at 9:42 AM, Chris Dance said:

The only protection is to have a catloc fitted by your Toyota dealer. It is still only a deterrent and determined thieves will still steal it. My son and I have both had catlocs fitted. 

The police seem incapable of catching the rogues and bringing them to justice. 

I doubt very much that the police are incapable of catching theives. The police persons are very capable but just not allocated to that type of issue. They are probably too busy filling out governance paperwork centred on the latest political correctness drive. The chances are they have a very good idea exactly who is collecting cats since they only need to check the scrap dealers who deal with that type of metal. However, resources  dictate reductions of policing time. I believe that the propaganda refers to this as "efficiency savings"

• 2 weeks later...

Parked at my local ALDI this morning and when I got back found a handwritten message that the - very kind - writer had seen my 2007 and another car being attacked and the cats stolen.  Advised me to go into the shop for more details.  Writer witnessed and had called police.  Inside shop staff said cars had been jacked up. BUT having read this thread and a couple of others, two weeks ago I had a guy in London put a catloc on for me.  Sure enough it had worked!  Bit of a dent in it but other than that attack repelled!  Called into my local tyre and exhaust guy who confirmed all was well.  He was thrilled it had worked.  Said they were having these all the time - just this morning had done a £1500 insurance job.  I got my catloc for £70 including fitting - London Tyres Romford Road E12. Sad thing is I'm now thinking of selling my amazing car cos I don't want the parking anxiety.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links