Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Catalytic Converter Theft Solutions - Catloc, etc

citycash

The catalytic converter, for my 1.6 petrol only (non-hybrid) gen 2 Auris, was stolen three weeks ago around 9pm from a densely populated area in North London.  Repair cost is £3k  - luckily insurance agreed to pay this time but won't have the car for at least a month as parts are on back order.   Witness told me that it was four men who were gone in four minutes.  

I really like my car as it's the Excel model and wanted to keep it long-term. I was thinking of fitting a catloc and tilt alarm but I am now seriously considering selling it.

Bottom line - thieves don't care if it's hybrid or not. 

• Like 2

Well it was only matter of time for thieves to start taking cats from 1.6,  it’s about where the catalytic converter location and how easily can be removed from the car, hybrid Toyota comes as bonus high price because of some extra metals inside. 1.33 and 1.4 diesel are safe bet. Where 1.6 and 1.8 hybrids are easy targets. Cat lock should do it., and perhaps diesel badges on the car, so they won’t stopping by next time. It’s not £3k price of a new cat but £1.3 -£1.5 instead in Toyota garage. 👍 insurance cover this, at the end we pay for that reason and we should not be worried using the insurance to cover all, most covers let you use two claims per year before anything changes in price for next one. 

Interesting idea this chap has had with regards making an alarmed frame to go under the car, for when it is parked on his drive (in Rugby, in this story).

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/crime/rugby-residents-warning-after-twice-confronting-pipe-wielding-catalytic-converter-thieves-on-his-drive-3159859

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 8:37 PM, Saxmaniac said:

4 sets of tyres in 75k miles? Sounds heavy 

We are on our 4th set at 88k miles.  The Dunlop that it arrived from the factory with didn't even make it to 15k miles before they were shot.  If we'd stuck with them, we'd be on our 5th set by now!  Overall the wear has been pretty minimal on all tyres used since the Dunlops were replaced, but the Auris seems to collect pothole damage and nails and things quite readily - thus 4 sets.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have fitted a steel plate to mine, in fact two, one on top of the other, of the same design.  One is 3mm and the other 2mm so 5mm all told.  Fitted using locking wheel bolts x4 chamfered down so they are not so easy to grip with a pipe wrench or similar. The ones I have fitted have a curved front and fit very well although you do need the washers supplied between the plate and the body on the shorter bolts to keep the plate away from the cat. I painted the plate black with VHT paint.

I am going to get one of the plates re-made in 2 or 3mm stainless steel if I can - even harder to cut through.  Hardened steel would be good but difficult to have done I believe - I have asked around. I suppose I could end up with 7mm of plate 3mm + 2mm in steel and 2mm in Stainless.  Wonder how much less I would get to the gallon!!!!.

One thing I did was to bend the holes slightly to help force air onto the cat when moving to help cooling.

I have also etched the cat and I have a wire cage to fit and a cat alarm that goes off if the exhaust pipe is being cut - by vibration. Must get on with them when I can.

Big problem is working under the car on my back - can only do a bit at a time now even with the car on jacking ramps (good bit of equipment).

12 hours ago, Geoff P said:

I have fitted a steel plate to mine, in fact two, one on top of the other, of the same design.  One is 3mm and the other 2mm so 5mm all told.  Fitted using locking wheel bolts x4 chamfered down so they are not so easy to grip with a pipe wrench or similar. The ones I have fitted have a curved front and fit very well although you do need the washers supplied between the plate and the body on the shorter bolts to keep the plate away from the cat. I painted the plate black with VHT paint.

I am going to get one of the plates re-made in 2 or 3mm stainless steel if I can - even harder to cut through.  Hardened steel would be good but difficult to have done I believe - I have asked around. I suppose I could end up with 7mm of plate 3mm + 2mm in steel and 2mm in Stainless.  Wonder how much less I would get to the gallon!!!!.

One thing I did was to bend the holes slightly to help force air onto the cat when moving to help cooling.

I have also etched the cat and I have a wire cage to fit and a cat alarm that goes off if the exhaust pipe is being cut - by vibration. Must get on with them when I can.

Big problem is working under the car on my back - can only do a bit at a time now even with the car on jacking ramps (good bit of equipment).

Nice bit of engineering mate, well done and good luck for the future (scumbags nicked cat from my Gen 2 Prius in 2019, it was in car park at Rotherham Hospital, I was visiting my Mum who was very ill. My mate, who owns his own repair garage put me an  aftermarket cat and new exhaust on for £400, the cheapo aftermarket cat works perfectly and has no appeal to theives)

It is not a total solution but ALL hybrid owners of all models may wish to know that in Derbyshire...and possibly many other counties...the police have been co-operating with Vertu Toyota and supplying them with Smartwater kits.  This week I was offered a Smartwater application free of charge on the CHR-R I was taking delivery of and as a result the catalyser and adjoining tubing have been treated. The application is unique and you are given a certificate and window stickers. It means anyone handling the cat will have the DNA on their body or clothing etc and it can be traced back to you and the garage. Apparently the reason there have been so few prosecutions the the difficulty of proving ownership when cats have been discovered in thieves' possession. 

One small step but it could mean that it becomes much less attractive to these scoundrels.  The service manager at Vertu told me that in his experience CH-R cars are not targeted because the cat is difficult to reach. But he did confirm that they have experienced cats being stolen from Prius more than any other model AND that cats have been taken despite having catlocks fitted. 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3093890/free-possible-free-smar******er-thief-detection-kits-from-your-local-police-forces

• Like 1

Interesting about the aftermarket Cat being of no interest to sub-human, peanut brained, moronic bits of filth.

Must remember that for the future.

My local dealer knew nothing of this announcement maybe it’s not yet filtered down 

I would be surprised it the dealer Principle didn’t know about it, it’s been around a week now.

2 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

My local dealer knew nothing of this announcement maybe it’s not yet filtered down 

Various Police forces have been running campaigns for Smartwater marking kits from April - usually week long initiatives - and a couple of these have been posted on Toyota Owners Club (eg. Sussex Police).

• 9 months later...

Thanks for this thread, I will get my local dealer to smart water mark the cat on my car when I visit next.

The Toyota CatLoc at £250 seems rather expensive (assuming they are stainless at the price?) v the £47 (galv) eBay versions available?

Anyone have the cheaper ones fitted and are they up to the job and any suggestions on bolts? security wheel bolts? Allen bolts with ball bearings glued in?

Thanks!

PS - is it right the 1.6 are now also a likely target in addition to the 1.8's?

2 hours ago, tapir said:

Thanks for this thread, I will get my local dealer to smart water mark the cat on my car when I visit next.

The Toyota CatLoc at £250 seems rather expensive (assuming they are stainless at the price?) v the £47 (galv) eBay versions available?

The Toyota one is marine-grade stainless steel. 

• Like 1

I fitted a stainless plate to mine, 3mm I think, eBay purchase but haven't seen them since! About £100. I was very careful about galvanic corrosion, fitted big fibre washers between the plate and any mild steel car bodywork, also masses of chassis wax over contact points. Peugeot wheel bolts as recommended by TonyHSD

• Like 1

Yes, cat plate off eBay, my one was one of the first available stainless steel 1.5mm thick, security bolts from Peugeot off Amazon. Here it is how it looks now 2 years after installation and back then in January 2020. , total traveled 60k miles, no problems with it or catalytic converter itself. , luckily no thefts 🤞. Also best to remove hybrid badges all around. 👍

4298F082-BFC4-4D45-8C57-408F8CA7B078.jpeg

32D5DB55-92E7-4343-83F9-230E73D41C7E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 12:45 PM, TonyHSD said:

security bolts from Peugeot off Amazon.

32D5DB55-92E7-4343-83F9-230E73D41C7E.jpeg

Have you got a link to the wheel bolts used or just a description I can use to find? I can't seem to find them, thanks!

16 minutes ago, tapir said:

Have you got a link to the wheel bolts used or just a description I can use to find? I can't seem to find them, thanks!

This one , great price actually 👍https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McGard-Locking-Wheel-Nuts-Standard-26001SU-/165308864129?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, mpm235 said:

Nice bit of engineering mate, well done and good luck for the future (scumbags nicked cat from my Gen 2 Prius in 2019, it was in car park at Rotherham Hospital, I was visiting my Mum who was very ill. My mate, who owns his own repair garage put me an  aftermarket cat and new exhaust on for £400, the cheapo aftermarket cat works perfectly and has no appeal to theives)

Hi mate. Thanks for sharing.

1. Do you know what cheapo cat he installed?
  2. Did it came with oxygen sensor?
  3. Did you have to replace the O2 sensor?
  4. Why did you replace the whole exhaust?
  5. Where is the garage located? I am in SE London, Crystal Palace and need help with my Auris TS.

Thanks.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, citycash said:

this epidemic theft of converters would virtually dry up.

I we would not give up our right to carry guns. If we were able to protect our property, there will be no issue at all.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, Geoff P said:

and a cat alarm that goes off if the exhaust pipe is being cut - by vibration

GeoffP - do you have any details about this 'exhaust pipe alarm'?

Hi,

I have an Auris 2014 in Sweden and recently the catalytic is stolen, kindly  can someone advice me with shields protection or any suggested protection as well I am thinking to have an alarm system , the car now in Toyota under the service and waiting for the catalytic to come,Note the driver side is on the left.

Guys I really need your suggestions and recommendations .

thank you all,  Claudius

• Sad 3