Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla handbrake adjustment

Elwyn

Hi,

New to the the forum. I have a 2006 Corolla which needs the handbrake adjusting before MOT next week. I'm guessing the centre console has to be removed in order to get at the cables etc? Any tips greatly appreciated 👍

Hi,
     New to the the forum. I have a 2006 Corolla which needs the handbrake adjusting before MOT next week. I'm guessing the centre console has to be removed in order to get at the cables etc? Any tips greatly appreciated [emoji106]
- open the ashtray Infront of the gearstick and press down the black metal tab that is exposed within said ashtray and remove the tray.

- undo the 2 Philips head screws that is now showing from the ashtray area

- open up your armrest and remove felt lining if you have any in there, unbolt the 2 10mm bolts from the bottom of the inside of the armrest.

- look underneath the handbrake and you'll see a thin cover place your thumb under the cover and pry up removing it.

- unscrew your gearstick knob it may initially take a bit of force to remove anti clockwise

- remove any cigarette lighter chargers etc and place your fingers under the lip at the bottom of where the ashtray was previously and pull up; the area with the gearstick gator and cigarette lighter should come out it's okay if the plastic bends a little when prying but it shouldn't bend to the point of breaking or damaging it.

- once the gear gator has unclipped remove the cables attached to the cigarette lighter (they just pull out)

- then grip the small rectangular storage bin that is behind the gearstick and put another hand at the back where the rear central ash tray would be behind the armrest and pull up at the back and then forward until the handbrake has came out of the rectangular gap and then lift the front up by the gear stick and place the armrest on the rear seats.

I hope that helps, done it hundreds of times, any questions just ask [emoji3526]

Remi

Hi,

@jpg on toast on toast is correct on adjustiing the handbrake lever, and it may solve your problem, but before doing that its  good practice to check, clean and adjust the actual handbrake shoes.   Done as part of a regular brake service when checking the discs, pads and caliper slider bolts etc. front and rear.

Some ytube videos on doing that or you can get the Haynes manual which details it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links