Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corrola, good and bad points.

North Yorkshire Steve

7 hours ago, Jiff said:

Yes i do Thanks for the info I'll see if I can silence that 

Jeff 

Dash cam definitely has a start up noise, it can be disabled via the Nextbase CamViewer app

DAB+ signal quality is really crappy. I thought that the Speakers were the main reason for a miserable experiense, but they're not. 

I got a app from Google Play with content from all DAB radiostations, but transmitted by streaming. The difference in clarity and fine details are truly amazing, and I no longer have the feeling that a cloth is covering the Speakers

• Like 1

Perhaps it's due to areas you live in or the stations you like but my DAB+ has been great. It was always patchy where I live (Hampshire/Wiltshire border) in my old car, but has been rock solid in my Corolla.

They still have not sorted receiving FM traffic information when in DAB!  Also if using a USB to play music and traffic information cuts in if you press cancel on the screen it goes to the radio not back to the USB, this worked correctly on the Auris.

11 minutes ago, Wudzi said:

Perhaps it's due to areas you live in or the stations you like but my DAB+ has been great. It was always patchy where I live (Hampshire/Wiltshire border) in my old car, but has been rock solid in my Corolla.

I'm from Denmark. Most stations are transmitted with 60-80 kbit bitrate, wich are very low numbers. Bitrate through streaming are 192 to 256 kbit. 

19 hours ago, North Yorkshire Steve said:

Had the second test drive today in a 1.8 TS. It was noticeably less punchy in the mid range.

So order placed for a 2.0 design spec in black pick up on 15th december. 

The car we drove (Excel spec) had a startup chime which was the same as our Nextbase dash cam. I wonder if Toyota use Nextbase software for the road sign camera?

Anyway many thanks for all the info you have posted it has been very helpful. 

Good choice, 2ltr you will enjoy, especially with the TS, and you still get great fuel economy compared to a standard 2 ltr, Hope you enjoy. Remember to post some pics when you get it!

Anyone else smacked their forehead on the HB rear parcel shelf yet?

Is it just me or is the power steering a bit juddery at times, particularly at around full lock when not moving.

Also what is up with the radar cruise when you approach behind lorries, goes wierd!!

I also keep forgetting to switch the hybrid system off before getting out the car...

5 hours ago, HybridLover said:

Is it just me or is the power steering a bit juddery at times, particularly at around full lock when not moving.

Also what is up with the radar cruise when you approach behind lorries, goes wierd!!

I also keep forgetting to switch the hybrid system off before getting out the car...

What does it do that is weird?

7 hours ago, HybridLover said:

No, never done that in any HB I've owned.

No, sounds like a fault.

Weird in what way? Mine just slows the vehicle as it's supposed to.

Not sure what you mean - are you saying you forget to switch the car off before you leave? I don't think we can blame the car for your inability to remember to do something pretty fundamental like switching it off when you've finished driving :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

No, never done that in any HB I've owned.

No, sounds like a fault.

Weird in what way? Mine just slows the vehicle as it's supposed to.

Not sure what you mean - are you saying you forget to switch the car off before you leave? I don't think we can blame the car for your inability to remember to do something pretty fundamental like switching it off when you've finished driving 🙂

Haha, yeah it's me forgetting to switch it off because I am not used to it and because there is no key in the ignition switch to remind you 🙂

A BMW I drove once had a slot to put the key into and you then pressed ignition switch.

RE Cruise control: The manual says that the radar  might have trouble detecting vehicles in cetain circumstances, like lorries because they are higher up so it detects the gap underneath I am guessing,

The issue I had behind a lorry was that the car sped up then slowed dwn a bit eratically - it's ok behind cars etc though, however the adaptive cruise I have used in Fords and VWs had no problem with lorries. The other issue with the cruise control is that it goes up and down in increments of 5 mph, although you can fine tune it by speeding up on the gas or slowing and then pressing set, but that is fiddly.

Another one, the parking sensors are pretty sensitive, although you get used to the tolerances. I like the feature where if you try full lock it will "predict" if you'll side into something and beep even though you are not actually near the object.

• Like 1

Lots of comments with which I agree so at pains of repeating:

My 1.8 is great and has the high boot tray of the 2.0 as it has a space saver wheel. It is the tool holders which are higher than the wheel which require the higher tray.

Unlike many similar competitors the Toyota has plenty of physical buttons and controls but I echo the other complains that the Hold button needs to be activated every time you start: that is a pain.  I also find the cruise control overly complicated as you need to press one place to energise before using the Set function to engage and then Resume to increase the speed set.  I suspect this is intended as a safety feature to stop inadvertent selection.  If you have the adaptive function switched off you can fine tune the cruise setting to the precise speed.  If you have the ACC on it only changes in 5 mph increments.  Pressing Resume I occasionally switch it off - fat fingers.

I find noise is indeed significant over 60-65 as mentioned.

I have a hatchback and miss the 12v Socket in the boot.

The single USB point is on the right side of the passenger (left hand seat) I would prefer that in the centre.

There is not much stowage space in the front for bunches of keys - a disadvantage of a keyless system.

If the door is open the car continually bongs at you.  I haven't found a way of switching that off.

I have no issue with either autoheadlight or auto wipe functions.  However it did catch me out that you cannot select Rear Fog light when lamps are set to auto.

I agree the cabin is dark but I soon got used to it.

Consumption-wise the results are interesting.  My consumption has settled around 65-67 varying between high 70s to low 60s.  Must driving is on country B roads where a cruise speed 40-45 is quite comfortable.  Driving at an true 60 on a trunk road I get 67 one way and 57 the other (one is more downhill) at an average journey speed of 40.  Hwever when the garage took the car back they knocked the consumption down to 48.  The telematics are great for keeping an eye on what the car has been doing when someone else is driving it.

Bottom line though, I love driving it so much that I hog the driving.

• Like 2

I just want to make one point separately.  There was a critique that there is frequently a can't connect to server message.  I found moving the car nearer my home router improved that.  I intend to fit a wifi extender in my garage(attached to the house) to see if that improves connectivity.

17 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I just want to make one point separately.  There was a critique that there is frequently a can't connect to server message.  I found moving the car nearer my home router improved that.  I intend to fit a wifi extender in my garage(attached to the house) to see if that improves connectivity.

Thanks Roy, I am having the space saver fitted on Wednesday, Toyota got the order wrong and mine came with the standard TRK!!!

Is the raised boot up to the same level as the back of the rear seats folded down or slightly lower?

HL, the boot floor is perfectly level when the seats are folded.  As there are just we two and our dog uses a travel cage (a nylon fabric with vented panel one) it is ideal.  She can also see out the back through a mesh panel.  Quite funny really as on one journey as she gave warning of a motor cycle following too close..

Another (non) feature of the Toyota cruise control is that it allows you to undertake, whereas when I've used similar in VWs etc cars on right lane are detected and doesn't allow for undertaking 🙂

From HB manual re radar sensor page 319:

When the sensor may not be correctly detecting the vehicle ahead In the case of the following and depending on the conditions, operate the brake pedal when deceleration of the system is insufficient or operate the accelerator pedal when acceleration is required. As the sensor may not be able to correctly detect these types of vehicles, the approach warning (P.315) may not be activated. ●Vehicles that cut in suddenly ●Vehicles traveling at low speeds ●Vehicles that are not moving in the same lane ●Vehicles with small rear ends (trailers with no load on board, etc.) ●Motorcycles traveling in the same lane ●When water or snow thrown up by the surrounding vehicles hinders the detecting of the sensor ●When your vehicle is pointing upwards (caused by a heavy load in the luggage compartment, etc.) ●Preceding vehicle has an extremely high ground clearance

"Another (non) feature of the Toyota cruise control is that it allows you to undertake, whereas when I've used similar in VWs etc cars on right lane are detected and doesn't allow for undertaking 🙂"

Indeed, I frequently follow trucks in lane 1 with the maximum spacing set and in lane 2 there are frequently several cars alongside that same space travelling at the same speed as a truck in lane 2 is overtaking a slower truck in lane 1.  Lane 2 traffic then bunches up and I continue on speed in lane 1 naturally undertaking lane 2.  You do have to watch for the impatient driver cutting in from lane 2 especially if they then want to reach an exit.

• Like 1

Has anyone installed car door edge protectors?

The products out there look awful.

2 hours ago, HybridLover said:

Haha, yeah it's me forgetting to switch it off because I am not used to it and because there is no key in the ignition switch to remind you 🙂

A BMW I drove once had a slot to put the key into and you then pressed ignition switch.

RE Cruise control: The manual says that the radar  might have trouble detecting vehicles in cetain circumstances, like lorries because they are higher up so it detects the gap underneath I am guessing,

The issue I had behind a lorry was that the car sped up then slowed dwn a bit eratically - it's ok behind cars etc though, however the adaptive cruise I have used in Fords and VWs had no problem with lorries. The other issue with the cruise control is that it goes up and down in increments of 5 mph, although you can fine tune it by speeding up on the gas or slowing and then pressing set, but that is fiddly.

Another one, the parking sensors are pretty sensitive, although you get used to the tolerances. I like the feature where if you try full lock it will "predict" if you'll side into something and beep even though you are not actually near the object.

Hopefully you'll eventually get used to pressing the button to switch off. It's not a problem I've ever had and I like keyless systems to be complete keyless. Although every now and again I'll arrive home from golf and scare myself when I get to my front door and realise I don't have my keys on me. Then I realise that since I managed to drive home the keys must be somewhere close by - they are usually in my golf bag.

I've not noticed any issues with HGVs and most of the time I sit in lane one on the motorway so am often running up behind them. Only time they've been a pain is when they leave the motorway and it takes the CC a long time to realise the way is now clear. I've got used to the +/- 5mph increments now. If it wasn't adaptive it'd be a nuisance but since it is adaptive and - for me at least - reliable I don't care. If it's set at 60 and I'm only doing 58 because of an HGV that's fine. I've driven dozens of miles like that.

I hear the parking alarms a lot because I park my car in the garage. It's like a 'Welcome home symphony'. Only thing I've noticed is that occasionally one of the alarms sticks on until the car is switched off.

• Like 1

Actually another complaint I do have are the buttons on the steering wheel. They lack tactile feedback and the 'Resume CC' button is a particular pain. Many times I've pressed it and failed to do so because I've been off centre. I've also once or twice cancelled CC instead of resuming. Honda's buttons were much better in my opinion. They were a concave circle on a rocker and had raised bezels help identify them. There was a definite 'bump' when contact was made.

2018-honda-jazz-exclusive-hatchback-stee

I never once mis-pressed those buttons.

Actually it would also be nice if CC didn't have to be switched on every time. Much like Park Hold I'd rather it always be available. I've never really understood why we need an on/off for CC anyway. Active/inactive ought to be enough. At least Honda gives its drivers a dedicated switch ('Main' in the image above) that locks the CC either on or off.

I hope I haven't got a faulty CC then, it was only that once behind a lorry and all the rest of time on CC it was fine. Will have to monitor it as I've only done 90 miles on the motorway so far.

4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Actually another complaint I do have are the buttons on the steering wheel. They lack tactile feedback and the 'Resume CC' button is a particular pain. Many times I've pressed it and failed to do so because I've been off centre. I've also once or twice cancelled CC instead of resuming. Honda's buttons were much better in my opinion. They were a concave circle on a rocker and had raised bezels help identify them. There was a definite 'bump' when contact was made.

2018-honda-jazz-exclusive-hatchback-stee

I never once mis-pressed those buttons.

Actually it would also be nice if CC didn't have to be switched on every time. Much like Park Hold I'd rather it always be available. I've never really understood why we need an on/off for CC anyway. Active/inactive ought to be enough. At least Honda gives its drivers a dedicated switch ('Main' in the image above) that locks the CC either on or off.

Can you explain the problem you have with Park Hold. I never have to touch it unless I choose to. With my set up I press brake pedal then start button. The parking brake is automaticaly engaged. I press throttle pedal and parking brake dis-engages automaticaly as I pull away. When I have finished driving I press start/stop button and parking brake engages automaticaly again as everything powers off. I only use the park hold switch if I am stopped at traffic lights etc for any length of time if I so choose, but mostly I just hold a car on the brakes untill I can proceed. I don't need to touch the park hold or park brake switches at all.

Just now, bigblock said:

Can you explain the problem you have with Park Hold. I never have to touch it unless I choose to. With my set up I press brake pedal then start button. The parking brake is automaticaly engaged. I press throttle pedal and parking brake dis-engages automaticaly as I pull away. When I have finished driving I press start/stop button and parking brake engages automaticaly again as everything powers off. I only use the park hold switch if I am stopped at traffic lights etc for any length of time if I so choose, but mostly I just hold a car on the brakes untill I can proceed. I don't need to touch the park hold or park brake switches at all.

I used the wrong name. I'm actually talking about Brake Hold. That's the function that keeps the foot brake on until you press the accelerator to move off. It allows you to remove your foot from the brake pedal when stationary, and doesn't require you to press any buttons (once you've switched it on when first starting the car).

20 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I used the wrong name. I'm actually talking about Brake Hold. That's the function that keeps the foot brake on until you press the accelerator to move off. It allows you to remove your foot from the brake pedal when stationary, and doesn't require you to press any buttons (once you've switched it on when first starting the car).

I get where your coming from now Andrue. It's all about a personal preferance at the end of the day I guess, So many variables with these Corolla's. I bet no 2 people have got them set up the same.

bigblock, I am sure you are correct there.  My preference is for brake hold to be a memory setting rather than a power off reset.  As much of the car is computer operated, I am sure there is a possibility of a software upgrade.   

I have asked Toyota the question.

• Like 1