Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Catalytic Converter Theft Solutions - Catloc, etc

citycash

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

Possibly a cause, BUT, I have had several Auris and consider myself competent at getting good MPG from my Hybrids (literally had 10 or more) and have never had 560 mile range from one. The current Corolla has a range of 530 or so and it is waaaayyyyy more fuel efficient than an Auris, are you correct in the range of 560? I have never seen that much range in one

The current cooler weather will also reduce consumption, it is slowly going down on my new Corolla with cooler mornings going to work 

Hi,

Greg, yes, non OEM CAT.

Parts King, Yes, 560 used to be average between march and October, November to march would normally be 480 to 500 on a tank. I guess I'm just not in the hurry type of guy...

I had to record milage and did for the last 7 years,  always filled car with 40 liters and that would give me the ranges I stated above.

Since that car was fixed I did about 3k miles and struggling to get more than 440 miles out of it. I do about 1k miles a month, mostly city driving, some motorway.

Cheers

You must drive like little Miss Daisey lol I have not seen that range on my Corolla and that does 70 MPG 

In addition to the catalyst, as the car has done so few miles in the last months, it could be that your brakes need a strip down and clean.  Our Auris is the same age as yours, I took the brakes apart last year.  Despite a full Toyota service history, one of the calipers was clearly starting to become 'sticky' (the slider pins get 'gunged' up) -  as evidenced by the pad wear not being even.  Yours could be suffering similarly.

If you can find an empty, flat stretch of road, when driving slowly knock the car into neutral, the car should come to a halt with no suddenness at the very end of its motion.  If you can feel a tiny abruptness as it halts, then the brakes are probably sticking.  Also check for one wheel running at a higher temperature than its opposite on that axle, at the end of a journey.  Assume that they will be hot(!) when attempting this for safety's sake(!), even though they probably won't be especially so.

Ok, , I'll take it as a compliment. But in all honesty I just drive normally, pay attention to what's around me and doing my best to stick to speed limits, to general bemusement of everyone stuck behind me in a 20mph zone. 

Always thought that mpg I was getting was just normal and never spent any time to think about it. This auris was my company car before I bought it, so there wasn't any requirement to drive economically in the first place.

So, back to the subject, could new CAT cause the reduction, or could it be a software problem?

It could very well be an issue with the Cat, the reason a genuine Cat is expensive is the level of precious metals in it, the aftermarket one will not be the same

19 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

It could very well be an issue with the Cat, the reason a genuine Cat is expensive is the level of precious metals in it, the aftermarket one will not be the same

This seem to be the only variable. Ok, based on that, do I have a case against the insurance company? Has anybody done that and won? How to do it, where to go? 

Car was as far as I'm concerned not returned to me as it was before the incident. And considering that I lost my NCD and insuring something now costs 4 times more than it used to before I dared to claim for damage that was done when the car was parked, I just want something back. Sorry about a rant, did most of the ranting when it happened but still, this just isn't right...

On the basis they made the decision to fit a non genuine one then yes, speak to your insurance company in the first instance, good luck

13 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

On the basis they made the decision to fit a non genuine one then yes, speak to your insurance company in the first instance, good luck

I'm sure you mean we'll Greg but that "good luck" really hurt LoL.  I'm just astonished that something like this can be deemed as drivers fault even though the car was, we'll, legality parked. Why isn't this manufacturers fault? Perhaps way too big for insurance company to go to war with...

Ha, thats why I didnt put any exclamation marks after it lol

Why isnt the cloned key situation by AUDI, BMW etc a manufacturing fault?  how about car panels being stolen from cars, a massive problem, surely that could be a manufacturers faullt for not welding them on? We had the whole interior stolen from a Landcruiser, yes the WHOLE interior, carpets, seats, trim, and front end panels, The list goes on. The manufacturer makes the car, and will put in place what they can, they are not responsible for the criminal underworld 

• Like 1

The insurance company are responsible for the repairs, so any issues with the repairs, such as, in your case, a reduction in fuel economy possibly due to the fitting of an aftermarket catalytic converter, need to go back to the insurer. Most insurers provide some form of guarantee for their repairs, so the onus is on them to provide some type of remedy.

If no joy from your insurer, the next step is the financial ombudsman -

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/insurance/motor-insurance

Thanks all for all the tips.

OK, breaks checked- car just rolls in neutral without any resistance or noise, all wheels are fairly cool after my 20 miles today.

Parts King- I understand where you coming from but in my head  my only fault was purchasing this car. OK, I don't want this to turn into a rant about how unfair insurance is. From the other hand this car costed nothing in repairs in 7 years and so far 75k miles, just servicing cost and usual stuff that needs replacing when time comes, so about 4 sets of tyres, three light bulbs and two sets of wipers, so as far as reliability goes I can't complain. And I don't. 

Filled up to the brim yesterday, reset trip computer, took ODO reading and we will see- but computer says range 409 miles- that s just crap, considering it isn't even cold outside.

Frosty- yes, I got a warranty cert from the insurance company, probably time to read what it actually says.

Cheers, 

Hi Will, the difference in range when fully loaded with fuel comes down to the petrol garage pumps, different pumps are set at slightly different pressures to shout off and stop pumps fuel into the car, so this can upset your estimate range on the dashboard. Also fuel quality is different and lower then previous years. Add some fuel additives and see how the car performance is and you will notice range goes up too. I fill up my tank 2-3 times a week and I know that from personal experience, if all tyres set correctly, brakes does not bind, no warning lights on dash that’s all pretty much. My best readings of range around 540-550 miles but most often is 460-495miles. I do obviously a lots of motorway journeys. 
Regards 

4 sets of tyres in 75k miles? Sounds heavy 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

4 sets of tyres in 75k miles? Sounds heavy 

Hi,

Never  actually wore the  tyres down, but for some  reason Michelin Cross Climate pick up all the nails, screws and other sharps from the road  a  lot. some cases they can be repaired but  most of the time damage is in the area which can't  be legally repaired.Fronts wear quicker,  rear would have been changed once probably if it wasn't for damage.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:47 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi Will, the difference in range when fully loaded with fuel comes down to the petrol garage pumps, different pumps are set at slightly different pressures to shout off and stop pumps fuel into the car, so this can upset your estimate range on the dashboard. Also fuel quality is different and lower then previous years. Add some fuel additives and see how the car performance is and you will notice range goes up too. I fill up my tank 2-3 times a week and I know that from personal experience, if all tyres set correctly, brakes does not bind, no warning lights on dash that’s all pretty much. My best readings of range around 540-550 miles but most often is 460-495miles. I do obviously a lots of motorway journeys. 
Regards 

Never really paid much attention  to  what computer estimates and as I live near Shell petrol station and use pretty much same pump every time  there have only been maybe 20  occasions  when I used a different petrol station.

I do agree that  different  pumps "feel" differently but can't see how this could possibly make any difference. 

• 3 weeks later...

Parked at my local ALDI this morning and when I got back found a handwritten message that the - very kind - writer had seen my 2007 and another car being attacked and the cats stolen.  Advised me to go into the shop for more details.  Writer witnessed and had called police.  Inside shop staff said cars had been jacked up. BUT having read this thread and a couple of others, two weeks ago I had a guy in London put a catloc on for me.  Sure enough it had worked!  Bit of a dent in it but other than that attack repelled!  Called into my local tyre and exhaust guy who confirmed all was well.  He was thrilled it had worked.  Said they were having these all the time - just this morning had done a £1500 insurance job.  I got my catloc for £70 including fitting - London Tyres Romford Road E12. He does different models and mail order. Sad thing is I'm now thinking of selling my amazing car cos I don't want the parking anxiety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I just joined this forum as had the cat stolen off my Auris Hybrid 2013 Fri night.

I used to be on the Prius UK Yahoo group from 2007-2014 (2004 T4) and then bought the Auris so had it for 6 years now. Not had any problems with it (apart from a foggy reversing camera) til now.

After a sleepless night thinking about wiring 50,000 volts up to the cat and buying a crossbow other ridiculous ideas, I think I've calmed down enough to have started considering more civilised solutions 😄

I can state, quite confidently, that in my case, de-badging and covering the drive selector would have been a total waste of time.

It took all of 3 seconds with a torch at 10:57pm for them to look at the cat and decide they wanted it.

All got caught on CCTV:

Auris Catalytic converter theft Part 1 - The checkout

Auris Catalytic converter theft Part 2 - the deed

Not seen in this footage but from my neighbour's camera is the 4th bloke who was standing near the getaway car with a baseball bat.

Seems like the same gang (was 3 members then but baseball bat is an common denominator) who did a neighbours Prius a few weeks back. Her husband has a 2016 Auris Hybrid with a Catloc fitted which seemed to deter them from witness accounts.

I was shocked why the car's tilt alarm didn't go off when it was jacked up so high, only to find it doesn't have one fitted! I saw one on eBay for £24 odd, but no idea if the Toyota factory alarm supports external sensors?

If I can get the offical Toyota one for £100, I'm likely to just get that, once I've figured out which cat to fit. 

Does anyone know if aftermarket ones affect emmissions and/or mpg?

• Sad 2

On 10/3/2020 at 8:28 PM, Will GX13 said:

Never really paid much attention  to  what computer estimates and as I live near Shell petrol station and use pretty much same pump every time  there have only been maybe 20  occasions  when I used a different petrol station.

I do agree that  different  pumps "feel" differently but can't see how this could possibly make any difference. 

I know someone who had the cat stolen from their old Lexus SUV, they then had a non OEM cat fitted so it doesn't get stolen again. They said the car is using more fuel compared to the OEM cat. 

8 hours ago, cb2 said:

Hi all, I just joined this forum as had the cat stolen off my Auris Hybrid 2013 Fri night.

I used to be on the Prius UK Yahoo group from 2007-2014 (2004 T4) and then bought the Auris so had it for 6 years now. Not had any problems with it (apart from a foggy reversing camera) til now.

After a sleepless night thinking about wiring 50,000 volts up to the cat and buying a crossbow other ridiculous ideas, I think I've calmed down enough to have started considering more civilised solutions 😄

I can state, quite confidently, that in my case, de-badging and covering the drive selector would have been a total waste of time.

It took all of 3 seconds with a torch at 10:57pm for them to look at the cat and decide they wanted it.

All got caught on CCTV:

Auris Catalytic converter theft Part 1 - The checkout

Auris Catalytic converter theft Part 2 - the deed

Not seen in this footage but from my neighbour's camera is the 4th bloke who was standing near the getaway car with a baseball bat.

Seems like the same gang (was 3 members then but baseball bat is an common denominator) who did a neighbours Prius a few weeks back. Her husband has a 2016 Auris Hybrid with a Catloc fitted which seemed to deter them from witness accounts.

I was shocked why the car's tilt alarm didn't go off when it was jacked up so high, only to find it doesn't have one fitted! I saw one on ebay for £24 odd, but no idea if the Toyota factory alarm supports external sensors?

If I can get the offical Toyota one for £100, I'm likely to just get that, once I've figured out which cat to fit. 

Does anyone know if aftermarket ones affect emmissions and/or mpg?

Sorry to hear your pain. Non OEM does appear to use more fuel. Hybrid doesn't get tested for emissions. 

I was looking to get the auris hybrid or Lexus ct200h earlier this year, but having read about the cat being stolen on these cars I stay put. 

• Like 1

Thanks @snowBALLs

Just rang Toyota this morning. They haven't got any in stock. On back-order with no ETA. Insurance company said could be waiting 6 months based on their experience!

I just ordered two cat protective plates off flea bay, one for wife’s Auris hybrid and one for my Gen4. Unusually thick at 3mm (most seem 1.5 or 2mm). Local garage is going to fit them. Should have them by end of week, will have to see what time the garage has to fit them. Will take photos when they fitted and post on here. 

• Like 3

Thanks @Catlover. I take it your cars still have the Toyota cats? I understand the thieves don't go for the after-market ones.

Any other camera angles ? The scum look the same sort of build that has been seen in Bexley and Dartford

Got some footage from opposite neighbours cctv (someone tried to do his van a few months back) - will upload too and post link.

The Metropolitan Police have been useless so far. They never followed up on the neighbour's theft - said they didn't have the resources. I was told an investigating officer would ring me within 24-48 hours. That was 66 hours ago.

I'm wondering why the police don't use some of those gazillions of cameras with ANPR that have been put up all over the place?? Even if the crims are using cloned plates, at least they can trace their movements!

And contact Google/Apple and/or the mobile phone network companies - if the crims are dumb enough to leave their location setting turned on on their phones, it would be trivial to tie them to locations and times from events caught on cctv and also track their current location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cb2 said:

Thanks @Catlover. I take it your cars still have the Toyota cats? I understand the thieves don't go for the after-market ones.

Yes, still on originals. Not that the tealeafs would know till they look underneath, and I wouldnt know if they can tell then Maybe.

If it was my car i would get some tool or high carbon steel bars welded to the pipe work

• Like 1