Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 Corolla rear wiper fuse, position, colour & identity?

olddriver

Does anyone know the position, colour and identity of the fuse for the rear wiper motor of a 1998 Corolla?  Is it positioned under the kick panel to the right of the accelerator pedal?

I have been self isolating, so hardly used the car for 5 months, switched the rear wiper on, it moved about 5 degrees and stopped; the rubber is floppy and hence there’s probably too much friction with the glass, so hopefully it’s just the fuse and not the motor that has failed.

Hi,

Can only say about our later model but looks like,  from a diagram, that both the front and rear motors are powered from the same 25A wiper Fuse, unless each has their own.

Could be under the dash or the box /s  in the engine bay ?  Our inside box  (2006 model) is behind the glove box by the blower fan and filter

Could it be that the Motor or its Output shaft have seized up through lack of use ?

That type of motor can use plastic gears internally and they can strip, so the output shatf does not move properly but you may hear the rotor still turning.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:09 PM, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Can only say about our later model but looks like,  from a diagram, that both the front and rear motors are powered from the same 25A Wiper Fuse, unless each has their own.

Could be under the dash or the box /s  in the engine bay ?  Our inside box  (2006 model) is behind the glove box by the blower fan and filter

Could it be that the Motor or its Output shaft have seized up through lack of use ?

That type of motor can use plastic gears internally and they can strip, so the output shatf does not move properly but you may hear the rotor still turning.

Thanks.

It  looks like fusebox in the engine bay “by the blower” contains the main fuses for the engine.

You are probably correct about there being one fuse for the wipers, it is 20 amp, cream in colour, and it is in the fuse box that is situated behind the small storage box to the right of the steering column, which is just big enough to keep  my small 20 yo mobile phone in for emergencies.

The fuse was intact, the wiper refused to rotate by hand so I assumed that the gears were intact, taped a large sponge to the wiper, placed it upright so there was no friction on it, turned the wiper switch on and the wiper rotated and sat in the normal place at rest!  Amazingly, it appears that it had just jammed without blowing the fuse, although of couse as soon as I realised that there was a problem I had turned the wiper switch off.

I will get a new wiper tomorrow and fit it, I won’t bother testing it as I have the MOT on Thursday and I haven’t got time to fix it if it doesn’t work, just hope that it’s ok.

Hi,

Glad to hear it was nothing more serious or costly.

No idea about your model, but on our 2006 the rear wiper is a real problem to source the right one, seems there are two different fittings , so worth taking you old one with you to make sure its the same.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:54 PM, oldcodger said:

No idea about your model, but on our 2006 the rear wiper is a real problem to source the right one, seems there are two different fittings , so worth taking you old one with you to make sure its the same.

Yeah you are right, I ordered one from Toyota and assumed it would fit.  I gave my registration number, but although the wiper is the right length and the fitting was in the right place, the fitting appears to have been updated and doesn’t really fit, however I jammed it on and it should be good enough to get through the MOT.  It occurs to me that they have changed the fitting on the wiper AND the arm, and hence the mismatch.  There is nothing wrong with the old fitting, so I wonder if they have just made it more complicated and patented it so that Bosch can’t copy it!

My advice to anyone is perhaps buy the Bosch one, as my front ones are Bosch and there’s no problem with them. 

I will update later when I buy a Bosch one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links